Powerlet for a novice

Bike
2010 Red NT700
OK
I can turn wrenches, drive nails, cook wash clothes, even paint a little. But I am scared to death to tackle anything electrical. Always have been. I hate electrical gremlins and couldnt bare it if I was the cause of one on a perfectly good bike. Also scared of this tupperware.
Having said that, I need to install a powerpoint for phone charging etc. I would like to do the least invasive install I can manage. If I can avoid dealing with tupperware altogether, thats even better.

My first thought was to go with a fused connection direct to the battery and have an outlet lay loose or velcroed to somewhere under the seat.
I also like the idea of going into a pannier, but that would mean cutting on my bike...unless I just drill a small hole and have the outlet loose in the pannier

Somebody help me!!!
And remember, I know/understand absolutely NOTHING about electrical B.S., so if you chime in, please dumb it down for me
Clay

slider

This will be great. I've spent all I'm gonna spend but I can sneak a little thing like this through the budget. Is there no power outlet at all from the factory?

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Clay,

A good starting point if you want to learn about wiring, and be comfortable doing it, is the book Reviewed Here. There is a lot of good advice in This Thread as well.

Using a fused connection straight to the battery will work fine, as long as you remember it is always ON, and it can kill your battery. Having the the connector rolling around under the seat risks breaking it or causing a short circuit. It is also darn awkward to use while riding. Drilling a hole through the top of the pannier and installing it inside is the most elegant solution. If you look around elizilla, aka Katherine, has a post, with pictures, showing how she did it and how she ran the wiring. For easier access some folks have installed a power point inside one of the "glove" boxes.

Or for totally avoiding tupperware dalliances get one of MCL's Handlebar Clamps with the built in Powerpoint and just run the wires to the battery...

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Another way to do it is get a Wire harnes eithter for running Bttery tender , or gebing heated etc. connect it from your batery terminals along the frame undre seat and let it come out in frnt of you,>It si possible to feed it into a tankbag and then splice off inside thje bg to the various things you want power for, I ran about 100,0000 miles on my wing in that manne and it worked well. One wire to feed acessories , and later I added another similar set up for direct to the gerbing controler so it was on a separate fues system . The wiring conections for the bater tedner etc come with a fuse block already on them. I am running tha way withthe NT as well although I do have power wired into a powerlet on the risor from Heli bars.

Eldon

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
I like the idea of going thru the top of the left pannier. Have the outlet flush mouhted to the roof of the pannier and let the phone rest on top of my Bestem Bag. It looks like you can drill the correct size hole into the front/ top of the pannier by simply removing the seat. Then all I have to do is run my wires and secure the housing for the fuse. Thats the direction I am leaning at this early juncture. Where do I buy an inexpensive outlet/kit?

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Where do I buy an inexpensive outlet/kit?
Any Marine / "Boat" store can sell you a "12VDC Cigarette Lighter" unit that will be more durable than a "car" version from Pep Boys or whoever. Go on eBay and do a search for "marine cigarette lighter" for some examples and sellers...

EDIT: You can also search eBay for "motorcycle cigarette lighter" and find some good ones...

Last edited:
Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Having said that, I need to install a powerpoint for phone charging etc.
If your "...etc" doesn't include heated gear, and will only be used for charging a phone, consider a Burnsmoto USB power supply. I use one to charge my phone and run my GPS. You could locate in a pannier, on the handlebars, or leave it under the seat, or.......where ever. It has a built in fuse. You could order it with a SAE connector, buy a second SAE connector to connect to your battery, plug it in.....and your charging your phone cheap. And you can use it for your next Motorcycle. I've heard some phones don't charge with a USB charger, so if your phone is one of those you are out of luck.

Although I dont have one, this USB Charger from Burnsmoto looks very simple to use. Again need a SAE connector from your battery, then plug this thing into the SAE connecter, run your USB to Mini/Micro USB cord to your phone and ....presto, charging.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Burnsmoto USB power supply. I use one to charge my phone and run my GPS. You could locate in a pannier, on the handlebars, or leave it under the seat, or.......where ever. It has a built in fuse. You could order it with a SAE connector, buy a second SAE connector to connect to your battery, plug it in.....and your charging your phone cheap.
I think we're getting somewhere now. My Slime compressor came with an SAE connector, so if I rig that to the battery, I can use that for my compressor, a battery tender and to charge my phone. (iphone)
And the best part is I only have to drill a hole small enough to pass the wire thru to the inside of the pannier! And I can leave the wire long enough to stow the phone in the side compartment of my Bestem Bag while riding.
I think I may have a plan!

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I've installed 2 powerlets on mine. One is the MCL clamp and this is only hot when the bike is turned on. The other is on the lower right panel near the rear brake master cylinder/reservoir. This is always hot. Both are tapped off a fuzeblock fz-1. The first has been used to power my GPS (more on that later). The second is used for either a battery tender hookup or to power my slime compressor (when that comes to be necessary). To accomplish this I built a powerlet-SAE adapter, used for one or the other.

About SAE plugs: Pay attention to polarity. If you have a slime or a battery-tender or whatever, they are all built to the same polarity - namely that the side of the plug that is connected to the bike power (be it battery or accessory) has the male (exposed) connector connected to ground. That way, when the plug happens to get dropped against the frame, nothing happens. I mention this in the case you manually build sich a connection for whatever reason and because you do say you're a novice.

Now, about the MCL powerlet. I have just built a separate SAE-connector-based pair of leads dedicated to my GPS and do not routinely use the MCL powerlet for anything. The reason is that the powerlet in this vertical position seems to invite corrosion between the male and female portion with the cover open all the time. But also in cold weather the leads supplied with it get very stiff. I found that as one rotates the bars for various steering purposes the leads can produce a side load on something in there and cause the power to cut off and on. This produced an annoying tendency in the GPS to intermittently whine that it has lost power and do I want it to stay on or to wind up even staying on its own battery power. I'll probably just build an alternative set of leads that won't give me this problem.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
About SAE plugs: Pay attention to polarity. If you have a slime or a battery-tender or whatever, they are all built to the same polarity - namely that the side of the plug that is connected to the bike power (be it battery or accessory) has the male (exposed) connector connected to ground. That way, when the plug happens to get dropped against the frame, nothing happens. I mention this in the case you manually build sich a connection for whatever reason and because you do say you're a novice.
For you electrical novices out there, that is also why you always disconnect the ground lead of the battery first. Then if you accidentally short anything on the hot side to ground, nothing bad (from arcs and sparks to burnt wiring, flames, and a blown battery) will happen.

For that matter, if you are going anything more complicated than change a light bulb, always disconnect the battery first. I know, it sounds like common sense, but you would be surprised: "This circuit is dead when the ignition switch is off, so I will just be very careful ..."

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I think we're getting somewhere now. My Slime compressor came with an SAE connector, so if I rig that to the battery, I can use that for my compressor, a battery tender and to charge my phone. (iphone)
And the best part is I only have to drill a hole small enough to pass the wire thru to the inside of the pannier! And I can leave the wire long enough to stow the phone in the side compartment of my Bestem Bag while riding.
I think I may have a plan!
That is a good approach. Follow mfg (Slime) instructions on polarity of the connectors. Make sure there is an inline fuse. After you run the line into the pannier and have it set up the way you want, then apply some RTV generously around the wire where it enters/exits the pannnier. That will both protect the wires from chafing as well as sealing out any errant dirt or moisture.

I have a triple cig lighter in the left side pannier wired the same way. I charge my tablet and my aux phone battery while riding during the day. But, I also charge my phone during the day with a cig lighter outlet in the right side glovebox. :)

Bike
Here is one negative aout puting ph inside pannier/ saddle bag, IF you shuld have the bag latch failior and need your phone HOW are you going to get it, or IF - - - - happens and you are separated from y our bike and need your phone you are SOL if it is in trunk , saddle bagh etc, example should you be a little ways from your bike and all of a sudden you see it departing and going down the road and your phone is in pannier bag it is not going to do y ou any good!

Eldon

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Most of those apply when I mount mine on the handlebar. The solution? Bluetooth helmet.

Alternative solution? Use one of those aux batteries for the phone. Put your phone in your pocket and charge the battery during the day.

If I have a latch failure I would be losing more than just the phone. My laptop or tablet are usually in the side case as well as other valuable items. If you're that worried about a latch failure then install backup latches. In 25000 miles of riding I never had a latch fail, even when I stuffed them to overflowing and had to push the lid shut with my legs.

A drawback to keeping the phone in a pocket or on your belt. In an accident it will be in a prime position to be smashed to bits. So, you'd be hurt by the side of the road without a phone.

There are no 100% solutions here.

Bike
I agree on no 100% soulution, regarding the latch problems Rick posted a very good artical on his erly experience that I printed out and took to my tech guys about the gease and grit mix . I was having minor problems especially when straping down cargo . Teh shop did amajor clean up on the latch system whenit was in for scond major srevice and I have been trouble free since turning 23,ooo in justy under a year of ownership. each bike has it's own personallity & can have a wide varience from one serial # to thnext.

Eldon

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
My latches were OK on the small lids. I couldn't get that much stuff in there :) When I got the larger lids it worried me about putting too much stuff in them. So, I installed extra external latches. that way I know they won't come open on the road. So now I can put my laptop in the side case and know it won't be left on the highway somewhere ;)

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Thanks. And they are easy to use as well. And other varieties are available, as well as a locking type (or one you can add a padlock to) in case your factory ones become completely unusable.

Top Bottom