Oxford HeaterZ - Wiring harness?

Haakon

Hello,

I have a pair of Oxford HeaterZ I'm going to install on my NT and I'm wondering if I will need a wiring harness to do so. Has anyone else installed the Oxfords on their bike, and if so any pointers, gotchas, etc?

Thanks!:wink:

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I chose not to use a relay to the battery. The Honda ACC connection is fused and provides 10A switched current. The grips only use 4A. IIRC the factory heated grips are powered from that same plug.

OP
OP

Haakon

Thanks for the replies! I will just take her in to my mech and have him do it. I'm going to have some Salamander tapered bar ends with throttle lock at the same time :D

Haakon

CommuterNT

Ran them straight to a Fuze Block I have and have them on keyed power. Fuze Block was one of the best add-ons I put, makes all the wiring easy as pie. Although be careful, you know you have a problem with electrical farkles when you run out of places to install your wires in the block and think about adding a second...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
But, you may not need that second Fuzeblock. I was way too "dainty" with mine for way too many miles. I got intimidated by the 10A/circuit limitation and by the 30A total allowed.

And I was too stooped to divide the watts various farkles drew from my electrical power by 12V. So, I clobbered a whole bunch of stuff together by attaching things to the battery post and had hardly anything wired to the Fuzeblock.

That led to intermittent contact that fried my regulator/rectifier and a couple of connectors in the wiring harness. Now, everything but my Battery Tender SAE connection is wired to the Fuzeblock. I've got my GPS and my tire-pressure monitor wired to a non-switched circuit, everything else to a switched circuit. My wiring is much, much cleaner and everything is protected and well within the Fuzeblock limits for circuit amperage and total amperage.

Yea! Fuzeblock, Fuzeblock! You're GREAT!!

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I guess if you have heated gloves, vest AND heated grips, you might exceed the 10A capacity of the accessory circuit Honda supplies.

I had LED lights (~2A), heated grips (~3A), GPS(0.5A) and phone (1A). Never saw a reason for the accessory fuse block.

Top Bottom