Plastic Repair

Bike
2010 NT700V
I read a lot about the latches on side bags breaking. I found this plastic repair kit in the Motorcycle Consumer News Magazine. I found the MCN Magazine a great read and info without advertising. I am going to give it a try.

www.plast-aid.com

Bike
2010 Red NT700V #1001
Looks like you can use this Plast-Aid product in it's initial liquid phase to entirely fill the "cup" area on saddlebag for a form fitting strong repair.

I tried to affect the same type of repair using a plastic weld product, but it kept curing too quickly and left me with a stringy, gap filled repair. Luckily, it's still holding.

If I have to perform a re-do, I think I'll give this Plast-Aid a shot. Just have to check that it's compatible with saddlebag plastic first via instructions on the video.

Good Luck

OP
OP
Bike
2010 NT700V
Looks like you can use this Plast-Aid product in it's initial liquid phase to entirely fill the "cup" area on saddlebag for a form fitting strong repair.

I tried to affect the same type of repair using a plastic weld product, but it kept curing too quickly and left me with a stringy, gap filled repair. Luckily, it's still holding.

If I have to perform a re-do, I think I'll give this Plast-Aid a shot. Just have to check that it's compatible with saddlebag plastic first via instructions on the video.

Good Luck
I will post how the repair works.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 NT700V
I should receive the plast-aid and have the repair next week. I hope it sticks to the lid, if so I plan to build a dam on the lower side of the latch bosses. Then fill the "cup" and the space between the dam and the lower side of the bosses. Hope you get the gist, basically build up both sides of the screw bosses.

I just bought the bike two weeks ago and have a 50/50 thirty day warranty. So, the shop is going to pay half of the new right side lid. Only problem is I will have to paint the new lid to match the bike. image.jpeg

Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
Just take note that the flimsy arrangement on the saddlebag lid also exists on the inner portion of the saddlebag.

I repaired the bosses on the lids with epoxy, JP weld, only to have the inner portion of the saddlebag fail a year or two later.

I repaired the saddlebag problem like many others have done by adding an external suitcase style latch.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 NT700V
Just take note that the flimsy arrangement on the saddlebag lid also exists on the inner portion of the saddlebag.

I repaired the bosses on the lids with epoxy, JP weld, only to have the inner portion of the saddlebag fail a year or two later.

I repaired the saddlebag problem like many others have done by adding an external suitcase style latch.
Guess I should have mentioned, I also ordered the nickel plated external latches from the Hardware Elf. I've be doing a lot of great reading on this forum, thanks to all you NTers! And I've only been following the forum for two weeks, got a lot to catch up on. BB

Plast-aid is a great product. Main advantage is the amount of time you have to work with the stuff before it sets up. Must use with good ventilation. I now only use it outside. Final cured Plast-aid is strong but somewhat more brittle than two part plastic epoxy. Directions are rather vague on proportions. Stuff seems to work over a range of mix proportions. I ended up using only about half of the powder when my liquid was gone. I suggest going a bit light on the liquid. If you use too little liquid the mix sets up too quickly. Try to use only enough liquid to give yourself about 10 minutes of working time.

I had no problems using Plast-aid on the lids or the inner saddlebags. It does not attack the plastic.

Last edited:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I've used Plast-Aid to make some repairs on Debbie's NT and the mixing process is nebulous to say the least. You tap a little of the power into a small plastic cup then you try and dole out a reasonable amount of liquid but I always got way too much liquid. The bottle opening doesn't lend itself to small amounts! As far as I could tell, the only downside was that it took longer to thicken so it could be applied.

I've used Plast-Aid to make some repairs on Debbie's NT and the mixing process is nebulous to say the least. You tap a little of the power into a small plastic cup then you try and dole out a reasonable amount of liquid but I always got way too much liquid. The bottle opening doesn't lend itself to small amounts! As far as I could tell, the only downside was that it took longer to thicken so it could be applied.
Good point. I would use a soft plastic pipette to more carefully drip the liquid into the powder.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Unless I’m mistaken, you only needed four latches and eight hasps (that’s the part that goes on the lid itself. Then mount the latch on the inside part of the pannier and you’re in business.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 NT700V
Unless I’m mistaken, you only needed four latches and eight hasps (that’s the part that goes on the lid itself. Then mount the latch on the inside part of the pannier and you’re in business.
You are correct, but they are only sold as a set. I was able to get them all keyed alike. BB

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
So you are using just one latch per pannier lid?

Mike

OP
OP
Bike
2010 NT700V
No, I am using 2 latches per lid. So, I had to buy 8 latches. Got them on eBay from Southco, they are a bit expensive, $14.99 each. But, only have to buy once.

Top Bottom