Poor Mileage On Super Slabs

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I don't usually see that big a drop on the interstates, but the speeds I run on the interestate are definitely hard on the mileages. Out here in Colorado, if you're running the limit (75) you're getting passed by most people. So my interstate speeds are usually somewhere between 78-81. Depending on wind, my mileages run in the mid-40s on the interstate. With strong headwinds, I have gotten down as low as the mid-30s and as high as the mid-50s.

For the 126 fuel-ups I've recorded, I've averaged 47.4mpg, with a best of 63.6 and a low of 33.6.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
...aerodynamic drag on the bike goes up with speed, therefore, the engine has to work harder to overcome the drag.
Drag increases as the square of velocity. I'd guess gas mileage goes down in roughly the same manner.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Just went out and checked the MPG on the bike computer. Showed 61.4 since I last disconnected the battery (to install power socket). This includes daily commute, mostly at 60 - 70) and a 1,000 mile trip to MS (mostly interstate and good highways so 70 -75). If you run much over 75 mileage will drop. Note, bike computer is way optimistic, I would guess actual at somewhere around 55 aggregate.

Agree that the trip computor is about 3-4mpg optimistic. Tend to get 50-52 on mine on a lot of medium to long day trips with top speed about 75 depending on the road and conditions. Have 2inch plus CB shield full up riding solo

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
If you get to chose just remember what the farm boy said when he was being drafted: "I don't want to be any higher than the corn or deeper than the taters."

Top Bottom