Portable Air Pump - What Do You Use?

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Like most of you, I carry stuff with me to fix a flat while on the road. I also check tire pressures (and oil levels) on Saturday morning.

For the past three years, I've carried a small portable air compressor with me to inflate tires. The little unit is sold by Slime (though I have seen identical units under different names) works great, though I am not positive the pressure readings it gives me are totally accurate.

What other pumps do you folks carry on your bikes? Any reason you bought that particular pump?

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I carry the 12V compressor with gauge made by Slime---available at Auto Zone and Wal Mart

slider

The Harbor Freight one is a pos. It will blow the fuse to every outlet you plug it into and the end will eventually fall off. Absolutely worthless unless you get the one in a million that might work.

docta

I have always been a Slime guy......have never had to use it myself, but have helped several other with flat tires......carry my own plug kit that I renew every year or two.....MCN did a comparison a few years ago and ranked it #1.....babes here at the Retirement Home agree that I am truly a Slime guy......

TW

skiper

Almost choked on my cin bun - Me a Slime Guy Too. When I test it at home the power it 7 minutes / rest 7 has been done ; as stated in slime manual. On the road / emergency with deep fill up I'll probably run it longer / harder . Has anyone run it continuous too long ? Another Cuppa for the Slime Guys out there..

slider

OK buy the HF one. I had two that failed miserably. They need a 15 amp circuit and most are 10 but the problem is they'll blow a 15 too. And we all know ratings are never written by employees or anything...

I've had quite a bit of HF stuff but the air pumps were the worst. Glad 26 people like them and had good luck.

U20417

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
I have one of these also. Filled my air mattress on my 5 week camping trip each night. The integrated pressure gage is 100% accurate. So you don't need a separate tire gauge. The air hose, power cord, and several adapters for filling different things all are enclosed in the pump itself. Its also smaller than the Slime and HF compressors.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
I have the Slime pump too. I purchased it after reading many reviews that highly recommended it.

I have not had to use it yet, thankfully!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've got the one from Aerostitch/Rider Wearhouse. It works. If I were buying now, I'd probably get the Slime.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
That is true of some hand/foot pumps. The bicycle style not so sure. Tried it once. Took about two minutes to add 3lb to a motorcycle tire. :) And it was much bigger than these little ones.

But, I might also try the HF or Airman ones since I have more room now.

YKnot

I picked the Harbor Freight air compressor for my Scion TC last year since we make trips between San Antonio and Northern Colorado regularly (read - drives through West Texas). I have done a couple of dry runs on it to be sure that it worked and that it would fully inflate 2 tires without getting too hot and failing. It will definitely shake its way across the pavement, but it worked without issue otherwise. However, the manual strongly suggests you turn it on before you hook it up to the tire. Doing otherwise will blow a fuse.

Last edited by a moderator:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Eons ago, I bought a Campbell-Hausfield compressor then quickly stripped it of its plastic case. It required making a couple of side plates to hold everything together but chucking the case saved a bunch of space. The new size is roughly 1" x 4" x 2-1/2."

YKnot

To Clarify:

note: turn the Compressor on before connecting to the tire valve to prevent blowing the fuse.
Thank you for clarifying that. I have edited my post to correct my error. I was thinking one thing and typing another... :rolleyes1:

Top Bottom