Pirelli Angel GT - First Impressions

Bike
Sprint GT, 2010 NT, MS950
Well, the stock Bridgestones wore out at about 10k miles, so I took the opportunity to get a pair of the new Pirelli Angel GTs on the NT and proceeded to scrub them in a bit. Here is what I have found so far...

When I first pulled out of my drive, I went about two blocks, turned around and went back home to double-check the air pressures. Hmm...36 front, 42 rear; just what my manual says. These tires are so smooth over road cracks and imperfections that I thought there was something wrong at first. They turned the NT into a Caddy.

After a half-dozen right and left corners at lower speeds, I turned up the speed a bit and tried to get a feel for how they work in the curves. The tires feel very neutral, just continuing to grip without any drama at pretty decent lean angles and totally ignoring the tar strips. I think these are going to be winners.

Over the next week I'll have the chance to get them into the twisties and onto the slab, and possibly out in the rain for a more complete test. If they hold out the way Motorrad Magazine says they did when they won both the high-mileage and top sport touring tire shootouts, then I may have found a new favorite. I can't comment on how they compare to the PR3s because, although I had them on the Sprint, the NT and the Triumph are such different beasts that a comparison would be impossible.

I'll post an update in a week.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KazooST
Bike
Update: the Angel GTs ROCK in the wet, including the mix of rain and snow I got to ride in this week. I rate them equal to or possibly even better than the PR3 in the rain.

Now that they are broken in, I find myself taking curves around 10 mph faster than I did on the stock Bridgestones with half the effort. They also track quite well on rain grooves.

Next year I'll post an update on their longevity.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Ah....the feel of new tires. Feels good. I'll be interested to hear your reports after 15k miles...especially at that front air pressure. Good to hear there maybe another good aftermarket option for tires.

OP
OP
KazooST
Bike
12,000 mile update...

The treadlife has been outstanding...the front is about 40% worn and the rear is down to 60%. The tires are just starting to exhibit a bit of squirminess / tracking on rain grooves at speed on the interstate but are still some of the best wet weather tires I have ever found. I had PR3's on my ST and I think the Angel GT's are at least as good.

My tires spent about 60% of their miles on chip-sealed country roads, 25% on the slab (mostly in the last two months) and 15% city riding. I rode 1-up with a light load and topbox.

I'm looking seriously at the Pirellis for my Sprint GT - they are pretty highly rated on the Triumph forums among the Sprint folks.

In comparison, are the Angels still the better tire overall in comparison to the PR3 or PR4s? I'm looking at replacing my original set of tires this summer.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
This is a good time to revive this thread. I'm going to be looking at new tires soon. Red Bird recommended the Pirelli Angel GT and my current PR4s are wearing out much faster than the last set of PR4s. The Bridgestone T30s are getting some good reviews too. Seems like every new tire I get is wonderful, but the last 5,000 miles on them is the telling story. So I'm still looking and considering.

Bike
2015 R3, 2009 DN-01
When I was deciding what tires to go with, it was a toss up between the PR4's and the Angel GTs, both most HIGHLY recommended by several magazines and testing facilities. I went with the PR4's and time WILL tell, I guess.

I'm considering the same thing. The PR4s have great traction reviews and since I do mostly commute riding, it may be the best way to go.

Top Bottom