PArts shopping

Bike
2010 Red NT700
So what is the nomenclature for the black plastic thingy between the gas tank and the tipover bars? The one with the slotted vents that hides the coolant reservoir?

I took off the right side today and saw that my mechanic broke off one of the retaining tabs and now its leaking hot air at the bottom. And yes, the gas tank gasket is properly seated.

I thought I found one in a drawing but it was $154! Can that be right?

Also, who is going to have the best prices on stuff like this?

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
So what is the nomenclature for the black plastic thingy between the gas tank and the tipover bars? The one with the slotted vents that hides the coolant reservoir?

I took off the right side today and saw that my mechanic broke off one of the retaining tabs and now its leaking hot air at the bottom. And yes, the gas tank gasket is properly seated.

I thought I found one in a drawing but it was $154! Can that be right?

Also, who is going to have the best prices on stuff like this?
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/2010/NT700V+AC/MIDDLE+COWL/parts.html

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I get my parts from hondabikes.com but there are dozens of others as well. I believe the part you are looking for is called the middle cowl and yes it is an expensive piece of plastic. I was going to buy a new pair to replace my ugly gray spotted ones until I saw the pricing.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
After looking at that cowl again, even if it is damaged, thats not what is causing so much heat; I mean the huge slotted opening is right there, so its not the fact that its not snug at the bottom.
It did seem that when I put it back on it was 'in there' better than before
I'll have to ride some more and see

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
After looking at that cowl again, even if it is damaged, thats not what is causing so much heat; I mean the huge slotted opening is right there, so its not the fact that its not snug at the bottom.
I believe some have found that if the fuel tank rubber piece (it fits under the front of seat on the rear of the fuel tank) is not installed correctly that some extra heat gets to the rider. May be worth checking.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I believe the middle cowl also had a tab on it that fits under the fuel tank rubber piece. If not put back on correctly that may also cause a gap for hot air.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Make sure your seat is on correctly. I am thinking that it is just the Texas Heat. Nothing one does can minimize the North Texas Heat. Suffered through 11 years of it in Wichita Falls.

paulh

Make sure your seat is on correctly. I am thinking that it is just the Texas Heat. Nothing one does can minimize the North Texas Heat. Suffered through 11 years of it in Wichita Falls.
If you don't want it, blow it this way, please :)

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Im sure I am getting some heat on the right I wasn't getting last summer

I think its coming from behind that same cowl part, but the diagonal edge on the rear part of the gas tank that has the strip of foam on it. I don't think its seating right

tawilke46

I think its coming from behind that same cowl part, but the diagonal edge on the rear part of the gas tank that has the strip of foam on it. I don't think its seating right

You may be on to something here. I think you are right that a foam piece is either missing or not located correctly......or seal at the tank/front of the seat. I just checked my black cowl/vent piece and it does have a black foam strip seal on the length that fits against the tank.
I have thought about adding some foam pipe insulation behind the fuel tank.

Top Bottom