PR4 Disappiontment...

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Glad to hear that you're having a good experience. Do you remember when you bought these?

Bike
2011 NT700VA
Glad to hear that Chris! I put one on the rear right before the thread started about them wearing out fast. When it was time to replace the front, I ended up putting on a Pirelli Angel GT. Liking it so far, but just a couple of months of daily use so far. Looks like my bike is a clone of yours!
Best,

Last edited:

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I have PR-4 GT tires front and back. The back tire is marked 150/170 x 17. I only have 5000+ miles on the tires because I have not ridden much this summer. I suspect there is a difference between the PR-4 and PR-4GT. At 5000 miles my tires show little signs of wear.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
I suspect there is a difference between the PR-4 and PR-4GT
The GT have a stiffer sidewall as they're designed for much heavy heavy bikes. According to Michelin we shouldn't use the GT on the NT as it is too stiff and makes for a hasher ride...

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
John, I have not noticed much difference between the PR-3 and PR-4GTin terms of ride. The NT is my first bike with radial tyres. The Ninja had bias ply Dunlops and my 1981 Yamaha XS-650 has bias ply Dunlop tyrees as well. The Yamaha has a very harsh ride and is used to ride around town.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
And they will probably last longer which isn't a good thing from Michelin's point of view!
It may be, as Alex said, a point well-made, but it backfires if very many people are like me decide to buy a different brand of tire after seeing their tires wear out in just a bit over half the miles the previous two or three sets had lasted. It doesn't work to tell me that varying road conditions and driving styles make it "impossible" to predict how long a tire will last.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
I suspect, like many here I suppose, that Michelin did in fact change something in the later PR4 tyres. It may be that they changed the country of manufacture which caused the change to occur.

Until Michelin get enough people making formal (written complaints) they will probably just spin the line about tyre wear not being predictable.

Personally I was considering buying PR4's but there is now no chance that I will even consider these tyres. I am now considering the BT30 or maybe Pirelli's

Seagrass

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
It doesn't work to tell me that varying road conditions and driving styles make it "impossible" to predict how long a tire will last.
Phil, I think the real reason is they just don't care. You and I will take our business elsewhere and they will never miss us. They had a problem with some tires and refuse to admit it (to us anyway). But what I really didn't like is the non-answer given. But at least you got the non-answer. All they ever told me is that they would respond in a few days. And when I reminded them a month later that they failed to "respond in a few days" they ignored me altogether. They might be better at ignoring me than my wife is. There are other tires out there and I will buy them instead of Michelin.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
From what I have read on this thread, it looks like the problem is Michelin. They either made a batch that got by quality control, or they made a change in the compound, or the country of manufacture had changed. When my tyres wear out, I'll probably give the Shinko line a close look. My PR-3s were fine. My current PR-4GTs are ok now--but at 5000 miles, it is too early to form an opinion.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I like the Shinko's I use, BUT, they are only good for 8k mi at most. These are the bias ply so not sure if the radials will wear faster or not. I use them cause my choices are limited and the Shinko gives best value per mile while still being as grippy as the BT-45's.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
When my tyres wear out, I'll probably give the Shinko line a close look.
Which Shinkos are you thinking about, Alex? I had a Concours buddy who was very pleased with them on his Connie. He said he got good mileage and great traction. Don't know which one he used and have lost contact with him over the years, so can't check with him.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
My friend is running Shinkos on his Tiger and likes them. He admits they don't perform like a premium tire, but he doesn't push the limits of his tires that much. Most of us don't really push the limits of our tires, but find peace-of-mind know that we have a cushion of safety if we need it. The Shinkos only cost about a third of what the PR4s cost.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I tried the Tourmaster and 712 and like the 712 better for mine. The Tonti frame Guzzis tend to favor bias ply tires. And at $80 ea I don't care if they only last 8k miles. It also persuaded me to start mounting my own tires. Takes about 30 min start to finish. 3 spoons, C-clamp and ratchet strap.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Not sure which ones I get. It's probably a long way off. I tend to take the advice of Micah Fenwick who owns Belmont Performance Cycles. He is a pro racer--speed trials (217.6MPH on a Kawa 1000) He also runs a AA Fuel Drag Bike. I suspect he knows a lot about tyres.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
It also persuaded me to start mounting my own tires.
And that is when you will quickly notice which tires have the stiffest casings.

Thirty minutes start to finish is a good time Charlie. If that is for two wheels you can be on my pit crew. It takes that long just to remove the rear wheel from the NT. And for alloy rims you will want the rim protectors in addition to the spoons. Balancing takes time and a balancer too, and then it becomes "how fussy do you want to be".

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Nope, that is for one tire. I only do one at a time as they wear at such different rates. I did do one in 15 min one time (dismounted from the bike). Then I discovered it was on backwards :( Took another hour to get it off and put it back on :)

I don't use rim protectors. Mine are dinged up anyway just from being 30 yrs old. :)

Balancing is simple. Use the axle or any other bar. Put the bar on two blocks. Let the tire settle and put some weight on the other side. Takes very little these days. Several times I have not put any weights on the wheel and it balances fine. But, I don't spend a lot of time at over 100mph either. :)

And, yes, one of these days I will get one of the HF tire changers.

Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
[QUOTE

Balancing is simple. Use the axle or any other bar. Put the bar on two blocks. Let the tire settle and put some weight on the other side. [/QUOTE]

Same method that I use. One end of axle on work bench other end on work bench stool, been doing that way for years.

Tourguy

My Battlax020 on the rear is squared quite a bit at just a bit over 8500mi without yet worn to the bars, so will replace before my next multi-day trip. Although i appreciate comments made on this thread, I've decided to put a PR4 on the rear and see what kind of luck i might have. Not that I'm convinced it will give high mileage . . . i read reviews and checked ratings at Revzilla and Bike Bandit . . . watched their video reviews, all saying this is a great tire. Part of my decision was based on a sense of respect toward Michelin due to a recent experience with a set of truck tires that were found to be cracking [sidewall]. Counter staff at Discount Tire called Michelin and got me a full set of new Michelins by rebating about 95% of the original tire cost even though those tires were a few months out of warrantee. [Wear on the tread was minimal due low mileage/low usage.] If this new tire doesn't hold up well i will try something else next time.

Top Bottom