oil filters

bicyclist

The folks over on the Versys forum are in a tizzy. Seems that Walmart no longer has their Super Tech oil filters. Anybody here noticed that? What are you going to use now?

elizilla

For Hondas? There's a site where you can order them in a case of 12. It takes a while to use up 12, so I haven't had to order in ages. I don't recall off top of my head where it was, but I posted it here somewhere.

Not sure what I'm going to do for the Super10, yet. I've just been buying them one at a time at the stealer. I live within walking distance of WalMart but frankly life is just too short to stand in line for an hour in that filthy store, and deal with all those surly people, just to save a few cents. Not to mention the incident last time I was in there where my purchase set off their alarm and their security guards chased me into the parking lot, and even after I showed my receipt they insisted I stay and show them ID and they filled out a form with my physical description, and everyone there was utterly rude. If I was dumb enough to go in there again, and had another incident like that, they can just call the police - they were completely out of line and I'm not putting up with that again. Just remembering the incident is raising my blood pressure. I sent a letter to their corporate, and got no response. I don't care what kind of oil filters they sell, they're not getting my business. :mad1:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Katherine, it's your shifty look that draws security people's attention. :)

There is a reason my daughter-in-law calls Walmart "The Evil Empire."

elizilla

Katherine, it's your shifty look that draws security people's attention. :)
I'm sure I look like just the sort of person that would steal a coil cord for their landline phone and a thing of yard waste bags. After all that was probably seven whole dollars worth of stuff.

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Ah,that explains it. I went to a different Walmart two weeks ago to get a filter and some Rotella synthetic and couldn't find my usual Super Tech 6607. Got a Fram instead. I thought it might just be this particular Walmart but now I see that it's a system wide change. Add my voice to the Versys people. I loved the Super Tech, but I'll probably continue to go to Walmart and get a Fram, unless this topic causes me to rethink.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The folks over on the Versys forum are in a tizzy. Seems that Walmart no longer has their Super Tech oil filters. Anybody here noticed that? What are you going to use now?
No biggie... the Super Tech's were made for Wally World by Fram. Not a great filter, but not a bad one either... here are some alternatives

Fram PH6607
MicroGuard MGL6607 (O'Reilly Store brand, made by Fram)
Wix 51365
Mobil 1 - M1-108

Mike

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Wal-Mart tried to come to Belfast and we told them we were not interested. Some of the residents accused us of snobbery, but the real reason we said No was that we would have had to hire an additional police officer to handle Wal Mart, and we would attract some surly people.

I am not impressed with Fram Filters. WIX, NAPA (also made by WIX), and K&N are what I use--primarily K&N, because they come off with a 17mm wrench and can be safety wired. (K&N 204)

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
I used a Honda filter for last oil change, but will look into others for the next. Some info about filters and oils here.
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Consumables.html#OilFilters

I found the information entertaining ... discovered this site when trying to decide between a DL650 and NT700 ... like anything on the internet you should consider it an opinion ...
It references ST1300 and DL650 but much is applicable to the NT:

tawilke46

Not to mention the incident last time I was in there where my purchase set off their alarm and their security guards chased me into the parking lot, and even after I showed my receipt they insisted I stay and show them ID and they filled out a form with my physical description, and everyone there was utterly rude.
AND then you have to put up with all the rude Wally Marters in the parking lot! Hate WalMart parking lots!
I don't go there any more either.

Katherine, the filters you used on your NT will work on your Tenere. The Wix filters I use have worked on a Goldwing, Fjr, Fz6, the NT and my Tenere. Also LOL on my honda riding mower. jim

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
AND then you have to put up with all the rude Wally Marters in the parking lot! Hate WalMart parking lots!
I don't go there any more either.
The nice thing about Wal-Mart is that it is much less expensive than going on a Whale Watch--

MAC

Just thought I would throw this out and surprised it wasn't brought up.

David from CT found out and made a nice video that if you use an oil filter "over" 2" long the center stand will cut right threw the filter when used. I couldn't find his post.

Madmax

Fram PH6012 in the Motorcycle section of your auto parts store...

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Just thought I would throw this out and surprised it wasn't brought up.

David from CT found out and made a nice video that if you use an oil filter "over" 2" long the center stand will cut right threw the filter when used. I couldn't find his post.
MAC, The K&N does not interfere with the centre stand. I know that NAPA and WIX are identical because WIX makes NAPA filters. I use WIX in my cars and truck. Used a FRAM in the truck once and the glue melted and clogged an oil line. Diesels run a bit hotter than gasoline engines.

Bike
2010 NT700V
No biggie... the Super Tech's were made for Wally World by Fram. Not a great filter, but not a bad one either... here are some alternatives

Fram PH6607
MicroGuard MGL6607 (O'Reilly Store brand, made by Fram)
Wix 51365
Mobil 1 - M1-108

Mike
Wix website claims 51358

http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/index2.asp?Section=6&Make=1817&SubMake=&Model=76406&SubModel=0&Engine=&Year=2010&TempSection=6&TempMake=1817&TempModel=76406&TempEngine=&TempSubModel=0&TempYear=2010

Napa sells as a 1358.

chief7mrc

Wal-Mart in N. Georgia area carry Fram6017A (fits NT700) Approx. $5.00
Local auto parts store Wix 51358 (fits NT700). The filter I use $11.00
Purlator ML 16817 (fits NT700)
STP 5DF13 (fits NT700)
K & N KN303 (fit NT700)
NAPA Gold 1358 (fits NT700)

Top Bottom