Plug it or replace it.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I had about 5K on my first rear RoadSmart 2 when it developed a puncture. I plugged it with a mushroom plug and it lasted about another 10K miles before it began leaking. I thought about replacing the plug with a new one but I had a long trip planned and bit the bullet and bought a new tire. Try it and see what happens.

Mike

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
If nothing else plugging it will give you a bit more practice at tire repair for those times when replacement isn't a readily available option....

Marker

It loks like a sidwall leak. It that is the case for sure replace it. It it is on the tread and just a nail hole, plug it for the time being, being sure to leave plenty of the plug inside the tire cavity. If it had less mileage, then you could take the tire off and put a patch on the inside.
Just my opinion.

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
So I decided to practice my tire plugging skills and plugged the tire. Took about 10 min to plug the hole. I will run it for about a week or two locally, and then practice my tire changing skills as I have the new tire in waiting in the garage and a Cycle Hill Tire Changer in the garage also. Gotta keep my self busy during this cooler weather.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I say plug it , for the experience. You will be suprised how easy it is. I have plugged teo rears tires, the first on the Harley about 250 miles after a new one was put on. I found a new horseshoe nail in it. plugged it here at home had tire warmed up well with a heat lamp, put in plug and put air into it at 50 LBS, left it set two days and started riding it.Rode it into the wear bars and took it into non branded HD shop for tire replacement, LOL the tech came out and got me to come and look at the tire, he said DID YOU KNOW this tire had a plug in it , I said yep it got the nail in it the da after you put it on. I never had a bit of trouble from I, granted I didn't try to ride it at century mark speeds!. Second tire pluging, was in middle of nowhere MT. pulling heavy tent trailer. Stoped and found tire punctures. had to drop traile to access rear tire, put sticky worm in it with no cement as the tube was empty and dried up! I rode about 20 miles to a motel and spent the night. next morning tire was still up. I rode home and continues to ride that tire to the wear bars and then replaced it.

I do recommend keeping a close check on tire pressure for a couple of weeks after installing plug.

Eldon

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Sounds like you did a good job
Well as of today's ride I now have 330 more miles on my plugged tire. I am limiting my riding to my local 100 mile radius until I change out the tire. Still think I can get a couple three hundred more miles out of it. Took off into the foothills today but there was a lot of gravel in the curves so my speeds in the turns were a lot slower today. I got 9530 miles on this rear tire now. By the way, the tire is holding air just fine. Have not lost a lb of air since I plugged the tire.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I would say a outstanding job based on those results. I would think it is safe now to run to the point you choose to replace it at.

Eldon

Top Bottom