Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Chris, What's the P-51A or B clone with dive brakes on the wing top. It's name is Baby Carmen.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Chris, What's the P-51A or B clone with dive brakes on the wing top. It's name is Baby Carmen.
Phil, this is the short answer. When North American (NA) made the P-51A for the Brits, the Stupidhead American army didnt want it. But they ordered it as a dive bomber, the A-36 Apache.
That is what you see...there are only three left in the world. With a lousy supercharger, the Allison couldnt get the P-51A or the A-36 up to any fighting altitude.....
Then an American officer working with the Brits in England fitted a two stage two speed intercooled blown Rolls Royce Merlin to a P-51A and that became the B and C models
(the difference was the 2 NA factory designations)...and the rest is History. Oddly, Packard was already building the Merlin for the Brits as Henry Ford nixed his son's deal with the Brits
to build it. Packard made the Merlin assembly line friendly and supplied them to the brits and the Americans. For more visibility, NA put on a bubble canopy to make the D model which cost the
aircraft a few MPH but had great visibility. The Allison soldiered on in the P-38 with its GE turbo superchargers, the P-40, and the P-39 and P-63.
Oddly, in racing Mustangs, the Allison connecting rods are stronger than the Merlins so they put those into the race Merlins....
Also ironically, the Mustang was so fast due to a British invention....the Merideth effect Radiator that recovered IIRC 600 hp of drag due to its trick design.
Many think it was the laminar flow wing but according to the head designer, the Mustang never achieved true laminar flow....

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Thanks for giving my failing memory a jump start, Chris. IIRC, the Air Force Museum in Dayton has an A-36.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Thanks for giving my failing memory a jump start, Chris. IIRC, the Air Force Museum in Dayton has an A-36.
A-36 took "Best in Show" at Osh this year...if it comes to the Reno air races, I bet it will take best in show at the Rolls Royce Heritage trophy section, too!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Chris, I got your two discs of pix from Oshkosh, Spearfish, and Reno yesterday and spent way too much time looking at every single one of them. If anyone else wants to look at them, send me a PM with your address and I'll pass them along.

Top Bottom