Picked up a 2011 Honda top box and brackets

Bike
2011 NT700v
Anything I need to know regarding installation, operation, modifications, quirks etc?. You know the good the bad and the ugly. :)

I've looked at a couple threads on here but figured I'd ask if anyone else would care to contribute an opinion.

Thanks

fltsfshr

jackgermain

Follow the instructions -- I know I know -- I'm a big help :rofl1:

OP
OP
fltsfshr
Bike
2011 NT700v
Does anyone know is there a PDF file of them online somewhere? I'd like to take a look at them before it shows up.

Thanks

fltsfshr

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Fishr,
Call your Honda dealer and ask him to make you a copy of Publication Number MII 12946 Revised Jun 2010. It is a four page instruction sheet complete with part numbers. It was done by an excellent tech. person. You should have a copy dor your manual. Be careful about blocking any void in the tail section. Anything you drop in there is gone forever---ask me how I know ? It is a well engineered rack/top case bracket. I have the CooCase with the specific mount for that brand. I did see the Honda Publication. If I had one I would send it to you.

Last edited:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Don't be surprised when you have some parts left over. Apparently the mounting kit is designed to fit other Hondas as well as the NT so they give you a few things that you do not need for the NT.

Bike
Red NT700V 2010, #1004.
I do remember the instructions called for a hole saw in Metric, but a borrowed 3/4 " worked fine. When I installed my lower fairing last week, the instructions called for a 12 mm hole saw, and my friend did not have one or even a 1/2" . Neither did the local hardware store. I used a 1/2" pilot pint drill and got along fine.
When I installed my top box, I first sorted and put parts together and made notes on the instructions while at my desk. It went together fine, in the shop after work, until the very last part. A female co-worker with tiny hands happened to be working late in the office and was very helpful with the last two fasteners.
The top box is my most used addition. When it is real windy, I sometimes take it off if not needed. It does catch some wind.
Do not forget to stuff the rags in the hole as mentioned to catch dropped parts.

OP
OP
fltsfshr
Bike
2011 NT700v
i'm fortunate in that I've been playing with S2000's for over a decade. I have all the metric stuff. I haven't been into my NT yet, this will be the first time I've played with it other than an mcl riser. One of the things I have noticed over the years is my S2000 shares lots of stuff with a gold wing. I wonder if I'll find the same in the NT.

fltsfshr

OP
OP
fltsfshr
Bike
2011 NT700v
Well I'm part way there in putting it on. Right now I'm baffled by the two front screws that hold the side grabs on. I have no idea what they put on those but I don't want to break the plastic or ruin the screw head. It feels like a standard flat metal spring steel nut underneath. They won't budge.

Any thoughts? They're sprayed down with blaster right now but I have no clue if it will help.

fltsfshr

OP
OP
fltsfshr
Bike
2011 NT700v
Saved by Blaster. After it sat for 20 min they both loosened. I didn't see any thread lock on them or glue. They sure had them cranked down.

fltsfshr

rcase13

Ah very cool Thanks for the link to the instructions. I have been looking for these for awhile. My bike already had the Honda top box when I bought it. I've always been interested in knowing what the weight limit was for the Honda top box. It's 3.3lbs according to the factory PDFs!!! Really???? LOL I exceed that on a regular basis... Heck a helmet weighs that much...Heck the air that's trapped inside it probably weighs that much!!! OK that might be a bit exaggerated but you get the point. It's ridiculous! So the 30lbs of used oil I put in there to take to the recycling center might be exceeding the limit by just a bit. I hate to think what the weight of all my camping gear weighs.

rcase13

Saved by Blaster. After it sat for 20 min they both loosened. I didn't see any thread lock on them or glue. They sure had them cranked down.

fltsfshr
Yes PB Blaster is very strange. At 19 minutes it doesn't work but right at 20 minutes it worked fine... LOL Seriously that has been my experience. I don't think the bolts have thread lock. In my experience PB Blaster won't do anything to help with that... Even after 20 minutes. I think only heat works for thread lock right?

OP
OP
fltsfshr
Bike
2011 NT700v
I don't think anything works on red., blue you can break free. These were just put on very tight, if they had been allen screws or stars, it would have been easy. Phillips heads are hard to work with on flexing material.

PB Blaster is good stuff.

fltsfshr

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Are you sure the load limit on the Honda top box isn't 3.3 Kg? Still not very much, but 3.3 pounds is ultra-ridiculous.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I looked it up and that's what it says. Weight capacity of the rack at 14.3 lbs minus the weight of the box at 11 lbs leaves 3.3 lbs that you can add to the box.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Ooooooooooooh Kaaaaaaaaaay.

I 'spect I've overloaded some panniers and some top boxes and racks. 'Spect I will again, too.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
3.3lbs is a pair of shoes. I overload it on a daily basis. The spec would appear to be on the ultra conservative side.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Product Liability is a hoot. Wife and I priced some harnesses we could wear on deck that would prevent a man overboard scenario. The commercial harnesses were a simple vest made of Sumbrella with the harness part made of nylon webbing with two stainless D rings attached. Price $129.95. Wife says, I can make those just as good, if not better. Two and a half yards of Sumbrella $30.00, four ss D rings $5.95, Webbing $10.00. Labor for two harnesses, two hours with her sewing machine. So much for Product Liability.

Top Bottom