Owner's Manual Maintenance Schedule help

Gizmo

Bike
2015 R3, 2009 DN-01
Recently bought my '11 NT700V last month with about 9500 miles. The Owner's Manual maintenance schedule states that the "valve clearance" needs to be inspected @ 8K. Is there any way that I could found out IF it was actually done by the previous owner via a Honda dealership or someone else, possibly by a VIN number database. A few years back, I approached the local Honda dealership with a similar question about my DN-01 and they said "no." My main reason for asking is because both bikes use the same engine but the NT700V "sounds" differently than the DN-01 (about 15k miles), like it wants for me to "up shift," higher pitch sound. I DO get better gas mileage from the NT700V over the DN-01, about 10+, of course, the DN-01 IS an automatic, 6 speed. Any input would be welcome. I don't want to spend money IF I don't have to or possibly have the shop "damage" the bike dis-assembling/re-assembling. Thanks

I think you'd have to find the dealership that did the maint and see if they would give you any info. I don't think Honda collects all the maint records from all the dealers but I could be wrong.

I think Mellow is correct. I take it that the previous owner did not provide you with any service records. If not can you call them and ask if the valves were ever adjusted ?

I doubt if they could tell you about normal maintenance, but when I took my bike in with the electrical problem last week, Interstate Honda pulled up my 4-yr, 9-mo warranty repair record. It was a fairly long list by the time three pannier latch replacements were on it, plus one water pump, fork seals, and the final drive and pinion bearing.

Recently bought my '11 NT700V last month with about 9500 miles. The Owner's Manual maintenance schedule states that the "valve clearance" needs to be inspected @ 8K. Is there any way that I could found out IF it was actually done by the previous owner via a Honda dealership or someone else, possibly by a VIN number database. A few years back, I approached the local Honda dealership with a similar question about my DN-01 and they said "no." My main reason for asking is because both bikes use the same engine but the NT700V "sounds" differently than the DN-01 (about 15k miles), like it wants for me to "up shift," higher pitch sound. I DO get better gas mileage from the NT700V over the DN-01, about 10+, of course, the DN-01 IS an automatic, 6 speed. Any input would be welcome. I don't want to spend money IF I don't have to or possibly have the shop "damage" the bike dis-assembling/re-assembling. Thanks

Invest in a service manual and do the stuff yourself since the dealer won't / can't help you. If you do it you will know it is done and is correct. Yes the Tupperware is a PIA to get off but take your time and a picture trail etc and you should be ok.

It is "funny" that while you can look up a cars service records, as long as the service was performed at a dealership, but you can't do the same thing with a motorcycle. :rolleyes1:

If you know where the bike was located prior to your purchasing it I'd try calling the local dealers and see if any of them have any service records for it...

It is "funny" that while you can look up a cars service records, as long as the service was performed at a dealership, but you can't do the same thing with a motorcycle. :rolleyes1:

If you know where the bike was located prior to your purchasing it I'd try calling the local dealers and see if any of them have any service records for it...

Wayne:

Auto dealers can only look up maintenance that was performed at their dealership. Owner paid maintenance is not shared information between dealers. Warranty repairs and maintenance that are paid for by the manufacturer are accessible by other dealers through the manufacturer data base.

Mike

Hmm, with Ford's OASIS system I thought you could see any services that were performed at a Ford dealer. I had a routine 15K service performed while "on the road" at a Ford dealership in North Carolina and my local dealership could see it had been done. The wild card here is since I had Ford service contact on that vehicle, versus "owner paid" one service at a time, maybe why it was visible...

Auto dealers can only look up maintenance that was performed at their dealership.

Mike, Toyota, at least, makes service information available on the net. I bought a used Tacoma and was able to track its service history back to its beginnings. I can also update the service history to show the work that I do on it or that anyone else does. I was pleased to find that the previous owner had had all of the scheduled maintenance done at a dealership. It would be useful if all vehicle manufacturers did what Toyota does.

Gizmo, as others have said, you might contact your bike's seller and see whether you can get info there or track back to a previous owner for info. In any case, forum members have found that the valves stay in adjustment for much longer than the factory service interval, so I wouldn't be too concerned. For peace of mind, you could get the service done at 16K.

If that is the case with Toyota, then I stand corrected. With the domestics however that is not the case unless something has changed in the last several years since I retired.

Mike

Thanks to everyone who chimed in .... I just may be able to "find" the original owner via the dealership where the person traded the bike in. Also, I think I might have seen THIS bike at the local Honda dealership when it was on the floor there ... ONLY saw one every time I visited. Hopefully, they would have "maintained" the records on said bike. Thanks again

If that is the case with Toyota
I can't speak for any other brand, but Volkswagen keeps a record of every time a car visits a VW dealership. Last summer I stopped in a Canadian dealer to ask a question about my car pulling to the right; the mechanic drove it and convinced me it was just a function of the roads on Vancouver island. The next time I visited my Louisiana dealer for a regular checkup/oil change, the mechanic told me he saw that nothing was done about my complaint in Canada, and that he checked the front end and alignment to make sure every thing was ok. I was amazed, since I'd forgotten all about my visit in Canada. Another example that big brother knows more about our business than we do.

Required content: the difficulty of removing the tupperware from the NT is highly overrated, as long as you have a shop manual.

Ken

But once one gets the sequence of the Tupperware removal down, a manual is not necessary. Good Idea to have it handy though, in case the brain has a misstep or two of the sequence.:smile:

Back
Top Bottom