Oil filter

Hi,thank you for accepting my membership and allowing me to join your members group,and hello from Australia. I recently purchased a 2007 deauville as i reckon they are a ripper of a bike,gr8 looks and just what i was looking for in a motorcycle. I brought it home on a trailer and have been cleaning and polishing it up and getting familiar with things and while underneath,noticed it had a k&n oil filter fitted but also noticed that the centre stand had dented it,not too bad but definitely noticeable. Can anyone possibly advise if there are non genuine filters that are suitable for the nt application or should i go genuine every time?apologies for a very long winded post.thanks

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
The center stand can dent or even puncture some oil filters that are "said" to fit the NT 700. There are some threads on here about that subject.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
If WIX filters are available in OZ, the WL10000 was designed specifically for Hondas with clearance issues. It duplicates the OE filter in physical size and performance. The other filters on the chart will work as well.

Welcome aboard!

Mike

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Yes, be careful about the length of the filters you buy. Been there.075.JPG076.JPG
I believe 3 inches (7.6 CM I believe) is too long and will interfere with the centerstand. Stick to the shorter filters and all is good.

Brad

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Good to have you on the Forum. What they said about filters.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
I am in Australia and I am currently using a Z436 filter that is commonly found on many Subaru vehicles. I actually use the Cooper branded filter (not the Ryco).

At this time I have had no problem BUT I really do not know how the cooper car oil filter compares to a motorcycle filter as far as oil pressure and filter medium goes. This information is very difficult to find and many hours of searching has revealed nothing for me.

Seagrass

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
I am in Australia and I am currently using a Z436 filter that is commonly found on many Subaru vehicles. I actually use the Cooper branded filter (not the Ryco).

At this time I have had no problem BUT I really do not know how the cooper car oil filter compares to a motorcycle filter as far as oil pressure and filter medium goes. This information is very difficult to find and many hours of searching has revealed nothing for me.

Seagrass
Seagrass is correct. A Z436 is suitable. I have been using a Z445 which fits many Nissan engines for 90,oookm with excellent results. There is a lot of misinformation available on filters but very little correct information. If you have access to trade technical data/people as I do you can get inside info. 49 years in the motor trade gives me certain advantages. Either of the two above is fine in a good brand such as Ryco or Cooper/Wesfil (both made by Ryco). Another good brand is NipponMax available from Burson Auto Parts. They are priced between the ones above and are a very good quality filter. I often use them.

Macka

OP
OP
Thank you for the welcome and thanks for all the great info.it currently has a k&n filter which has been dented on the right side.i dont want to take the risk of riding it in case a crack develops.i bit the bullet today n ordered a genuine honda filter and also a ryco rmz119 so i will compare the 3 for size once removed.once again,appreciate all your helpđź‘Ť

I use the Super Tech filters from Walmart ..I studied the arc of the centerstand clearance to the filter and the hinged end of the stand contacted the oil filter by about a 1/4"!...I was able to carefully grind off the part that interferes with it and now I can use either long or short filters....My wifes Honda CRV takes the same filter .... I must confess that I did find out the hard way...after the oil and filter change all seemed well until I kicked the centerstand up and a puddle of oil was on the ground!..I usually don't talk about my screwups but this was one I need to pass along!....:)

Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
I use the Super Tech filters from Walmart ..I studied the arc of the centerstand clearance to the filter and the hinged end of the stand contacted the oil filter by about a 1/4"!...I was able to carefully grind off the part that interferes with it and now I can use either long or short filters....My wifes Honda CRV takes the same filter .... I must confess that I did find out the hard way...after the oil and filter change all seemed well until I kicked the centerstand up and a puddle of oil was on the ground!..I usually don't talk about my screwups but this was one I need to pass along!....:)
I was wandering if there was any cutting or grinding modification that could be done to the center stand for clearance, because the Mobil One (108) filter clears at 2.75 inches but the Bosch 3300 don't and it's just at 3 inches or a hair less, the Bosch 3300 would be my preferred oil filter to use.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
+1 on Camelot's method!

I have two bikes so the mileage gets split between them. This means I only do one oil change per year on each bike. Using only one filter per year means saving $2-$3 on a filter is moot. I can save a lot more by skipping the fries with my sandwich!

DarylCincy - just because the can is larger doesn't always mean it has more filtering media. MCN had an oil filter shootout a long time ago and that's what they discovered.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
+1 on Camelot's method!

I have two bikes so the mileage gets split between them. This means I only do one oil change per year on each bike. Using only one filter per year means saving $2-$3 on a filter is moot. I can save a lot more by skipping the fries with my sandwich!

DarylCincy - just because the can is larger doesn't always mean it has more filtering media. MCN had an oil filter shootout a long time ago and that's what they discovered.
Amen! Can size is not indicative of filtering efficiency or capacity.

Mike

That filter fits a lot of modern Hondas, and they're easy to come by--my dealer even keeps them in stock... You can even get an OEM kit with a filter and a cap-wrench for only a couple of bucks more. Although the wrench is only about a one or two-use item--the nut breaks off easily.

I don't believe the issue is what or how big the filter is..more so is the issue of doing regular oil changes to ensure long engine life. When I do my shopping for the filter and oil I always open the filter box to be sure the correct filter is indeed in there and then I check to see if the seal is intact on the oil can...I have only been bitten once when a different filter showed up in the wrong box when I got back home...

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
My first Honda filter wrench probably lasted me over 10 years so I'd hardly call it a one or two use item. Not only was it used on several of my Honda motorcycles but it also used by my sons who both had Honda cars. Yup, the weld finally broke at the nut but it removed and installed dozens and dozens of filters.

Was it the one that came as a kit with the filter for a couple of bucks more? The one I got was pretty flimsy--broke after a couple of uses.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Yes, it was the one that is available from Honda when you buy an OE filter. The general rule for tightening Honda filters is only 1/.4 turn after the O-ring makes contact so installation torque is fairly light.

Did you tighten it more than that?

Top Bottom