Pants length too long for short legged me.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Am I the only one with a 30" inseam? It always seems I can not find pants in my waist size with a short inseam in stock. I not won the lottery yet so I don't have Areostich, okay too cheap. It seems all the pants are 32-4 in over 38" waist. Lucky my wife owes me favors, and she does not mind sowing. Buying at a discount is almost impossible to get the short length. I know I shrunk with the iron in my back but my legs are still the same, but I can not find short length pants. And how big are the wrist on people? seems each jacket has an opening to put your hands through like you wearing a baseball mitt.

HAT

Bike
2010 Red NT700
30" inseam here, too (36" waist, 5'9", stocky build). Last set of pants I bought, went with women's instead of men's. Same pants, different proportions - shorter legs for equivalent waist. Just needed to convert men's waist size in inches to women's sizing (10, 12, 14, etc). Works for some brands, not for others. Did this with a pair of Olympia pants also, so I only had to have about an 1-1/2" to 2" tailored off instead of 5". Also meant the knee armor ended up in the correct place instead of on my shins.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
First Gear seems to work better than most for fitting us short-legged people.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Gee, with a 30" inseam I'd be 5'9" so I'd probably need to carry oxygen with me!

I eschewed Aerostich pants for 20+ years while having to buy new riding pants every 3-4 years because they wore-out, ripped, zippers failed, etc. Even those makers who offered a "short" version had legs a bit too long for my 27" inseam. About 4-5 years ago I bit the bullet and bought Aerostich Darian pants, tailored for my short legs. After the initial stiffness softened, I loved them and they've held up extremely well. They were less than $300, including tailoring, and well-worth the money.

ps. Aerostich has a 10% off sale each December if you're thinking of buying something expensive from them. I lucked out because my Dariens fell into the December window.

Last edited:
Bike
Bonneville T120
When I got my Olympia riding pants several years ago the bottom 6 or 8 inches was designed to be hemmed to specific lengths for individuals. I took them to a local taylor who did a fine job of making them mine.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Kinda funny in one way. Whenever I go to the store to buy jeans it seems all I can find are 36x30's when I need 36x32's.

I have the opposite problem with shirts. I have longish arms for my body, 35" (yes, long arms, shorter legs). To get the proper arm length I frequently have to buy a larger size shirt/jacket.

I would recommend Tourmaster, but, with 32" legs I have the knee pads all the way in the top position so shorter probably would not work.

I gave up entirely on motorcycle specific pants as the knee armor was never in the correct place and sizes were not only not available but erratic in sizing.

I now stick with 511 Tac true-fit ( yes they do ) with armor underneath them so it sits right on the joint and stays there.
http://www.511tactical.com

The moto-cross guys know a thing or two. The armor works ( I've come off on a forest track...)

That damage would have been to my knee

they are light, fit under pants and work - seconds to strap on and with my boots i'm extremely well protected but look like I'm wearing regular pants/jeans.

Instead the armor stayed on my knee and does not move if the pants move or twist.

I also wear armored shirts for hot weather and again the armor stays on the joint.

I don't wear the kidney belt....once more the armor stays on the joint. My shoulder got torn in that come off and I'm sure it was because the armor in the Joe Rocket jacket moved off the joint because the jacket was open at the collar ( 30 degrees in a rain forest ).
Since then I use the armored shirt when it's hot.

You can add hip armor as well by way of armored shorts - many are available. I'm convinced on armor that sits on the joints and stays there.

I wear Bohn armor which is made of mesh but holds the armor plates in the perfect position. I wear a wick away shirt over it and jeans and you cant tell I am armored up but I am fully protected.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...you can't tell I am armored up...Criville]

I thought you were spending too much time at the gym with free weights! :)

Top Bottom