Power to Top Box LEDs?

Bike
2010 NT700v Metallic Red
I have a new top box on its way which has LEDs for both running lights and brakes...do I need to run them from a relay, or will they be fine tied directly into the existing wiring?

I'm thinking that since they are LEDs, they should be fine without an additional relay.

Thoughts?:confused:

Bike
11VStrom650 & 16Tiger800
Bill, my husband and I installed two of the bestem top boxes, both have LEDs, and did not use any relay because of the low current draw. Had one on for over 2 years on my wee strom and the second one just recently installed on my NT and have had zero, zilch, nada problems. Both were wired directly into the running and brake lights. I think you're going to be pretty pleased with the bestem. (I think I'm remembering right that you decided to order the bestem)
Wanda P.

OP
OP
BigBill
Bike
2010 NT700v Metallic Red
Yes, its the Bestem with the included LEDs, excellent deal on a top box.

Thanks for the input!

tawilke46

Yep Bill, I just posi-tap into the existing wiring for a switched 12V source for the running lights and tap into a ground wire. If the LED light also has brake and turn signals, just posi-tap into the appropriate wires. No need for a relay, very low current draw on LED's.
I ordered a Admore LED light kit for my Honda top case. So I will be doing this same exercise this upcoming week.

Bike
11VStrom650 & 16Tiger800
Hi Wanda, I would like to hijack this thread slightly. I have used Bestem on all of my bikes, but wonder will I have to do a lot of drilling/mods to get it fit the NT. What has been you and your husbands experience in this matter .. and anyone else?
Jerome, I found a YouTube video of a top box install and it was filled with great info. Search YouTube with "Honda NT700V Top Box Install". You'll see one by Jim Thomas that's 4 min and 27 sec. Jim doesn't say which Top Box it is but looks just like the Bestem Box with the Bestem mounting plate. We pretty much did like Jim explained in the video. He doesn't go into the install of the lights, though. Hope this will help you as much as it did us. Let me know how you fare. When we connected the lights, after we made sure they were all hooked up right, I soldered all the connections and dremeled a groove at the back of the seat for the wiring. I don't have any connections exposed to the elements and have barrel disconnects on the light wire that's inside the seat area.

Wanda P.

OP
OP
BigBill
Bike
2010 NT700v Metallic Red
Yep Bill, I just posi-tap into the existing wiring for a switched 12V source for the running lights and tap into a ground wire. If the LED light also has brake and turn signals, just posi-tap into the appropriate wires. No need for a relay, very low current draw on LED's.
I ordered a Admore LED light kit for my Honda top case. So I will be doing this same exercise this upcoming week.
I just found a posi-tap assortment kit on Amazon and ordered it, also after much searching for an appropriate plug/connector for this, I decided to go with a simple P/S2 mouse/keyboard extension cable that has male and female ends...just cut it and splice it in. :)

Jerome, I found a YouTube video of a top box install and it was filled with great info. Search YouTube with "Honda NT700V Top Box Install". You'll see one by Jim Thomas that's 4 min and 27 sec. Jim doesn't say which Top Box it is but looks just like the Bestem Box with the Bestem mounting plate. We pretty much did like Jim explained in the video. He doesn't go into the install of the lights, though. Hope this will help you as much as it did us. Let me know how you fare. When we connected the lights, after we made sure they were all hooked up right, I soldered all the connections and dremeled a groove at the back of the seat for the wiring. I don't have any connections exposed to the elements and have barrel disconnects on the light wire that's inside the seat area.

Wanda P.
I also followed the video, but was not happy with the results I got, it was flimsy and I feel would ultimately damage the bike or box so I went back to the drawing board...

After looking at a few options, most no better, I decided the best way would be to simply order the Hondaline base and hardware for the OEM box and just substitute the Bestem base for the Honda.
Also, the Honda base plate can be used as a template to properly drill the needed holes in the Bestem (or any other for that matter) and get it exactly right on the first try.

I'll post pics, maybe even a video, once I'm done. :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigBill
Bike
2010 NT700v Metallic Red
UPDATE... I just found that Bestem offers a wiring harness just for this box, will likely use that since the plug is waterproof.

MichaelTravis

Hi Tim, I'm putting in "3-Way Hyper-Lite on my new to me NT700v. Do you remember where and what color wire you found for your "Switched 12V source"? I don't have a Service Manual as yet. Thanks for any help. Michael Travis, New to NT700v.

HAT

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Have had the Bestem topcase with LEDs installed for a little over a year now. Very happy with it. Tapped the tail and brake light wiring to the rear of the seat - the LEDs will not add too much of a load. I did use the Bestem wiring harness because it made the job easy, nice and clean, and makes it easy to remove and remount the topcase (although I rarely remove it).

Found this to be very helpful for mounting the box (found in the forum from a couple of years ago):

Quote Originally Posted by suvcw04 View Post

Ebay has two NT top boxes for $534.95 each. GIVI will also take half a thousand dollars, if you are so inclined. Me? I'm cheap. Five years ago, I bought a top box from JC Whitney for $79.95 for my 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 500. The mount is INCLUDED in that price. I kept the box when I bought the NT.
Click on this link to see how it fits on the NT:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1024665...CLqHtfHD2a_HKA

If you click on the leftmost picture it will enlarge. Put your mouse on the space to the left or right of each pic and a grey arrow will take you to the next picture.

If you enter 61304-165-013 in google, you will find numerous sources for the square nuts that fit under the passenger grab handles. I got two of them from a Honda BOAT parts website. Cost around $5. The four 8mm by 65mm bolts (I think 55mm bolts would also work) and the four bushings came from my local Ace Hardware. $10 for the lot. You just have to remove the two bolts (and their bushings) and two phillips screws from the tail cover, drill two holes in the plastic tail cover, remove the grab handles and put the square nuts in (TAPE THEM IN PLACE!!!!!) (Check other posts on the forum about this.) Remove the bushings for the two bolts that hold the tail piece on. The hardware store bushings are a PERFECT fit in the grab handle holes. The 65 mm bolts replace the stock bolts in the bolts and screw into the two new square bolts in front. Just put the new longer bushings in, put a washer on top of them, put the box mount plate on and screw in the 65mm bolts. Could it be any easier? Total cost, $95 for the box and hardware.

OR, you could lay out over $500+ for a GIVI (guess that weird name is worth the extra $400) or a Genuine Hondaline box.

Comments welcomed.

I think you'll be happy with the topcase . . . at least I am with mine.
Harold

HAT

Bike
2010 Red NT700
:shrug2:
Sorry folks; missed the boat on that one! Need to watch the thread dates more closely.
Duh!

Top Bottom