Ouch!! Honda recall

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I just read this morning that Honda (automobiles) announced a recall for some 250K vehicles for possible improperly machined crankshafts.

This is going to be a very expensive/time consuming recall to perform. I'm actually surprised that this wasn't caught earlier in the QA process as an ovoid crank journal is usually easily discovered.

Mike

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I just read this morning that Honda (automobiles) announced a recall for some 250K vehicles for possible improperly machined crankshafts.

This is going to be a very expensive/time consuming recall to perform. I'm actually surprised that this wasn't caught earlier in the QA process as an ovoid crank journal is usually easily discovered.

Mike
Glad my Accord is not this engine. Yes it will be expensive, but it sounds like they're going to cover it well for affected owners, per the article.

On the bright side, Honda techs will be booking hours like crazy :thumb:

Last edited:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Time wise, it may be cheaper for Honda to provide rebuilt shortblocks?

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Time wise, it may be cheaper for Honda to provide rebuilt shortblocks?
I initially thought about that too, but suppose that only 10 per cent of the vehicles need engines. That would require 25,000 shortblocks! There is no rebuilder that I'm aware of who would have the ability to source that many engines. I'm thinking that perhaps Honda will offer a buyback or lucrative trade-in value or some combination of all options to satisfy their customers quickly. In any event, this will be a huge hit on the bottom line for Honda.

Mike

Great news that Honda is stepping up and taking care of their customers. My buddy had a Ford Edge purchased new that had major issues that Ford refused to cover. He ended up selling it with a bad engine rather than dump more cash into it. Apparently there are a few class action suits going against Ford regarding issues with the edge. Despite all that my buddy liked the way it drove but couldn’t deal with Ford’s lack of support. Cost him a good whack of money.

I still have a 2004 Accord with 204k miles, besides the takata airbag recall the thing has been outstanding and well used over 20 years of ownership.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I'm thinking that perhaps Honda will offer a buyback or lucrative trade-in value or some combination of all options to satisfy their customers quickly.
As long as they recycle / crush those cars and don't put them in the used market that would work. Way too often cars like that end up being resold and the problem just changes owners...

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Great news that Honda is stepping up and taking care of their customers. My buddy had a Ford Edge purchased new that had major issues that Ford refused to cover. He ended up selling it with a bad engine rather than dump more cash into it. Apparently there are a few class action suits going against Ford regarding issues with the edge. Despite all that my buddy liked the way it drove but couldn’t deal with Ford’s lack of support. Cost him a good whack of money.
And this is why you buy your vehicles from Honda, and not car maker XYZ. Personally, I'm probably a lifelong Honda customer at this point.

Fieroguy

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Toyota did me right on my 2001(?) Tacoma. One of the bed supports rusted through. I took it to them and they notified me it was included in a recall for frame rust. I would either get a new frame, installed, or, a buy-back from Toyota. Their choice. Lucky me, they bought my truck back at 100% blue book value at zero miles. When I went in to pick up my check, I assumed I would be surrounded by sales people eager to point me towards the shiny new models. Nope. And... I bought that truck used and the amount they gave me was equal to the amount I paid for it, so I basically drove that truck around for the entire length of ownership, for free! Thanks Toyota!
Now, do you think any of the Big 3 would do that for their customers? No, definitely not. And they wonder why they can't compete with the Asian car manufacturers.
Honda will take a hit to their bottom line, for sure, but due to their reputation, reliability and diversity, they will make a smooth comeback. The smart money is on buying Honda stock while its down. ;)

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
My wife has a 2016 CX5 Mazda, bought new. As of now the car only has 28,000 miles on it at the seven year mark. Previous cars were Dodge Chrysler products. From now on out it will be Asian products. All her CX5 has needed in the seven years that she has owned it, is the annual oil and filter change. Granted she does not drive it much, at 74 years old and with her medical issues, I think it will be her last car she ever buys. Me on the other hand, I have a 2021 Chevy Colorado. After three years it only has 9,000 miles on it. So far no issues. But I have started to think what Asian midsize pickup I want to replace it with at around the the five year mark. I am sure after 5 years the truck will start to have some issues. Of course at the rate I am putting miles on it, it might have just 15,000 miles by then. Who knows? The rest of my family members have all migrated to Honda's, Acura's, and Subaru's, except for their pickups which are Ford F150.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I agree w/Mazdas, the few I've had have been awesome and reliable and very fun to drive.

My '19 Ranger has 22k on it but has also been great.. I keep thinking maybe I need to change to something like another SUV, Pathfinder or Telluride or even an Explorer... then I walk away from my truck and look at it...

IMG_20220903_085243.jpg

IMG_20220812_063316.jpg

Nah... it's a keeper!

The new Colorado trucks are pretty sweet.. so are the new Rangers and I'd love a Ranger Raptor w/twin turbo V6.. yeow!... but... I'd like to retire and be able to afford food.

Last edited:
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Nether the new Ranger or the new Colorado come with a 6 cylinder engine or a 6 foot bed. That is a war stopper for me. I guess I will be keeping my 21 Colorado for a while. Not to mention the new pricing. I also like to be able to buy food.

20201202_095926.jpg

Reactions: ett

ett

I agree w/Mazdas, the few I've had have been awesome and reliable and very fun to drive.

My '19 Ranger has 22k on it but has also been great.. I keep thinking maybe I need to change to something like another SUV, Pathfinder or Telluride or even an Explorer... then I walk away from my truck and look at it...
Nah... it's a keeper!

The new Colorado trucks are pretty sweet.. so are the new Rangers and I'd love a Ranger Raptor w/twin turbo V6.. yeow!... but... I'd like to retire and be able to afford food.
My 2008, 2WD, 2.3-ltr, Ranger has 250+k miles on it, still running strong.
Results of last UOA:

"This is another essentially perfect report for your Ranger. A slightly low flashpoint is the only reading
we've had to mark in bold over the past 11 years of samples, and that really goes to show how well you're
taking care of this engine. The 360oF flashpoint equates to a trace amount of fuel - not even enough to
quantify as a percentage - and it's harmless. What's important is the wear levels still look excellent, showing
great internal function, and the oil itself held up well. Its viscosity stayed in spec and the TBN shows active
additives hadn't run out either. Nice report!
"

I'm assuming that "trace amount of fuel" is due to me not fully warming up the motor on that particular oil change.
Instead of my usual changing oil; and collecting sample; after coming back from a drive. That time I only idled the motor for a few minutes in the driveway.

So far the biggest problems have been the airbag recalls plus valve cover gasket, pinion seal, and axle seals needing replacement at around 230k.
BUT I'm a stickler for routinely changing ALL fluids; including power steering, trans, diff, etc ...
And the 2.3-ltr Ford motor actually is a Mazda motor from their FWD drive cars, and turned 90 degrees to use in the Rangers.
So is my Ranger still running good due to my maintenance or because it's a Mazda motor ??

Nether the new Ranger or the new Colorado come with a 6 cylinder engine or a 6 foot bed. That is a war stopper for me. I guess I will be keeping my 21 Colorado for a while. Not to mention the new pricing. I also like to be able to buy food.
There is not a single new vehicle on the market that I want OR can afford.
Sorry, but automatic transmission, 4-doors, and a 4-ft bed is not a useful pickup. Never mind the being 5x what they are worth.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
My 2008, 2WD, 2.3-ltr, Ranger has 250+k miles on it, still running strong.
Results of last UOA:

"This is another essentially perfect report for your Ranger. A slightly low flashpoint is the only reading
we've had to mark in bold over the past 11 years of samples, and that really goes to show how well you're
taking care of this engine. The 360oF flashpoint equates to a trace amount of fuel - not even enough to
quantify as a percentage - and it's harmless. What's important is the wear levels still look excellent, showing
great internal function, and the oil itself held up well. Its viscosity stayed in spec and the TBN shows active
additives hadn't run out either. Nice report!
"

I'm assuming that "trace amount of fuel" is due to me not fully warming up the motor on that particular oil change.
Instead of my usual changing oil; and collecting sample; after coming back from a drive. That time I only idled the motor for a few minutes in the driveway.

So far the biggest problems have been the airbag recalls plus valve cover gasket, pinion seal, and axle seals needing replacement at around 230k.
BUT I'm a stickler for routinely changing ALL fluids; including power steering, trans, diff, etc ...
And the 2.3-ltr Ford motor actually is a Mazda motor from their FWD drive cars, and turned 90 degrees to use in the Rangers.
So is my Ranger still running good due to my maintenance or because it's a Mazda motor ??

There is not a single new vehicle on the market that I want OR can afford.
Sorry, but automatic transmission, 4-doors, and a 4-ft bed is not a useful pickup. Never mind the being 5x what they are worth.
I got lucky, when the '19 came out there were no discounts and they were all at MSRP... towards the end of '19 they had some discounts so I got one for around 4500 off MSRP and also decided to refinance the house even though I'd refinanced it 2 years before... so, changed my 28 year remaining loan for a 15 year and the payment went up by 50 bucks.. lol

Then Covid and supply issues hit and mortgages rates went up fast along with dealer mark ups of 5k and much more...

Back to the truck, Ford started deleting stuff in '20... like fold down head rests, glove box lights, engine cover... so the first year '19 model was actually the best equipped..

The new Ranger is pretty cool but has the same powertrain as mine and they are 10k more now based on MSRP...

I suppose nothing gets cheaper... Sure would have been nice to buy a dozen 1964 Mustangs back in the day and let them sit in a shed for 50 years...

Oh, my first ranger was a '86 STX Ext Cab 4x4 5sp manual... loved that truck, which is why I had to have a new one when they came out... it looked a little like this one.

1700576671452.png

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
My 2008, 2WD, 2.3-ltr, Ranger has 250+k miles on it, still running strong. And the 2.3-ltr Ford motor actually is a Mazda motor from their FWD drive cars, and turned 90 degrees to use in the Rangers.
Yes it's a Mazda engine. Somewhere in the early-mid 2000's, the Ford 2.3L SOHC 8-valve engine, that essentially dated back to the Pinto, was replaced with the Mazda-designed 2.3L DOHC 16-valve engine, built by Ford, under a joint agreement between Ford and Mazda, and relabeled by Ford as the Duratec. This caused some confusion for Ranger owners, which engine did they have and did it need a timing belt replacement (the old Pinto engine did). I was working as a tech at the time, and sorted this out for several customers.

Anyways, the Mazda designed engine is great and you can expect it to last a long time.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Oh, my first ranger was a '86 STX Ext Cab 4x4 5sp manual... loved that truck, which is why I had to have a new one when they came out... it looked a little like this one.

1700576671452.png
I had extra cab one like that, it was an 88, 2wd, 5 speed manual, with the 2.9L V6. It was decently reliable, except for some reason I always had to put a new thermostat in it every fall, otherwise I had weak heat, and there were no coolant leaks. Never did figure out why this kept happening, luckily it was easy to change the t-stat and top it off, and I was good for another winter :thumb:

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Since we're being nostalgic about our small trucks...

1700586087790.png

... this was my 85 Toyota I drove for 30 years. L U V E D it. 4WD, first year with fuel injection 22RE, 5 speed manual, straight front axle, 24-25 mpg, long bed, hand crank windows. After 360,000 the head gasket started leaking coolant and I found the block had a steam cut.. and I sold it 3 years ago.

It made 236,020 horsepower. No, not the truck, the engine in the background.

Now I drive an 03 Tundra that I bought new 20 years ago. I like it, but the 5 speed manual, 22re 4 cylinder was fun and easy. Tundra is like a big boring Buick.

Last edited:
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Yes it's a Mazda engine. Somewhere in the early-mid 2000's, the Ford 2.3L SOHC 8-valve engine, that essentially dated back to the Pinto, was replaced with the Mazda-designed 2.3L DOHC 16-valve engine, built by Ford, under a joint agreement between Ford and Mazda, and relabeled by Ford as the Duratec. This caused some confusion for Ranger owners, which engine did they have and did it need a timing belt replacement (the old Pinto engine did). I was working as a tech at the time, and sorted this out for several customers.

Anyways, the Mazda designed engine is great and you can expect it to last a long time.
Ah, yes the 2.3 liter Pinto timing belt. One thing about it, it was easy to change. Non interference engine. Our 4 speed 74 Pinto wagons' timing belt broke while the wife was driving with both kids in the car in the middle of a very busy Denver city intersection. Everybody tried to tell her she was out of gas. NOT. Towed the car home and changed the belt in about 45 min start to finish. Was a great car. Owned it for almost 10 years and 90000+ miles. Drove it all over Europe and the Western US. Did have to put two clutches and a water pump in it along with the timing belt.

Picture is of my wife and car back in the mid to late 70's

03-05-2015 05;15;26AM.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Since we're being nostalgic about our small trucks...

1700586087790.png

... this was my 85 Toyota I drove for 30 years. L U V E D it. 4WD, first year with fuel injection 22RE, 5 speed manual, straight front axle, 24-25 mpg, long bed, hand crank windows. After 360,000 the head gasket started leaking coolant and I found the block had a steam cut.. and I sold it 3 years ago.

It made 236,020 horsepower. No, not the truck, the engine in the background.

Now I drive an 03 Tundra that I bought new 20 years ago. I like it, but the 5 speed manual, 22re 4 cylinder was fun and easy. Tundra is like a big boring Buick.
And it is no easy task to replace a head gasket on a 22RE!

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Ah, yes the 2.3 liter Pinto timing belt. One thing about it, it was easy to change. Non interference engine. Our 4 speed 74 Pinto wagons' timing belt broke while the wife was driving with both kids in the car in the middle of a very busy Denver city intersection. Everybody tried to tell her she was out of gas. NOT. Towed the car home and changed the belt in about 45 min start to finish. Was a great car. Owned it for almost 10 years and 90000+ miles. Drove it all over Europe and the Western US. Did have to put two clutches and a water pump in it along with the timing belt.

Picture is of my wife and car back in the mid to late 70's

03-05-2015 05;15;26AM.jpg
How did a mug like you get a cute wife like that!!??
;)
Mike

Top Bottom