Painting Idea

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
My neighbor is gonna have her house painted next year. Home is 10 years old IIRC. Nice siding. Two coats of quality paint. $6000.
My home is from 1978. The Cedar siding looks wonderful on the north side of the house. . East and west not so much. South side, way bad. I paint my house about every 9 years. This is the 9th year. I caulk the cracks and put on one heavy coat. Right now, its 100 degrees out and the siding is 161 degrees. In the sun.

Quality paint in the lowest grade is $50 a gallon. A bit less by the 5 gallon bucket. I bought 15 gallons to start and I had 6 left over from the last time and it seems to paint well. Gonna use it on the wall of death in the south side.

It occurs to me that there is all sorts of free latex exterior paint, most of it date marked, at the recycling center. I am gonna try a patch on the wall of death and then cover it with the real paint. This should stretch the paint dollar. Any reason not to? Here is my experimental patch that will get the real color tonight.
(I actually kind of like the effect of 3D paint that the caulk gives...looks rough hewn.) I am not planning on living another 9 years so this will be the last time I paint. If I am still alive in 9 years, I will just pay to have the place re-sided....but most siding I dont like. I figure by 83 years old I wont care.
a paint scheme.jpg

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
My house had cedar siding on 2nd floor and I had it painted twice then opted for vinyl siding. I should have only painted it once then gone to siding!

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
My neighbor is gonna have her house painted next year. Home is 10 years old IIRC. Nice siding. Two coats of quality paint. $6000.
My home is from 1978. The Cedar siding looks wonderful on the north side of the house. . East and west not so much. South side, way bad. I paint my house about every 9 years. This is the 9th year. I caulk the cracks and put on one heavy coat. Right now, its 100 degrees out and the siding is 161 degrees. In the sun.

Quality paint in the lowest grade is $50 a gallon. A bit less by the 5 gallon bucket. I bought 15 gallons to start and I had 6 left over from the last time and it seems to paint well. Gonna use it on the wall of death in the south side.

It occurs to me that there is all sorts of free latex exterior paint, most of it date marked, at the recycling center. I am gonna try a patch on the wall of death and then cover it with the real paint. This should stretch the paint dollar. Any reason not to? Here is my experimental patch that will get the real color tonight.
(I actually kind of like the effect of 3D paint that the caulk gives...looks rough hewn.) I am not planning on living another 9 years so this will be the last time I paint. If I am still alive in 9 years, I will just pay to have the place re-sided....but most siding I dont like. I figure by 83 years old I wont care.
a paint scheme.jpg
I put 12" cedar lap siding on my house (built in 1982) and found the same thing you did Chris. North side was in great shape, east and west sides were OK and the south side took a beating. I initially used Cuprinol stain which lasted pretty well, but they quit making it. The only products left on the market were environmentally better but didn't hold well at all. Re-coating the siding was pretty simple. I just power-washed it, covered the windows, and sprayed it. Power washing took about an hour, covering the windows took about 4 hours and spraying it took less than an hour.

But the south side became pretty bad with cracks so I re-sided the south side with LP SmartSide. I did a stone veneer on the bottom part and matched up the siding as best I could. Wife likes the looks and I''m done painting. So how come I'm not out riding my motorcycle now?

IMG_1359.jpeg

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I put 12" cedar lap siding on my house (built in 1982) and found the same thing you did Chris. North side was in great shape, east and west sides were OK and the south side took a beating. I initially used Cuprinol stain which lasted pretty well, but they quit making it. The only products left on the market were environmentally better but didn't hold well at all. Re-coating the siding was pretty simple. I just power-washed it, covered the windows, and sprayed it. Power washing took about an hour, covering the windows took about 4 hours and spraying it took less than an hour.

But the south side became pretty bad with cracks so I re-sided the south side with LP SmartSide. I did a stone veneer on the bottom part and matched up the siding as best I could. Wife likes the looks and I''m done painting. So how come I'm not out riding my motorcycle now?

IMG_1359.jpeg
Looks great!
I can stand to paint only 3-4 hours a day, then I want to throw up. Gag. And too much ladder work.

Day 26 of painting my house...down to the small detail stuff.....
American made carpet tape works much better than Chinese painters tape.
paint one.jpg

Once you start painting, you get all sorts of kibitzers and supervisors who show up.

paint 4.jpg
Also trying to do everything possible to make my place safe. Oregon rd people did nothing.....now after a week, 11,000 acres are gone with many homes and its only 33 percent contained
We are still under a state of emergency.

a fire.jpg

Interestingly, much of our air support is down in Louisiana fighting a 15,000 acre fire in their drought.
Panama is so dry they dont know how much longer they can run canal number one which is a total loss system.
1693083884185.png

Top Bottom