Ouch Again! Another big Honda recall...

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Fortunately, Honda estimates only 1% will actually require a repair, but it is still very costly to inspect all 300K vehicles. Based on my back of the envelope mathematizing, that works out be be ~$11.3 mil minimum just to inspect 'em, Ouch, indeed!

Mike

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
So much for Honda's fabled quality control for not catching these problem parts before they were installed.:rolleyes: In fairness all automotive companies have too many vendors who have too many contractors who have too many sub contractors. No one that far out cares about quality just billable quantity. I hope Honda takes the cost of the recall out of the vendors account.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
So much for Honda's fabled quality control for not catching these problem parts before they were installed.:rolleyes: In fairness all automotive companies have too many vendors who have too many contractors who have too many sub contractors. No one that far out cares about quality just billable quantity. I hope Honda takes the cost of the recall out of the vendors account.
In fairness to Honda, this particular fault would have been difficult to detect in incoming quality control as it was an omission of a part within an assembly thus not detectable thru visual inspection. Seat belt pretensioners are activated either by an inertia lock or a pyrotechnic device. Both methods are difficult to test without a special test fixture and in the case of the pyrotechnic device, once it is tested it is no longer functional. Even if testing were possible, most incoming QA departments do not test 100% of the material thus with only a 1% defect rate it is very likely that the defective assemblies would have snuck thru.

Mike

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
In later vehicles like these Hondas, the pyro device is actually part of the buckle, retracting the buckle down during airbag deployment. I suspect engineers found this easier to implement than spinning the belt spool in the pillar.

Yet more booked hours for Honda techs. Maybe I should return to wrenching? I'm smelling money!

• Haha
Reactions: ett

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Yet more booked hours for Honda techs. Maybe I should return to wrenching? I'm smelling money!
At .2 for running out to the lot, bringing it into your bay, inspecting the belt, running it back out to the lot and your write up, you ain't gonna get rich! Better rethink this!
:rofl1:

Mike

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
At .2 for running out to the lot, bringing it into your bay, inspecting the belt, running it back out to the lot and your write up, you ain't gonna get rich! Better rethink this!
:rofl1:

Mike
Yeah, that's about right. I was joking Mike, no return to the auto tech field for me.

Top Bottom