On the road tire repair

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I guess not! Did you have any trouble getting stopped?

I was in western Nebraska on a long straight stretch of road that was empty for over ten miles when I decided to give my '99 Kawasaki Concours (called the GTR in UK and Europe) a "high speed test." I got to 126.8mph when it began gently wagging its handlebars. I backed off the throttle and it quit wagging at about 124. I slowed on down to 120 and ran that speed for the next 15 miles. After I got into populated areas I slowed down and then rode at 75-80mph most of the rest of the 100 miles back to the house. When I went out into the yard the next morning to pick up a piece of trash, I saw something silver in the middle of the rear tire. It was as nail about 6" long. I checked the tire pressure and it was down to 14psi. I plugged the hole and ran the tire for another 5,000 miles, although I didn't try any more high speed tests with that tire.

In fact, I haven't been that fast on a motorcycle since. :)

Last edited:
I'd just gone between a taxi and a car lane-splitting, at about 100mph,.I heard a tapping noise, looked at the taxi and thought "that won't last long". Than I realised I'd passed the taxi and I could still hear it. I felt a twitch from the rear. I aimed straight for the hard shoulder. I put the bike on the main stand, opened the seat got the puncture kit out, looked at the tire and put the kit away and called BMW recovery.

Last edited:
Top Bottom