On reaching 75 years on earth....

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
If you haven't taken a Viking cruise, you will love it. My wife has done several and raves about them. Amen to the crystal ball and a different path when we were young. I am often reminded of George Burns witticism, "If I would have known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself". How true.......

Mike

(If you haven't taken a Viking cruise, you will love it. My wife has done several and raves about them.).......................We have been on the large ships ( Bahama) and also smallish Mississippi river but this will be our first european cruise up the Rhine river to Zurich so it will be quite the adventure..I have family (brothers) in France and England so we are trying to co-ordinate meeting during the trip but it is looking doubtful so far..We are all in our eighties so time is of the essence maybe??? BTW Mikesim..if your DW has any tips regarding Viking river cruises I would love to hear them.....What to wear and suitcase packing always seem to be an issue...I was always a one underware and a couple T shirt guy in my motorcycle camping days!! My wife bless her ...always had a problem with that idkw??

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Last year I took the family of 8 on the Rhine River Cruise from Amsterdam to Basel, and back in 2018 The Wife took the family of 8 on the Danube River Cruise from Budapest to Nuremberg. Both outstanding Viking Cruises. Viking does have there stuff together. Our Cruises were in late May and June. Classy comfortable casual is the uniform of the day. Bring good walking footwear for your shore excursions. Don't be late as they will wait 10 min. and then leave with out you. Just a few pictures of many.

SAM_3222.JPGSAM_3233.JPGSAM_3331.JPGSAM_7399.JPGSAM_7428.JPGSAM_7508.JPG

I will have completed 90 laps around the Sun come this September. (Am a 1934 model) Usually walk about 5 Kms a day. Attend The Men’s Shed 2/3 mornings a week. Recently my daughter and I enjoyed a two week cruise on Cunard’s ‘Queen Elizabeth’ around New Zealand. (I am a Scotsman but have lived in Australia the last 55 years.) Sadly I lost my the love of my life of 67 years about 18 months ago. She suffered the same illness as Phil‘s wife, that dreadful Alzheimers. So to those of you who fortunately still have your spouse, cherish every day together. Am now living with a huge gap that can never be filled, however the loss feels just that little bit easier as the months go by. Ride my Deauville almost daily. Every second week a group of us have a ride of approximately 300 kms. We usually solve the world’s problems over lunch !!

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Charlie, congrats on your continued health and longevity and especially for being an active rider. It is often said that you "don't get old and quit riding but that you quit riding and get old". I regret to inform you however that you need to start doing your group rides/lunches on a weekly basis as the world's problems are gaining on you! Get to work!

;)

Mike

Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
I will have completed 90 laps around the Sun come this September. (Am a 1934 model) Usually walk about 5 Kms a day. Attend The Men’s Shed 2/3 mornings a week. Recently my daughter and I enjoyed a two week cruise on Cunard’s ‘Queen Elizabeth’ around New Zealand. (I am a Scotsman but have lived in Australia the last 55 years.) Sadly I lost my the love of my life of 67 years about 18 months ago. She suffered the same illness as Phil‘s wife, that dreadful Alzheimers. So to those of you who fortunately still have your spouse, cherish every day together. Am now living with a huge gap that can never be filled, however the loss feels just that little bit easier as the months go by. Ride my Deauville almost daily. Every second week a group of us have a ride of approximately 300 kms. We usually solve the world’s problems over lunch !!
Charlie, you are a inspiration, 1939 model here and still riding and I hope to follow to follow in your footsteps.

Reactions: JQL
OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Congratulations. I just turned 75 earlier this month. You are absolutely correct about the passage of time.

Cliff
Its hard to convince the youngins about the passage of time, unfortunately.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Do it while you can, Phil. Since my prostrate cancer radiation treatments, there are days that I don't dare get too far from a latrine. I get about 10 seconds to make a mad dash.
But, I am still alive, and there are MANY people who are a lot worse off than I am. Everyone in the waiting room at the oncology center was worse off than I was. I just kept telling myself, "Shut the #%&* up, and quit whining."

I also keep in mind a short lesson that I learned long ago:
"I felt bad because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet."
Well said....every time I think about all my medical problems, and life problems, I think about a little kid in a wheel chair....and about those 75 good years I had....and about my friends who have lost their wives......and I go to military cemeteries and think about all those kids who never had a chance at life....1711598177420.png

Bike
2010 NT700V
Went to the doctor yesterday. Blood where it AIN'T supposed to be for a few months. On and off. She will schedule me for a colonoscopy SOON. We both want to know from where and why.
The joy never ends, but it still beats the alternative. Thanks to apod.nasa.gov, I got to see the Universe.

Well said....every time I think about all my medical problems, and life problems, I think about a little kid in a wheel chair....and about those 75 good years I had....and about my friends who have lost their wives......and I go to military cemeteries and think about all those kids who never had a chance at life....1711598177420.png
Thanks for this....It was a very emotional time visiting these immaculately kept cemetaries and the Museums in Normandy.....My Daughter and Son in law will be there on the 80th D Day anniversary this year....

Bike
2010 NT700V
Arlington was a highlight of a DC bus tour I was on. The Changing of the Guard is almost a religious experience. But then, I get misty at the Star Spangled Banner and always want to say AMEN after the Pledge. I stand, remove my hat, and place my right hand over my heart when The Flag goes by in a parade. It irks me to see the people around me, especially the younger ones, who pay no attention. Many wear the "costume", but take no part.
I have a great-great uncle who is buried in the Shiloh/Corinth MS National Cemetery . He fought with Company G 27th IA Inf. I was privileged to visit his grave in 2005. Probably the only member of the family that has done so, given the distance. The men and women buried in these places are America. Not the movie and TV idols who are hollow and worthless. Not the billionaires who got their wealth from others sweat. Not the politicians who all wear the flag lapel pins and wrap themselves in Old Glory.
These citizens who saved our country time after time with their blood and their lives.
I do not watch the Oscars and the Emmys and the CMA and other made up back slapping sycophant garbage. Where are the award shows for the people who really keep the world going? Electricians, plumbers, cops, teachers, newspaper employees, garbage collectors. Remove them from society, and it will collapse in a week. Shut down government for a week and nobody notices.

OK. Stepping down from my soap box.

Next . . . .

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Arlington was a highlight of a DC bus tour I was on. The Changing of the Guard is almost a religious experience. But then, I get misty at the Star Spangled Banner and always want to say AMEN after the Pledge. I stand, remove my hat, and place my right hand over my heart when The Flag goes by in a parade. It irks me to see the people around me, especially the younger ones, who pay no attention. Many wear the "costume", but take no part.
I have a great-great uncle who is buried in the Shiloh/Corinth MS National Cemetery . He fought with Company G 27th IA Inf. I was privileged to visit his grave in 2005. Probably the only member of the family that has done so, given the distance. The men and women buried in these places are America. Not the movie and TV idols who are hollow and worthless. Not the billionaires who got their wealth from others sweat. Not the politicians who all wear the flag lapel pins and wrap themselves in Old Glory.
These citizens who saved our country time after time with their blood and their lives.
I do not watch the Oscars and the Emmys and the CMA and other made up back slapping sycophant garbage. Where are the award shows for the people who really keep the world going? Electricians, plumbers, cops, teachers, newspaper employees, garbage collectors. Remove them from society, and it will collapse in a week. Shut down government for a week and nobody notices.

Next . . . .
No need, you said it all.......

Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold

Next . . . .
Nope. - I can’t improve on that.
Thank you sir.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Thanks for this....It was a very emotional time visiting these immaculately kept cemetaries and the Museums in Normandy.....My Daughter and Son in law will be there on the 80th D Day anniversary this year....
Wow.....let us know the kid's experiences on the 80th....the PBS Film is available on youtube on demand. its 54 minutes long.....

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Went to the doctor yesterday. Blood where it AIN'T supposed to be for a few months. On and off. She will schedule me for a colonoscopy SOON. We both want to know from where and why.
The joy never ends, but it still beats the alternative. Thanks to apod.nasa.gov, I got to see the Universe.
Yeaah, I know...something new seems to break every year at 75. Nothing found on my last colonoscopy 8 years ago and I think unless the blood test shows differently, I wont have another. Perferation is all too common for my taste in old age. But you have no choice. Best wishes.....

Bike
2010 NT700V
LL Bean grave marker 2.jpg

Levi Lemuel Bean. Co B 7th IA Inf. KIA 7/30/1863. Buried Corinth Mississippi. Brother Henry Bean, same unit. Brothers Richard Rufus Bean (my Great Grandfather) and George Willard Bean, both with Co G 27ty Ia Inf.
Their father (my Great Great Grandfather) was with Co C 6th Ia Cav.

All from Bradford, Chickasaw County, Iowa.

Top Bottom