Pending Battery Failure?

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Little notice on newer batteries. Check connections and see if issues there.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Most of the modern electronics have a threshold voltage of ~9V below which the memory settings are no longer maintained. They have an internal voltage regulator which can maintain a steady voltage, but once the supply voltage drops below 9V, all bets are off. I suspect that during cranking your battery voltage is dropping somewhere south of 9V and thus the odometer issue. A DVOM with a recording capability can confirm this.

Mike

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I believe my clock started reseting when my battery was starting to fail.
I would have the battery checked, put a meter on it while cranking, or replace.

Brad

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Your battery is on it's way out.

The same started happening to my display and, as the temperature dropped, the more frequently it happened. I was able to use my battery for about a year after it started doing this just because the temperatures were very mild in winter and spring. The battery finally gave up the ghost one cold evening about a month or so ago.

Note, so far, I'm very pleased with my LiFePO (Skyrich Lithium Ion) battery.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Chris, you can probably stretch its life by using a Battery Tender.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I still have the original battery in my NT700V which was bought new in Dec 2009. Over all those years and miles, my digital voltmeter shows a drop of 0.2-0.3v with the engine running. Some of that drop is temperature dependent. It lives on the charger whenever it's not being ridden. I was going to replace the battery this winter but it still starts the engine without any problems. :)

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I need to buy stock in yausa (or maybe a winning powerball ticket). My NT has been acting up for about a week and a half and confirmed with a no start today. It has been cranking slow and reset the clock one time. My KLX 250 (I don't ride it in winter) has a new battery for it sitting on the bench. The four wheeler needs one also.
So I've got one new one on the bench and 2 on order. Does this stuff happen in threes?

Brad

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Seems like all my vehicles tires wear out at the same time, usually the same month insurance and property tax bill comes due.
Not laughing about it, but I thought I was the only person that happened to.

Top Bottom