Pannier Protection

ADK Jim

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Pannier Protection
Guys, first I hope I am posting this correctly as I never can find directions on "how to post", so forgive me if this is in the wrong spot or there is an easier way. Also, I shared with Phil a trip report about a recent 2,010 mile Blue Ridge Parkway ride/camping trip but not sure how to post it (help?)

And now the news!

Having now dropped (slow motion falls) my bike twice and scratched the wide pannier lids, and also having had them repainted at the shop, I thought there must be a better way. I did an extensive search for tip-over bars like the ones Motorcycle Larry sold for our bigger ST brother, but nothing existed that I could find for the NT. I thought about fabricating my own, but could not find a good solution for attachment, so I went to the Deauville forum across the pond and searched and found some nifty molded rubber bumpers that were much nicer looking that those I could find over here. I purchased the set, and hope they do the trick. Like I said, all my scratches have been from slow motion affairs that were caused by me trying to make slow turns with probably not enough power or hitting in a panic the front brake causing the fall.

The firm I purchased these from was called (JJC) Race and Rally which I found on eBay and it only took about a week for delivery. Cost was just under $16.00 for the pair and shipping to FL was approximately $13.00. The bumpers are 370mm long. Far cheaper than steel fabrication and welding.

Hope this posting helps others.

Safe riding,

Jim

Attachments

OP
OP
ADK Jim

ADK Jim

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
a few riders have already found them and put them on, must be some pics or posts soemehere

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've got something similar but haven't ever gotten around to putting them on. Yours look better.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Yes, they look great. How did you determine mounting location for max protection? :)

ps. I was an MSF instructor for 16 years and in those days we taught "U-turn in a box," both to the left and right. The key is totally avoiding the front brake and turning your head to look where you wanted to go - to the opposite end of the box. If you don't look, you couldn't make the turn tight enough. It also helps greatly to keep the throttle steady and "drag" the rear brake to adjust speed. Chopping the throttle suddenly or giving it a burst of power, puts you off line. Find an empty parking lot somewhere and practice...practice...practice! :)

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
I have these on my NT and when I dropped it in my garage the bump strip stopped any damage to the pannier.

You have made a good choice.

Seagrass

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
I owned my NT for seven years and it never fell over. Took a little trip and twice it fell down all loaded down with my gear...

OP
OP
ADK Jim

ADK Jim

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Thanks DirtFlier! Practicing the tight slow turn is how I dropped the bike the first time. I was attending a demo at Americade in Lake George, NY this summer and watched the slow police skill riding and they offered to teach anyone the next day early in the morning. I went and just could not get the engine to be at the right rpm's and panicked and grabbed the front brake - down she went. The second drop was when I was fully loaded with my camping gear and at the end of a long day on the Blue Ridge Parkway in July and went to make a tight U-turn. Being tired and not thinking I would make the turn - drop again, but this time on the opposite side pannier. Not a happy camper. This is the one skill I really need to learn but I am having difficulty with it. When you come down to FL, I'll take some more lessons! Appreciate the pointers. And finally, I seem to be able to do the tight turns without problem with my Vespa, but I just feel the NT is a bit top heavy - I am a pretty light weight fellow. Jim

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Do they fit low enough to prevent the lower part of the larger panniers from hitting the ground/pavement first?

LeeU

OP
OP
ADK Jim

ADK Jim

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
LeeU - I am not sure because I haven't dropped the bike since I installed them. I think they will do the trick and they are sure better than taking the lids to the body shop each time! Hope this helps. Jim

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...Practicing the tight slow turn is how I dropped the bike the first time. I was attending a demo at Americade in Lake George, NY this summer and watched the slow police skill riding and they offered to teach anyone the next day early in the morning. I went and just could not get the engine to be at the right rpm's and panicked and grabbed the front brake - down she went...ADK Jim]

If you are a walking pace and you GRAB the front brake, you almost always fall. If the steering is just a few degrees to the left or right, stopping the front wheel makes the bars turn even more than desired you usually lose your balance.

At least for me, the key to doing the U-turn in a box was 1) keep the throttle at a modest setting, 2) use the rear brake to adjust speed, and 3) adjust the angle of lean by feathering the clutch lever. If you let the clutch out fully, the bike will try and stand up and go too wide. If you pull the clutch in, the bike will lean more to the inside to tighten the turn. If it leans too much and makes you feel like your falling, let it out just a hair and the bike will lean less.

Last edited:
Reactions: WB.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The most difficult part for me - now an old geezer - is turning my head far enough to the rear. The chin bar of my full face helmet always runs into my shoulder and the flexibility of my neck (and other parts!) is not what it once was.

Bike
WR250R/KTM 890/KTM690
Those pannier guards look great. I could not source then in USA so I ordered them from the brits through EBAY. Delivered cost for 2 was $56.81 us dollars

OP
OP
ADK Jim

ADK Jim

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
They look super - I notice a Honda logo on them. What was there original purpose?

Bike
2010 NT700V
I put the "Honda" on there. It's cut from a team graphics sticker sheet, most dealers will have them. The bumper guard comes out of the box with the black oval empty. I'm guessing in some markets the manufacturer has different names they can mold there as needed.

OP
OP
ADK Jim

ADK Jim

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Thanks NewTo700V. Again it looks great.

Top Bottom