Ouch! Nissan's turn?

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Just read where the NHTSA is opening a recall investigation on Nissan turbocharged three and four cylinder powered vehicles for premature engine failure. The potential recall involves nearly 500,000 vehicles. The article wasn't very clear but it seems the recall involves a bearing failure. Two normally reliable Japanese marques with potential engine failures in the past several months! This will likely be a very expensive recall and Nissan is the least healthy of the Japanese manufacturers.

Mike

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Following. Thankfully, we don't own a Nissan with a turbo.

However, I drive a Titan truck. It's a fantastic truck, but it's given me more cause for mechanical anxiety than any of the Fords I owned previously. It's a straight up V8 with no turbo, but I'm all the same interested in Nissan's good or mis-fortunes, as the case may be.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Ha, my Ford's have all been perfect, GMs, not so much...Mazda fun and rock solid, Toyota meh, uncomfortable and under powered but reliable.

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Well ... most mechanical conveyances eventually need something. My brother has driven Fords faithfully for years, in spite of blown turbos and other mechanical maladies. Over the course of four Rangers i replaced one fuel pump, one tie rod end, a torque converter (under warranty), a radiator, and one 4wd (electrical) engagement box. On my last one (a 2010) I had to have the front end rebuilt to keep it in alignment. After that, no problems. And if one reads at the model specific forums for other trucks, it seems they all have their quirks.

At 71k miles my Titan developed an issue with the #7 cylinder that led to an engine replacement. Figuring that out and waiting on mother Nissan to hand down a ruling was stressful, but they stood good and replaced the engine. I have no complaints about the truck, or the company. In the back of my mind I'm considering trading for a '24 sometime in the spring, but that would be just to get the benefit of the 9-speed transmission for towing our camper.

Re, the Titan's impending demise: I've heard and read about that. The thing is a splendid half-ton truck that boasts the best warranty in the industry (5 yrs or 100k miles). I can't figure out why Nissan has not marketed it more strongly. It would not surprise me for them to come back in a year or two with an updated model in V6TT, or such as that. Personally, I like the V8 in the one I have. It's a proven engine that produces 400 hp in stock form. I've yet to overload it.

Top Bottom