Passenger backrest?

Randall-in-Mpls

New Deauville owner!
Bike
2010 NT700V, 1978 CX500
Does anyone know of an easily-adaptable passenger backrest that's relatively inexpensive?
Thanks.

Bike
2010 NT700V
The easiest thing to do would be to mount one to the top case if the NT has one. Givi has backrests like this that aren't terribly expensive. The flip side is you need to have invested in the mounting plate and top case first.

OP
OP
Randall-in-Mpls

Randall-in-Mpls

New Deauville owner!
Bike
2010 NT700V, 1978 CX500
Thanks for your recommendation.
The top cases seem hard to find. I guess I could go aftermarket. I like the lines without it, though.
After I have the bike, I can see how hard it might be to adapt a generic backrest. Maybe make it easily demountable.
The NT would likely replace the GL650I as my 2-up machine, and I'd like the extra assurance for my passenger.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Bit of advise: having that much weight that high and that far aft (passenger lounging behind the rear axle) will impact handling and stability negatively...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Bit of advise: having that much weight that high and that far aft (passenger lounging behind the rear axle) will impact handling and stability negatively...
P1050334 (2017_11_17 00_21_56 UTC).JPG

I didn't know how this was going to work for a long trip, but I rode with setup for 80 days and 21K miles on my Epic Post-Retirement Ride to Alaska, the Four Corners of the US, and the Maritime Provinces of Canada. I wasn't trying to run at Moto GP speeds, but I also wasn't just chugging along with extreme caution. I rode on gravel, through construction, over roads that were more loose rocks than anything else. The bike is more stable when there's no extra weight, but it does pretty good loaded up like this.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I've had Traveller loaded in a similar fashion to Phil and it still handled well. Not as good as unladen of course but I was never fearful while riding. I am a very conservative rider though.

Mike

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
I never had any problems with mine running two up. I just always put the lightest stuff in the trunk and the rainsuits on top of trunk with bungie netting.
I still use the trunk for light stuff and place a dry bag for heavier stuff on the passenger seat when riding solo (especially during my camping outings) or long cross country runs. Rainsuits always go on top of trunk. Easy to get to that way. And unlike some of the guys noted, I don't ride conservative accept when two up. I these photo's, week long trip, with camping gear, bags full, trunk full of lightweight stuff, heavy bag on passenger seat and huge tank bag full, it handled great in my opinion even on the Tail of the Dragon. Just always use caution after loading until you get the feel of the bike.

20220624_230421.jpg20220624_230330.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
2010 NT700V
The top trunk of a Goldwing is behind the rear axle, so I don't really see what the big deal is. I have a hunch OP isn't going to be doing two-up laps at Donington Park.

Top Bottom