Oil filter

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I still tighten all my filters by hand and most of the time they will come off by hand which obviates the need for a wrench. On my last oil change I replaced the drain plug with a Fumoto valve which now eliminates the need for a drain plug wrench. I can now do tool less oil changes which might be useful on my long ride next summer. I have noticed however that my grip strength ain't what it used to be so I may have to resort to an oil filter wrench at some future time.

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
To me, the greatest benefit of a drain valve would be NOT dropping the drain plug/w washer into the pan of hot, dirty oil! Whenever I do accidently drop the plug into the dark goop, I ponder how to make a screen for the pan that would catch the plug while allowing oil through, then realize it would be one more item that needs cleaning after the oil change. Oh well. :)

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
To me, the greatest benefit of a drain valve would be NOT dropping the drain plug/w washer into the pan of hot, dirty oil! Whenever I do accidently drop the plug into the dark goop, I ponder how to make a screen for the pan that would catch the plug while allowing oil through, then realize it would be one more item that needs cleaning after the oil change. Oh well. :)
Yup!.... and that cursed (by now) washer is either aluminum or copper so you can't fish it out with a magnet.... sigh...

Mike

Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
Amen! Can size is not indicative of filtering efficiency or capacity.

Mike
I'm not a larger size matters guy, just want a quality Synthetic media filter at a fair price. I just found a Wix XP (Syn. Media) Filter that will work same size can as WL10000 filter part # wix 51365xp at Rock Auto for $6.45 Like I said I'm not a bigger is better type of guy or I wouldn't have bought a NT700V.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thanks again for all the great advice,have just done an oil n filter change and driveshaft oil.attached is the k&n oil filter that i removed,definitely longer than oem n ryco that i quoted,so a bit of advice,dont use this one.cheers

Attachments

Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
Thanks again for all the great advice,have just done an oil n filter change and driveshaft oil.attached is the k&n oil filter that i removed,definitely longer than oem n ryco that i quoted,so a bit of advice,dont use this one.cheers
If you use a K&N the right size is the # 204 one.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I have been using the K&N on my NT, never had a issue and very easy to change.

Bike
2010 silver NT700
Another filter that fits the NT, is a Mahle OC575. They have them on Amazon for around $8. But they come on sale every so often, as an add on to an existing order. Price is around $5. Do a search to get info on quality etc. I have been using them for years on my Honda's.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Yup!.... and that cursed (by now) washer is either aluminum or copper so you can't fish it out with a magnet.... sigh...

Mike
I installed a Fumoto valve on the RV for DIY oil change. (To manage 3 gallon of hot oil.)
I installed a german Stahlbus oil drain valve on the VFR (for ease of oil change). It has a cap that is removed for valve use. I don't know if they make one for the NT.
http://www.stahlbus.com/products/en/oil-drain-valve/index.php

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Just out of curiosity, why do people not just use the Honda oil filter?

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I've often wondered the same thing because if you ride the normal 10k-15k per year and change the oil & filter at 5k-8k intervals, the annual savings probably wouldn't pay for a fast food meal.

Rider often buy oil filters from Big Box stores. The mega-marketing giants are continually pressing their suppliers to lower their prices which in turn means the suppliers thump on the manufacturer to lower their unit price and in the end, the product gets cheapened. It sometimes can result in the manufacturers dying because of profit margins being too slim to survive and we had that happen right here with Huffy Bicycles which was THE major bicycle supplier to Wal-Mart.

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Just out of curiosity, why do people not just use the Honda oil filter?
If a Wix filter is available, it is my preferred product. More often than not, a Wix filter's specs exceed the OE manufacturer's specs. The spec's are readily available on the Wix website. Wix is the supplier to many OEM's.

Mike

Chasing down where to get an acceptable alternative to OEM is not worth my time and effort. Even in the large-medium city I live in, finding anything at all in stock is unusual, so I just order 2 or 3 from the dealer.

I also use the Wix filter, I can buy them during the parts stores yearly filter sale very reasonably. I buy two cases ar a timeas they fit all three honda cycles bothe yamahas , both side by sides ( yamaha) and my honda lawn mowers.

Top Bottom