Oil Fumes at Idle?

Not normal. Either they spilled a bit of oil in the process or there's some seepage (aka really tiny, slow leak) is happening. A poorly-seated o-ring, or some gasket or whatever, or something not quite tight.

The valve cover gaskets are usually OK to re-use. I agree that it isn't normal to smell oil. But if it smells like burned oil then it is most likely some oil that spilled on something hot.Or possibly crank case vent not reconnected. I worry more about the fuel connections, because that can cause a fire.

After my NT last returned from a dealer valve check it has developed a small leak from somewhere. I see it running down one of the coolant hoses. It is very slow and the leak has not caused the oil level to show a change. Will ask them to check it when I take it in for brake fluid and coolant replacement.

When I was finishing my valve check , almost as an afterthought - ran my finger around valve cover gasket on front cylinder and felt something bulging-so did it over and seated front gasket very methodically , moving real slow and concentrating more than usual - no distracting lyrical music etc. As a novice or hobby mechanic - mental focus and no deadline are important for me ..

the gasket is not a paper or metal gasket, its a rubber like o- ring kind that gets compressed each time. I have had 4 valve checks and mechanic said next time I need new ones. rear one is not sealing real well. but only would smell or see a lot of oil if it got harmed in any way during check

Last edited:
I think that Bob has it exactly right. That dowel pin on the right side of the front head makes it difficult to slide the valve cover under a frame cross member and get it in place with the gasket properly seated. If you don't pay attention, it results in an oil leak that will run down onto the coolant hoses and you'll smell it. DAMHIK.:doh1:

So, Chris and Warren, you should take your bikes back to the dealer and have him fix it. The valve cover gaskets can be reused, so don't let them try to sell you a new one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Always check the simplest things first. Check the crankcase vent hose that goes from the rear head's cover to the back/bottom of the air box.

I agree with George. It is not difficult to tear or get the front cover's gasket misaligned due to the tight space. I ripped the gasket to the front cover at the dowel location and I was trying to be real careful. I discovered my mistake during a close inspection before bolting on the cover (ever get that funny feeling?). That cost me a week of waiting for a replacement gasket. I doubt a shop would have given it a second thought and would have buttoned it up and called the job done. :mad:
Not only do I always replace the gaskets, I now have a spare set on hand in case one gets damaged during installation. :doh1:

Last edited:
Having a spare gasket set is smart. I think that I will order a set as well even if I don't work on the bike because of a service contract. For some reason our Honda dealer gets parts the next day. They must have some arrangement with the distributor.

Chris,

Have you taken it back to the dealer?? YOu paid for that job to be done properly! It Is not right they should fix it at their expense , if they don't broadcast it here on this forum and every other one you belong to!! Would I do that ?
In a new yourk second!!!

I also know someone else in a different part of the country that had a valve adj done and then had a leak. It was repaired, ant the person had to be quite firm with the dealership , and finely they agreed no charges!

Eldon

Last edited:
Chris,

If it means anything, when we met to test out the lights I kind of thought your bike exhaust smelled a little gas rich when you started it up. Don't know if you have noticed that before or if it even means anything of concern as I am no mechanic.

Kyle

Glad it was something simple. :)

That hose will actually pump out oil vapors so it's at least 10x more noticeable than a gasket or seal that is leaking. Those two usually make just a mess and don't smell unless the drip is near part of the exhaust system.

Unfortunately in my case I don't think its thats easy. I have a leak coming down my coolant hose. Due to the heat of the hose its dries up and gets tacky before it can drip on the ground. No smell however. Shinning a light behind the plastic I can see the front head has oil on it. Still not enough leakage that the oil level has shown any decline on the dip stick. After the NT rally I will take it back to the dealer that did the valve adjust and have them fix what they mucked up unless Chuck wants to hold a shop class in the Econo Lodge parking lot :)

Unfortunately in my case I don't think its thats easy. I have a leak coming down my coolant hose. Due to the heat of the hose its dries up and gets tacky before it can drip on the ground. No smell however. Shinning a light behind the plastic I can see the front head has oil on it. Still not enough leakage that the oil level has shown any decline on the dip stick. After the NT rally I will take it back to the dealer that did the valve adjust and have them fix what they mucked up unless Chuck wants to hold a shop class in the Econo Lodge parking lot :)
Sure, I'll hold a class and we will use your bike as the Ginny Pig. Of course not having my lift, heated garage, or tools, I can not guarantee the bike will ever run again.:shrug2::D

It's difficult for me to believe that the oil leak was coming from the grommet for the pulse generator since it is a double grommet, separated by a small chamber. Perhaps it was misinstalled at the factory?

My bike was having intermittent starting problems and the MIL codes pointed to the crank position sensor, known as the "pulse generator" on the parts microfiche. I replaced that sensor last week and made sure to use Honda non-hardening sealer on those two grommets. I did a lot of riding this weekend and the new crank position sensor cured the starting ills.

Back
Top Bottom