Pannier scratches

Bike
2011 Black NT700
As a result from a SAD moment I have scratches on my black right pannier. Does anyone have a suggestion on removing scratches?
Thanks, Clint

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Depending on how deep they are, a mild rubbing compound might do. The toothpaste in your medicine cabinet has a nice mild abrasive that will also work for surface scratches. IMHO, SAD scratches add character to a bike.

Mike

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I let my bike fall over in the driveway and it scratched the right pannier. I buffed the scratches with several applications of Meguiars PlastX car headlight cover polish - protectant. It did not remove the slight scratches but notably reduced their visibility. If you're going to try PlastX please check usage on a small area 1st as my panniers are the factory painted red.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Clint,

You can take a black magic permanent marker with a fine tip and very carefully go over the scratches with it if the scratches are into the white under coat . I have done tha with mine, It has gotten lazy on more than one occasion and laid down to nap on both sides a couple of times. No major damage other than passion scratches , with a little scuffing on the tip over pads . I figure if I replace/ repair any of the appearance areas that in a matter of time there will be a reoccurance, so I am just leaving well enough alone. I keep waiting for Phil's large pannier lid service:) to have another pair of those available , then I would consider doing a crinkle paint job ,or a bed liner pain job on them.

Eldon

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
There will never be another sale of large pannier lids from Phil's Pannier Service Center.

I've gone to a combination of rough sanding, satin black spray paint and stickers.

I've got Iron Butt legend Bill Thweatt's "My Local Riding Area" decals on both panniers. a Four Corners Ride decal on the right pannier and a "There's Absolutely No Excuse For the Way I'm About to Act" John Ryan commemorative decal on the left pannier, plus Twisted Throttle's reflective triangle stickers on the back of both.

If I had it to do over, I'd use bed liner spray on as the base color.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
LOL it sure didn't take long for that to get your attention, I just wanted toss that out in case there were some floating around although seriouslyI don't think the bike would fit into it's parking place with them installed.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
On my Spearfish trip the plastic area that houses the front latch hardware inside my left pannier failed and I was able to rebuild it using epoxy
Last night I discovered the rear latch plastic on the same pannier has failed but cant be rebuilt
And it happened all by its lonesome whilst riding down the road...just disintegrated; nothing in the pannier, so overloading is not the cause; and abuse is not the cause either
Anyway, I think I have a source to replace the lid. I'm not ready to start doing mods to the lids yet
I have some little marine "Bungee Buddies" I may try someday, but not just yet
My vanity won't abide such measures...yet

Top Bottom