Ozarks ride next May

I recently put together a Missouri Route 66 ride with some scooter friends. Now that I have the NT, I'm thinking about stretching my legs a bit and making a run from St. Louis, down some backroads into northern Arkansas, across to Eureka Springs, then up to the Lake of the Ozarks area and returning to St Lou. I'm thinking 3 or 4 days next May should make the trip enjoyable and not an iron butt

They way I did the 66 run was a different but set location every night. That way people can ride their own pace and know exactly where to meet up with the group if they get the urge to carve the twisties or take a side run that interests them. I'm a speed limit plus 5 kind of guy, myself.

I know the South Dakota meet up is in June but I also know I won't be making that run. If there is any interest, I will probably post on the Burgman and Silverwing forums as I've been a member of both those groups and neither machine has any difficulty keeping up.

Let me know if this sounds interesting to you. I know we have 1 Arkansas member and a few from Texas who could join us on the Arkansas leg.

Regards, Randy.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Sounds interesting, Randy. My folks lived about 1/2 mile from the Missouri/Arkansas border on the MO side, but got their mail from Blue Eye which sits on the border about 6 miles from where they lived. I've ridden several hunded miles on a bicycle in that area and quite a bit on motorcycles.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Randy - the June "ST/NT Rally" in SD now seems to have very few of either type of bike and has mostly become a gathering for motorcyclists of all types/brands. According to Phil there were only 2 NTs at the 2021 gathering. My guess is that the long-time, NT regulars are still attending but now on different bikes.

For me, the June date of the SD rally always clashes with the MSTA national rally held in various locations so I opt for the latter since I've been a member of that group for 30+yrs. Next year it will be held in Cape Giradeau, MO.

Long ramble but go ahead with your ride because you're not going to step on any toes. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Good morning Gents,
Thanks for the feedback. At this point, I am in the development stages but I think it has some merit. My Rte 66 trip was pretty good and was structured the same way. By staying in a different town each night, different legs of the trip are closer to some than others. That would allow anyone to join up for all or just their part of the trip.

Phil, you have some familiarity with that part of the country and can attest to the intriguing nature of the Ozark roadways. I hope you can find a clear spot in your calendar to join in….whenever I figure out dates for May.

Dirtflier, I’m not familiar with the MSTA meeting but Cape Girardeau is a mere 100 miles from my door. I’ll look it up and you may (probably will) see me there. I’ll be the old guy with a smile and a silver NT. 😁

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
"I'll be the old guy with a smile and silver NT.."

Like most motorcycle groups today, the MSTA is mostly made up of "old guys" so you won't feel alone!

MSTA's national rally is called STAR and the dates are June 19-22, 2022. Cape Giradeau was the original location for the 2020 rally but it got cancelled due to Covid-19. This year, we had STAR near Davis WV at the Canaan Valley Resorts. Deb & I always get there a few days early and help in Registration on Sunday which is the busiest day. And she rides her own NT!

OP
OP
"I'll be the old guy with a smile and silver NT.."

Like most motorcycle groups today, the MSTA is mostly made up of "old guys" so you won't feel alone!

MSTA's national rally is called STAR and the dates are June 19-22, 2022. Cape Giradeau was the original location for the 2020 rally but it got cancelled due to Covid-19. This year, we had STAR near Davis WV at the Canaan Valley Resorts. Deb & I always get there a few days early and help in Registration on Sunday which is the busiest day. And she rides her own NT!
On my calendar, thanks. I’ll join the group soon.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The only conflict I see is with the eastern NT rally held in WV or SE Ohio. I'm not sure if dates have been set for that yet. It's been a pretty good-sized group mainly riding NTs.

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
The only conflict I see is with the eastern NT rally held in WV or SE Ohio. I'm not sure if dates have been set for that yet. It's been a pretty good-sized group mainly riding NTs.
We haven't set the date for the WV / OH gathering for 2022 but it has always been the Thursday thru Sunday the 3rd weekend of May so will likely plan for that next year. Location is yet to be determind. DirtFlier and I usually work together to determine location.

OP
OP
We haven't set the date for the WV / OH gathering for 2022 but it has always been the Thursday thru Sunday the 3rd weekend of May so will likely plan for that next year. Location is yet to be determind. DirtFlier and I usually work together to determine location.
So noted. Since I floated the idea, I’ve been hit with several other ride opportunities that might move mine to the back burner Or a different month. I know I won’t do South Dakota this year but there are some other rides that are of interest. The Ohio ride is of interest for sure. There is also a national sport tour rally that is happening in Cape Girardeau, MO in June and that is a short 100 miles from Casa de Randy 😉 My ride might wait until the following year Because I’m still working…until the following year.

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
I don't think yours would interfere with the one in WV / OH but just wanted you to know about it in case you'd like to make the trip. We've had some great groups and everyone is welcome. Skipped it last year and kept it pretty low key this year due to COVID but had an impromptu one in may and then again in September so we'll go back to posting again in 2022.

I so want to get down to the Ozarks this coming year. Already have routes picked out, spots to see and maps made. 😁

OP
OP
That’s the perfect sign to take a motorcycle pic. Keep an eye on this message and I will let you know if the ride will happen next year. I’ve gotten a few offers for some other rides that might get me to postpone until 2023 after I retire. I lived in Virginia for 3 years and travelled through Charlottesville several times. Coming from someone from that area, praise of the Ozarks terrain is high praise indeed. 😊

OP
OP
That sounds fine, we've got a lot of good motorcycle roads in Bollinger County, let alone the whole SE part of Missouri.
True that. I grew up in Poplar Bluff and have been all over the SE part of the state. It's a deer hunting paradise. I just don't want to bag one with my bike. 😉

OP
OP
Well then, are either of you up for a ride this Sunday? I'm coming from st louis and can meet somewhere in the middle. It's going to be a great day for riding.

Top Bottom