On the Road Again...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
It took me longer than I expected, but thanks to RedBird's gentle prodding, I finally rode again today. Ken had changed a battery for me about a couple of months ago, but I had been reluctant to ride. I decided when he asked me again toward the end of last week about riding this week that it was time.

He rode over here on his "new" DN-01 and then we rode a nearly 75-mile loop, northeast of here to Briggsdale on CO-392, then west on CO-14 to Ault and then back to Greeley. I was impressed when I managed to ride away from the house without falling down. Things didn't feel right for about the first mile and a half. I kept missing the shift to 2nd from 1st and then slowing down a lot more than I should have. I finally figured out that the slowing down was because I had my right foot resting on the brake pedal. The shifting issue was largely because I had to get back into the placement of my left foot so I could overcome my limited amount of flexibility in that ankle. By the time we got back here, I pretty much nailed that. I hope I can get in a few more good rides before it turns cold up here. Today was beautiful. The temperature was about 70, By the time we got out east of town, the wind picked up (like it always seems to as we go north) and it was feeling cooler. I hadn't put on my Warm'n'Safe heated jacket and if I'd had, I don't think I'd have turned it on, but it would have been nice to have one more layer.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Woo hoo!!! Glad to hear it Phil!! Great news!! I hope Mother Nature gives you a mild winter so you and Horse can enjoy some two wheel therapy. It will be good for the both of you. Thanks to Ken for helping you out and getting you back on the road.

Mike

Woo hoo!!! Glad to hear it Phil!! Great news!! I hope Mother Nature gives you a mild winter so you and Horse can enjoy some two wheel therapy. It will be good for the both of you. Thanks to Ken for helping you out and getting you back on the road.

Mike
Typing left handed ignore any mistakes.
Phil , that is really good news. Ian hoping to be beck riding early next summer , maybe we can get together then. Jim

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Great to hear Phil. Every year I have to ask myself if I am truly up for this. Then I go ahead and do it anyhow.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Glad to see you are back riding again. Best therapy in the world. Take is easy and enjoy the short winter rides that we have.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Glad you overcame the long layoff. But I echo Tosh’s caution. I remember Ex Winger pushing too far into his impairments. Just keep a focus on your abilities and make good decisions.

We aren’t likely to ride to Alaska again, but I’m not ruling it out. I definitely wouldn’t push as hard as our last trip though. Those 500 mile days are just too fatiguing for me. I can still do one in a row, but then need to recover.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Great to hear Phil... don't let the youngster Ken get you in trouble... he is a weather magnet lol

Good to get the muscle memory back after the long layoff... once the snow melts you'll get more practice in and hopefully we'll see you in Spearfish next year but only if you're ready.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Glad you are back on 2 wheels. It certainly is good therapy for any of us.
Your layoff was long, did you have any issues with the gas going bad? Did you use gas additive?

Arknt

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Glad you are back on 2 wheels. It certainly is good therapy for any of us.
Your layoff was long, did you have any issues with the gas going bad? Did you use gas additive?

Arknt
Arknt, I had topped off the tank after my last ride on 12/14/21 and then added Techron and crossed my fingers. Once Ken changed my battery and cleaned up some other electrical issues, it fired right up and ran well yesterday once I quit missing that shift to 2nd and dragging the rear brake. :rolleyes:

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
Very pleased to hear you’re back in the saddle again, Phil. As they used to say in aviation, “gravity never quits”. But, gyroscopic action doesn’t either. Once you get rolling, physics really helps take over! Looking forward to seeing you again in Spearfish. Good times with good people.

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
For a start on my thoughts, please see https://www.nt-owners.org/forums/threads/i-picked-up-a-nt-cousin-dn-01.14198/
It weighs 600lbs, but the weight is low. The 4 gallon gas tank is partially under the seat. It has quite a long wheelbase. You are not going to canyon carve with it like you would with a sport bike. The seat height is 28 inches which allows a short inseam challenged guy like me get his feet firmly planted to the ground when at a stand still. The automatic transmission actually works well. I am not enamored with the feet forward cruiser style of the floor boards. The drive shaft containing single sided swing arm means no splines to lube - the wheel bolts directly to the final drive unit. The transmission filter element should be changed when the oil and engine oil filter is, which means removing the right side floor board and lower cowl pieces to get to it. With the aftermarket Givi wind screen and bags it can be an ok touring machine with about the same power and acceleration as the NT. The Givi bag mounts are long discontinued - so they are unobtainable. If one wants a DN-01 with bags one needs to get a DN-01 that has them already mounted.
I need to put more miles on it before I really know if it is a long term keeper or not. And since I'm 84 who knows what the definition of long term will be for me. One thing I really like about it is the reach to the handlebar. My shoulder joints are pretty well worn out, bone on bone for the left, the right was totally replaced 16 years ago and the cup part of the replacement is well worn now. Anyway the bar reach is such that my elbows stay bent with my upper arm 30 degrees or less from the vertical and that helps my shoulders a lot.

Top Bottom