Possible Saddle Bag Lid SAD Protection Solution!

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I just found a set of "Auto Bumper Protectors" on eBay that may be a good solution to protect the saddle bag lids... I have ordered a set to see if they will work with the NT's Large Pannier Lids...and the OEM ones for that matter...:)

You can see what I ordered here and get yours now, (Are you feeling lucky? :wink: ) or wait until mine come in and I post a Review, with photos, before you blow twenty bucks.

If they aren't too fugly it may be the protection we need for the pannier lids in a SAD situation...

Last edited:
If you could incorporate some retro-reflective matierial into the bumper/rail/protector it would be even better. Add some visibility and protection in SAD case.

Brad

You could get the reflective material from Larry Buck (it is available in bulk IIRC) and make the reflectors. The material is black in day light.

Did you realize that each $20 package contains one each of two different sizes: 15" and 12"? Since I always seem to do a right side drop, I could put the big on the right pannier and the little one on the left. Or two of us could each order a package, flip a coin, and the winner could have the two long strips. It does look like a size that might work.

Did you realize that each $20 package contains one each of two different sizes: 15" and 12"?

Yes, I saw that... Actually, if they don't look too fugly the 12" ones will go on the Wee Strom's hard saddle bags...when they finally get here. I'm positively, absolutely, no doubts at all, sure I will drop it....:rolleyes1:

My question is, how thick are they ?

Don't have a clue...:shrug2: :smile: If I had to guess I'd say maybe a half inch at the crown and less at the edges... But I want a wide relatively thin pad so these might work, I'll know when they show up...:wink:

I do not think any narrow thick pad, like most car body side molding, will be worth a flying flip... I'll bet the weight of the NT "landing" on a narrow thick strip will concentrate the impacts force and most likely result in a nasty crack in the plastic right along the molding...:eek1: That is why I want a more of a "pancake" shape to distribute the impact and to protect more of the area just below the "crease" in the large pannier lids...

As soon as they show up I'll let everyone know if it was worth the $20...at least in my opinion...:smile:

I'll bet it could be found at some of the big parts outfits such as Pep Boys where you could actually get a look at it to see how it would fit.

Not at any of the major parts stores in metro Atlanta such as; Pep Boys, Auto Zone, O'Reillys, NAPA or through the jobber my body shop buddy uses... I know stores stock different items varying by region so please let let me know where and the Part Number if you do... The closest I came locally was the Bumper Corner Protectors Subaru sells as an accessory...they were too narrow for my liking.

Showed Up Already!

The strips showed up in the mail this afternoon! :smile: The long set of strips look very close to the G-14004 version Redbird posted in another thread...

Both sets, the 15.4" and 12.6" sets are included, are two inches wide and about 3/8's to a half inch thick. I say about as this is Made In China :rolleyes1: soft, floppy rubber so it is hard to get an exact measurement at the crown! They are a low gloss black color and came with some really sorry cheap excuse of adhesive tape on the backs...it looks like the double sided clear scotch tape like you would use to wrap a present...:rolleyes: But, I have plenty of real 3M Red Trim tape lying around to reline them with before installing them...now if I can just "borrow" the wife's cutting board...

I will re-tape and install the 15.4" set later this week and post some pictures... IMHO this is not a bad deal at all for the $20... Pictures to follow...

Rub Strip Photos....

Okay,

Here are a couple of pictures of the strips installed and the solution on my Wee I wish we could get... Sorry for the photo quality but it is late, raining, and I just tweaked my knee real good so I am not moving anything around in the garage tonight!

Right Pannier with Rub Striphttp://www.flickr.com/people/wecnwise/

Left Side Pannier with Rub Striphttp://www.flickr.com/people/wecnwise/

And last the Altrider Engine Guards and integrated Slider kit I just installed on the Wee... A slider like this one is what we need someone to produce to protect the lids IMHO...

V-Strom Sliderhttp://www.flickr.com/people/wecnwise/

You're right about something like the AltRider sliders being a better solution, but your strips look pretty good on the NT. Now, when the rain stops, why don't you go out and drop the bike on your driveway to see how they work. :)

Bob,

That location is probably the only place one can be mounted... Since I ride alone I wouldn't care about the rear foot pegs. But I suspect a decent machine shop could mount a peg platform on to the top of the slider rod...

The more pressing concerns to me are will that mounting point be able to:

A. Handle the weight on the NT landing on it? I suspect yes as the rear of the bike weighs a lot less than the front so it isn't handling a lot of the NT's overall weight. But that is pure supposition on my part...

B. Handle the torque force as the NT slides down the road? A good slider puck slides :doh1: but if it catches a road imperfection they can grab hold and flip a bike... or cause a shear off...:eek1:

The last thing I would want is a sheared off foot peg mount and slider going in to a still turning rear wheel.... Now instead of a set of $400 Large Pannier Lids we are talking really serious damage....

Back
Top Bottom