On the road tire repair

I'm just going through this - many buy the kits and don't use them so figure I'd give some feedback.

Opinions vary - one rider races and uses plugs all the time.

I tried the Stop and Go which is a mushroom plug and while it would get a bike to a repair place there is still a slow leak - a bit less than what it was.... very slow but not trust worthy and there have been some negative reports on that style tho many ride it to the wear bars.
I have not been successful with the slow leak in the centre of the Pilot 3 so far with this kit.
I think it would easily have got me to a service centre the first time around. Sure learned how tough motorcycle tires are getting that plug in.

The string type seem a bit more reliable as it self vulcanizes. This was a good exercise as know what to do on the road at least to get to a service area.
Think I will get a Safetyseal kit from surveying the reviews of riders who have used both

ordered this one

Amazon.com: Safety Seal 30 String Pro Tire Repair Kit: Automotive

Tire Plug Kits, Fix Flat Tire, Tire Repair Tools | Safety Seal

Nother reason to have a water bottle along...find the leak. :D

I dont wrench and if I'm going to take it to the dealer I just put a new rear on.
The Strom will only be local riding for the rest of the year so will be a decent test for the SafetySeal product.

I think I might give the Stop and Go one more try to see if I can get it to work.
Seems when you stretch the plug back out to get the mushroom cap to be flat that's where it is hard to tell the correct amount of pull.

Pocket Tire Plugger - For All Tubeless Tires - Stop & Go International Inc Store

I'm not particularly worried on a slow leak failure - I'll keep the TPMS on all the time instead of just check.

This may be a good overview of both....might be the Stopngo method has made the string method impossible now but I'd rather have the string kit with me and I'll just use the Stopngo compressor.

Like what others have said, I have not had a string plug even leak on me for 1000's of miles.
Hmmm this looks good too - small and compact and can take multiple strings tho Safety Seal seems well proven.

Dynaplug? Tubeless Tire Puncture Repair Tools and Accessories

I think part of the fear that arises is by those that have not had a flat tire....it's not as dire as you imagine....these tires are very stiff and can run pretty much flat and still give you safe directional control.
One track rider noted that his but did 6 laps on a flat tire and came in third.

I'm pretty confident the strings will vulcanize - there are tons of ride to the bars anecdotes out there.
Not confident on the rubber plug tho....simply feels temporary tho once you've done one it's KISS to do.

tawilke46

On mushroom plugs the secret is to be sure to ream out the hole really well, making sure to get out as much of the wire fabric as possible. Amittedly, this is a difficult exercise. Once the plug is installed you do have to stretch the stem on the plug to insure the mushroom end is seated flat against the inner tire surface. I have a plug repair on the rear PR3 on my NT. Holds pressure fairly well, but gradually loses air over a few weeks. Would not take a long trip unless I replaced the rear rire.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
That does seem to be the difference. The string plugs I have done have lasted the lifetime of the tire, cars, light trucks and the one bike tire I did. Except for one that was a hole in the sidewall, and even it would hold air for several hundred miles at a time (light truck tire). Another key is using PLENTY of cement. If it isn't dribbling all over the tool, tire and string there isn't enough. I usually carry a couple of extra tubes and rotate them every couple of years. A good time to use rubber gloves when working :)

The reaming part is the most difficult, time consuming and tedious. But, do it. Even with the strings it is important to get the hole sized up a bit and 'wear down' some of the wire. I think the people that have had trouble with plugs is due to the reaming. If the wires remain too long they poke holes, making for slow leaks. Yes, the strings become 'one with the tire'. I do not know the chemistry but seems to be due to the soft, tacky rubber the strings are made of and the cement used.

And I am another who has ridden a tire with as little as 15psi in it. They do still work. But, it is also a reason I have a TPMS on the bike. That way if the bike feels funny I can instantly see if the pressures are still OK. FWIW, I used to think I could tell when a tire was low. After having the TPMS I know that was an illusion. Tire pressures change a LOT over the course of a day due to riding friction and direct sunlight raising the temps. For example, my rear tire can be set at 40psi when cold, eg 40 deg. Ride around for a bit and that rises to 42 or 43 psi. Midday when the temps outside are in the 80's and I've been riding a few hours the tire can be up to 45 or 46 psi.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've put a mushroom plug in a friend's tire and it lasted him for several thousand miles. I put one in mine and it lasted 1435 miles and then went flat while some of were eating breakfast in Perkins in Spearfish. We had several mushrooms in the tire when we gave up and Frosty ran over to KMart and bought string plugs. They got me back to the campground. Since then I've had other string plugs last for several thousand miles and haven't used any of the mushroom plugs. I have gotten a better reamer and would be willing to try the mushrooms again.

I've also ridden one tire that was down to 14psi. It was a Dunlop K491 Elite bias-ply tire on my old Concours. I've got a TPMS on the bike now.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
I tried Dyna-Plugging my only rear tire flat but even with 4 plugs it wouldn't hold air. I don't blame the Dyna plugs because the hole was ~1/8". My plug kit was getting old & I was just curious if it would even work...fail. This was a blowout that went flat in a few seconds that provided lots of instant feedback screaming "pull over slowly stupid, you have a flat."

I have successfully Dyna-plugged 3 or 4 small holes in my lawn mower saving me from buying new tires with plenty of tread remaining. This also saved me a lot of grief not having to air up the tires every time I mow. These were tiny tiny weepers that would take 2 weeks to go flat. I put up with this for a few years. Flat tires on the lawn mower don't provide the same sense of urgency to fix that a motorcycle does.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The reaming part is the most difficult, time consuming and tedious. But, do it. Even with the strings it is important to get the hole sized up a bit and 'wear down' some of the wire. I think the people that have had trouble with plugs is due to the reaming. If the wires remain too long they poke holes, making for slow leaks. Yes, the strings become 'one with the tire'. I do not know the chemistry but seems to be due to the soft, tacky rubber the strings are made of and the cement used.

I agree that the reaming is a PITA. I have however successfully used the Stop and Go kit to repair two rear tires with nary a leak. Both times however, both punctures were teeny and only had a pressure loss of 1-2 psi per day. Each time I would up with blisters on my hand from the reaming. Next time, I will wear gloves. The other thought I had was that "if" my next puncture is again teeny, I will try using my electric drill to slightly enlarge the puncture to make the reaming process less tedious. Sounds scary, I know, but the drilling process is really no different than reaming....... I guess.....

Mike

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Slime has worked great for me. It also takes no great amount of skill to make it work.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I thought about Slime, Chris but I don't think it would get along well with my TPMS sensors.

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[The other thought I had was that "if" my next puncture is again teeny, I will try using my electric drill to slightly enlarge the puncture to make the reaming process less tedious...Mike]

Mike - Are you thinking of carrying an electric drill & long extension cord on your bike? :p

The best repair unit looks like a rubber plug and rubber patch combined but it requires dismounting the tire from the wheel, something you can't do on the shoulder of the road.
I have some of these but they stay at home in my toolbox.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
[The other thought I had was that "if" my next puncture is again teeny, I will try using my electric drill to slightly enlarge the puncture to make the reaming process less tedious...Mike]

Mike - Are you thinking of carrying an electric drill & long extension cord on your bike? :p

The best repair unit looks like a rubber plug and rubber patch combined but it requires dismounting the tire from the wheel, something you can't do on the shoulder of the road.
I have some of these but they stay at home in my toolbox.
He...he...he... I don't have an extension cord long enough :^). The two repairs I have made have both been while I was at home close to the drill.

Mike

OP
OP
MacDoc
The StopnGo rubber plug would get you to a service station in my view but not for the long term.
Dropped from 40 lb to 28 lb overnight so I pulled it and will try the self vulcanizing solution tomorrow.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I carry a can of Slime with air, Stop and Go kit with CO2 cartridges, gummy worms, and Dyna plugs as well as an air compressor. I kept an old tire to practice on. Boy am I glad I did! There is no way I , with my old hands, can ream a hole with the standard reamers, so I took some tapered rat tailed files in graduated sizes and cut them off and put on handles and practiced with those...now, no problem reaming to what ever size for whatever plug. I think a dyna plug would work well for a very small hole. It would be quick and get you to a place of safety. The main thing is to get the tire up and running and pumped up to where one can get to a place of safety to effect better repairs or replace the tire all together. Many troopers have died by the side of the road due to target fixation...doesnt even matter if they have their rotating lights on.....people hit them.....and they might just hit a motorcyclist also....
And dont forget that riding on underinflated tires leads to fast heat build up and belt separation, so check those tire pressures...our lives are riding on our tires.....

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
http://www.ride-on.com/
I try and carry this product, if I remember to pack it. Has good reviews.
The only down side I see other than the expense is the coverage area APPEARS to me to not include some of the area where you could pick up a nail and still repair the hole safely. I think I will pass for now.

Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
We've carried the Stop N Go in the past. I've used it on Pete's Rebel tire when he picked up a nail. He doesn't ride it much, so I can't speak for the longevity of the plug with use, but, it hasn't lost any air being parked in the garage.

We just picked up a set from BestRest

Tire plug/repair kit:

http://www.bestrestproducts.com/p-236-universal-tire-repair-kit.aspx

And the BeadBreaker kit to get the tire off/on the wheel:

http://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-98-beadbrakr-tcm.aspx

Pete's little Honda dirt bike picked up a large nail once out in the sticks. the one time he forgot to carry the patch kit..... I ended up riding about 20 miles to the nearest town and bought all the Slime stuff I could find. Must have been too large a hole, tire had to be re-filled every 10 miles. took forever to get home that way. And the resulting mess when we changed the tire.....blech.

Last edited:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...I kept an old tire to practice on. Boy am I glad I did! There is no way I , with my old hands, can ream a hole with the standard reamers...]

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger because I had the same experience when I wanted to practice on a old rear tire. It was tough just getting the reamer through the tread area because of all the steel belts! Now the carcass had limited stiffness because it was dismounted from the wheel so perhaps it might have been a bit easier on the wheel? Just for practice inserting the DynaPlug, I used a drill motor & drill bit to make a hole.

I've only plugged one tire and it was years ago. The tire was a bias ply, non-steel belted, and I used the sticky, black worms.
It held good enough for me to get home. Now, I mostly trust Ride-On and keep my fingers crossed although I still carry the tire repair stuff with me.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
[...I kept an old tire to practice on. Boy am I glad I did! There is no way I , with my old hands, can ream a hole with the standard reamers...]

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger because I had the same experience when I wanted to practice on a old rear tire. It was tough just getting the reamer through the tread area because of all the steel belts! Now the carcass had limited stiffness because it was dismounted from the wheel so perhaps it might have been a bit easier on the wheel? Just for practice inserting the DynaPlug, I used a drill motor & drill bit to make a hole.

I've only plugged one tire and it was years ago. The tire was a bias ply, non-steel belted, and I used the sticky, black worms.
It held good enough for me to get home. Now, I mostly trust Ride-On and keep my fingers crossed although I still carry the tire repair stuff with me.
Flats are one of those things that can really ruin your day...or not if you are prepared....It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to have so many repair options on the bike and they dont take up that much room.....

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
You may want to look again at the coverage area, Chris. The only safe area to repair a tire on, is the tread area. A puncture in the sidewall can't be repaired. This product puts the material in the tread area only.

I use Slime only because it, is easier to obtain. Both Ride-On and Slime use centrifugal force to spread the material evenly in the tread area.

Chris
(the other Chris on the mossy side of the state)
Sorry, but we disagree on two points. One, if I ever had to use slime on my bike (I HAVE to run it in my tractor tires) I would add the slime making sure the puncture was at the bottom of the tire. I think this is mentioned on the can....
Two, as I see the pic of the coverage area, I wouldnt be afraid to repair a puncture when I have installed the red "X"...a place clearly not covered by the product....I do agree if you cut the side wall, you are up excrement creek without a paddle.
Chris who likes to visit the West side and all its greenery...

silshooter

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Found a drywall screw in the worn out rear tire this afternoon, figured it would be a good test to use the equipment I carry to do a patch job. Carry a kit from Northern Tool and a small air compressor. This is a good test for the equipment and my skills, will get a couple weeks of riding before changing this tire for a new one. It has been many years since I had to do a patch job on the side of the road.

Top Bottom