Oil filter Options

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
A while back Chuck(sholdhavewrittendownthehandle) posted an oil filter # he has used on his NT as well as his ST. Can anyone point me in the right direction, can't seem to find it. Thanks

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
A while back Chuck(sholdhavewrittendownthehandle) posted an oil filter # he has used on his NT as well as his ST. Can anyone point me in the right direction, can't seem to find it. Thanks
Wallmart ST6607. about 3 to 4 bucks depending on the store. ChucksKLRST

Last edited:

prof98801

What is the best oil filter wrench to use on taking off the oil filter on the NT?

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I use the K&N 204 Filters--expensive-$14.00. With Synthetic Oil the changes are every 6000 miles. They come off with a 17mm box wrench. If you want to be decadent, a ratcheting 17mm box wrench is a real treat. I safety wire the oil filter and the drain plug together.

It's paranoia on my part, since I had a drain plug come loose on my Triumph Bonneville, losing all my oil while on an interstate. The sound of that engine blowing was unforgettable. I never want to hear that sound again.

bicyclist

What is the best oil filter wrench to use on taking off the oil filter on the NT?
Not to be a smartypants, but the one that fits. Take whatever filter you're going to use down to the chain auto parts store and find the wrench that fits it. Chuck posted pics of his. Get one like that. When you change the oil, put the wrench on the filter and then stick a 6 inch long 3/8 extension through the hole in the centerstand and into the wrench.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Not to be a smartypants, but the one that fits. Take whatever filter you're going to use down to the chain auto parts store and find the wrench that fits it. Chuck posted pics of his. Get one like that. When you change the oil, put the wrench on the filter and then stick a 6 inch long 3/8 extension through the hole in the centerstand and into the wrench.
Don't waste your money on the plastic filter wrenches that fit the flutes on the oil filter cannister as they will soon break. Get a metal filter wrench. I have one made by Lisle. If you would like, I will get you the part number. Also, a good filter choice is the Mobil1 oil filter, part # M1-108.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Top Bottom