Oil on Rims

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
I had found small drops of oil on the bottom of my front rim on the right side. Wiped it off and it didn't come back for a long time. Recently, I saw it again and wiped it off and nothing further. Now I notice the same thing on my rear rim right side except that it's a little more oil. What's going on? Do the brakes have bad seals? Appreciate any input. The bike only has 3,000 miles on it, but it's out of warranty.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Oil has quite a different feel than brake fluid so you need to check the next time you see it.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Three choices on the front rim. Wheel bearing lube (not likely). Shock oil (maybe). Brake fluid (maybe). When you see it next see if you can find where it is dripping from. Or smell it. Brake fluid has a distinctive odor.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Brake fluid will usually either discolor, remove, or otherwise damage the paint it drips on... If it had been on your wheel any length of time it and didn't damage the finish I don't think it is brake fluid.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
They were likely tears of sadness. The NT wants to be ridden. Take a long ride and see if they disappear.
In seriousness, if it is on both rims and is the same fluid, the only thing I can see in common in both areas is brake fluid. Even that would be very unlikely to happen on such a new bike on both ends.

elizilla

On the front I would wonder if it is a leaky fork seal? On the rear, could be coming out of the final drive - if someone put too much moly in when they assembled it, that's a good thing.

If the bike has been wet, water could drip and pool on the rims, rinsing down whatever grime was on the bike or in the puddle you rode through.

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Given the few miles and newness of the bike, I like Katherine's puddle grime theory as the most likely source.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Puddle grime theory sounds most likely to me also. If the front fork seal is leaking you will have a oil streak down the lower fork tube that is stained. Look for it.
Since you have one on front and one on back it sounds like grime to me.

Brad

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Just as an aside, when I was at my dealer yesterday, I was looking over his Silver NT 2010 on the showroom floor with 51 miles on it. On both rims, and pretty evenly distributed, was this substance that looked like dirt but was darker....more like a light coating of black graphite. I took my finger and wiped a bit off. It felt more like an oily substance and looked black on my fingertip....my thinking at the time was perhaps there was a light coating of preservative oil on them and when they road the bike it picked up a bit of dirt....

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
This is begining to sound like a Harley thread regarding the older versions with the tin primary cases. ( SMILE )

Slow Bugs :) Seriously I see the same thing I believe. I think it is road debris from who knows where.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Very true Wayne,
Been there also, 1951 600 single side valve flat head stock hard tail, Tripolie Libya 1964/65

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I had the same thing, Turned out to be brake dust/road grime and dirt. Clean it off and let the bike set. If it appears with out riding then you have something leaking if not GO RIDE.

Well folks I have had my NT two weeks shy of a year and I just turned 10066 miles today.

Top Bottom