Philly to Kentucky...and a flat

Bike
'10 Silver NT700
On Saturday, July 19th, I left home bound for Red Bird Mission in Beverly Kentucky, to join 100+ other church people in doing a week's mission work on homes/trailers in the Appalachian mountains. The ride was nice, even though most of it was on the super slab. I did stop to assist a motorist with a flat tire along the way. I noticed a significant drop in fuel economy toward the end of the day, but thought nothing of it as the bike was running fine. Saturday night I met up with most of the group at a hosting church in Abingdon VA for a sleeping bag overnight in the church. The next morning, while repacking, I noticed the rear tire was completely flat. With some assistance, I put the bike on its centerstand and removed the self-tapping metal screw from the tire (likely picked up when I stopped to assist the other motorist) and replaced it with a rope-plug I carry with me. Refilled the tire with my mini-compressor (love that emplty crossover space between the two panniers) and it was fine the rest of the way down to southeastern Kentucky. Checked the pressure several times over the week, with no discernable drop in pressure and made it back home without incident - even stopping to assist two more stranded motorists on the way home. While it wasn't a multi-week, cross-country ride, I did wear another 1700 miles off the tires.

Question - How safe is it to continue riding on a plugged tire? I ride Michelin Pilot Road 3 tires and normally get 10K and 15K out of the front and rear respectively. The rear isn't due for replacement for another 4500 miles, but the front is currently due for a change. Do I just do them both? compacc.com looks like it has a set of Michelin Pilot Road 3s for $215-$250 (depending upon sizes). Better deal elsewhere?

Question - This trip put me over for several other scheduled maintenance issues - spark plugs, air cleaner, brake/clutch/antifreeze fluids, and final drive oil - and given my current busy schedule (I'm doing my first Ironman triathlon in Ohio on 9/7), I'm likely just going to take it to my local shop rather than do the work myself. Since the plastic removal can sometimes be an issue, do you recommend I take it to a Honda service place and pay the higher hourly rate? My Honda PC800s were worked on my my local shop, but I'm always a bit leary of technicians who may not be familiar with the bike, though I will provide them with the full service manual.

Thanks for the WOTL.

Cameron

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I have never had any issues with finishing out a tire w/plug in it. If I was going on a long multi-day 5k trip I would probably replace it and keep the other as a spare just for peace of mind but that's it.

It's all about what YOU feel comfortable with. Some have had plugs fail but they usually do that within a short time after the initial plugging.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
My Honda PC800s were worked on my my local shop
If you were happy with the work they did on your PC800, and are providing the Service Manual, I would go with them. I've seen to many "monkeys with wrenches" at dealerships to believe they are any better than the independents.

OP
OP
Bike
'10 Silver NT700
Thanks for your input. I'll go with the local shop. Also think I'll have TPMS installed, but will seek input via another posting after I look in the prior posts.

Have a great day!

Bike
Silver NT700V
I have had ALL maintenace done by my local Honda Shop (Honda of Houston) and been satisfied. I did remove and replace body owrk to install my power outlet (aka cigarette lighter) which I miss-wired and my Denali lights (also miss-wired). Both were corrected by the dealer and now work just fine. (I seem to be allergic to tools) With 62,000 miles and climbing, I am very happy with the NT.

Top Bottom