Pray for me!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I don't know why I do this...but all too often maintenance I could probably forego gets postponed until too close to a major trip. So, here I am, a week and six hours before the BBG/Ride-to-Spearfish and yesterday I decided to replace the switch for my Denalis that got smashed in the hail storm and to also replace my Kisan Chargeguard which lost the temperature gauge when I rode through deep water on the way home after the hail storm. Kisan has changed the way they hook stuff up and so I ended up taking off way too much plastic getting the Chargeguard wired in. I've lost one fastener down a black hole at the front of the bike and haven't gotten it all too far back together yet.

I spent about five hours in my 100+F garage yesterday afternoon and I'm not really too worried about getting it done, but I've got a huge funeral Thursday, today is Joanne's birthday, we're going to spend Saturday with her daughter and husband and our granddaughter and great-grandson. Plus I probably ought to get some work-related stuff done before I take a week off and I guess I'd better do some bill-paying.

Procrastination has its price.

But as the saying goes, "There are no amateurs in this business. We are PROcrastinators."

Oh, and I'm not very likely to get the scraped-up big pannier lids repainted before Spearfish, so I'll look like the doofus I am when I pull in among all the super-cool NT/ST riders who don't have a scratch on their bikes. :-(

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Hook up the lights and forget about the rest... extra lights are what I'd consider necessary... a voltmeter not so much.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I bet Mellow has been packed up for at least a week!
You know it...

I just have to charge everything that needs to be charged and pack that the cinch down the straps and go.. I'm ready now... LOL

ps... I am waiting on the banner, just not sure it will get here before I head out.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Phil, keep your eyes up and focus on the big picture. We all get a bit anxious before a trip.

Me, today, I'm knee deep in my first valve adjust (@ 1200 miles not 600). It is a bit of a learning experience getting into the tappets on this "new to me" machine. I'm catching onto where all the tabs and slots are - slowly. It took about 3 hours just to expose the tappets. Also I promised to get a carpentry job (which I never should have taken) done before leaving on this trip so I'll be working through the 4th and the weekend to complete that. Plus I'm sure there will be a few "honey dos" that I don't know about yet for my wife.

See you in Spearfish

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
Domini domini hocus pocus....oh, wrong outfit...? :tongue: Well anyway, hope you get it all sorted out.

LL75 :wink:

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I am so grateful for all the supportive sympathy. Mellow, I've got both the lights and the voltmeter/thermometer hooked up. What I need to do is get the plastic all back on the bike. I'll maybe get it done tomorrow. Then I can work on the funeral tomorrow night or Thursday morning. After all, the funeral isn't until 10:30.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Oh, and I'm not very likely to get the scraped-up big pannier lids repainted before Spearfish, so I'll look like the doofus I am when I pull in among all the super-cool NT/ST riders who don't have a scratch on their bikes.
Easy fix...Just wrap them in tin foil and claim you went through Area 51 on your way to Spearfish....

Nicole

Yeah I am a procastinator too! My tires are getting changed July 5th. I am leaving July 10th .... and I still have not located my tank bag.

Madmax

Not everyone can do what I would do. I'd just ride another bike...

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Hey Phil,

"they that wait upon the Lord will renew their strength"

I will pray for you and you may need to spend some time "waiting" too :pray1:

Husker

Bike
Red 2010 NT700V
I hope you get it all done. Maybe I'll make it. Been out of work and just started a new job. Hate to ask for a day off with only a few weeks of employment. Its a hard day from Omaha to Spearfish. We'll see.

tawilke46

Hey, Phil. Don't worry, be happy!
Everything will work out fine. Things have a way of getting done, even if it is at the last moment.

Since I retired, my new mantra is "Don't do today what you can put off until tomorrow"
Works for me!

elizilla

Never put off until tomorrow, what you can do today, because if you enjoy it today, you can do it again tomorrow...

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Never put off until tomorrow, what you can do today, because if you enjoy it today, you can do it again tomorrow...
Ah, Sister Grasshopper, you are so very, very wise.

I'm not.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Never! I've always got it and ibuprofen with me.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Good luck, Phil! I am too senile to procrastinate....I have been packed for about a month.
I have daily checklists, weekly checklists, monthly checklists, trip checklists. I have a calander on the wall with every
day of the year with all doc appts, vacations, etc. I am unpacking from my Oregon trip and I am packing for a major two week trip
to Oshkosh three days after I get home from Spearfish right now...my living room looks like someone threw a hand grenade into a camping store.
BTW, the Immodium goes in the drug bag, the shaving kit bag, and in a secondary daily drug bag in the
Port Pannier.....and some in your watch pocket of your jeans...when you need it, you gotta have it NOW!!!!! The ennema plastic bottle can go anywhere....:rofl1:
You will be fine. Just dont mix up the funeral service notes with the NT plastic assembly notes.....
(Best services I ever went to had quite a bit of humor....it was a celebration of a humerous guy....)
Hang in there....dont sweat the small stuff...its all small stuff....
See you soon,
Chris self medicating on frozen margarettas

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
"Whew!" he says, as he breathes a mighty sigh of relief. I've got Wee-Strom-riding friend who is a real mechanic. I gave up and called him at about 7:30 and begged for help. He's got a cool, analytical mind, and wasn't caught up in anxiety about sitting here in Fort Morgan while everyone else gathered in Spearfish. He came over within about an hour we had the bike screwed back together.

If it were up to me, I'd be willing to have visible screws to replace tabs and 57 different kinds of fastener.

At any rate, my prayers have been answered. I'm going to go take a shower and go to bed. I'll pack in the morning, take another nap, check the tires and light the fires as I head out on my Bun Burner Gold attempt at around 4PM tomorrow afternoon.

16 hours and counting!

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
if you stopped reading these forums for a couple days you would probably save a bunch of time too :D

Top Bottom