Probably my last February ride... for 2020, I mean.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
It finally got warm enough to entice me out of my house (which is warm now after a furnace replacement last Sunday, which followed a hot water heater replacement about two weeks before that). I wasn't sure how the roads in the mountains would be or how hard the winds would be blowing up that way, so I went back to what's become a default ride. Northeast of Greeley toward the Pawnee National Grasslands. I went east on US-34 past "Cows-R-Us," a huge feed-lot just east of the little town of Kersey, and then turned north, crossed the South Platte River and followed it back west a ways. Then, northeast to Briggsdale, a little community on CO-14, east of Ft. Collins. North from there until I turned east towards Grover. I hadn't gone far when I got to a detour, which took me several miles on gravel, before skirting Grover and then heading north until turning back to the west and the practically non-existent town of Hereford, CO. From there, it's just a few miles to Wyoming, where ( surprise! ) the wind was blowing. I went south of Carpenter, WY, and followed Campstool Road into Cheyenne. Then south on US-85 to Pierce, and county roads home to Greeley.

I took my camera thinking I might get some wildlife pictures, but the only thing I saw was one herd of pronghorns in a location where there was no place to stop the bike safely. So just take my word for it -- they were beautiful, a mixed herd of bucks and does, no little ones yet. Some of the males had good-sized horns which they'll lose and regrow every year. The babies will arrive in late May. The bucks and does will separate by the end of this month and stay away from each other until the end of summer when they begin "connecting" to start a 7-month gestation period.

BTW, if you click on the "tags" on the Spotwalla map I've attached, you can see how fast (or not) I was going at the time. I like to look at the maps in either the "Satellite" or "Hybrid" modes. You can zoom in close and see amazing detail in the satellite mode.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I will probably do my last ride in Feb today. Sunny and upper fifties. Traveller gets a new battery today in prep for summer. The batt that's in there now is four years old so I figger why take a chance on batt failure during my long rides.

Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I will probably do my last ride in Feb today. Sunny and upper fifties. Traveller gets a new battery today in prep for summer. The batt that's in there now is four years old so I figger why take a chance on batt failure during my long rides.

Mike
Smart man - It is a lot easier to change batteries in you shop than to find and replace one somewhere in some National Forest.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Yesterday, Chris and I rode to the Harvester Restaurant in Spangle, WA (wheat country small town) for lunch. Chris was exercising the FJR and I rode the NT. It was a beautiful day above 60 degrees. The NT ran great. It is really early in the season for me.
I also stored the snow blower, snow shovels, scoops ... so when the blizzard that hits the Pacific NW in March is my fault for challenging Mom Nature. :)

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Frosty, you've got more courage than I'd have! Both for storing all your snow removal equipment this early AND for being brave enough to shoulder all the blame that will come with the 37" of snow!

Bike
2010 NT700V
Mid 30's today, and a bit windy. Full heated gear though, nice and comfy

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Frosty - you are a real optimist!

I had to run some errands this morning and it looked beautiful outside with very little snow on the road but the ambient temp gauge in my car said it was 21 outside. :-( Amazingly, it will be in the mid-50s tomorrow so I've planned a ride with some pals.

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Fired up my old Yammy ('78 XS650) and went for about a 50 mile putt yesterday. My first long ride since rebuilding the forks and putting new shocks on the rear. The old feller handles much better but still doesn't seem as "planted" as the NT so the first 15 to 20 miles is a learning curve getting used to the different handling characteristics. About 12 miles into the ride though, I cussed the mechanic (me) who rebuilt the forks... my speedo quit! When I got home I checked into the problem and found that the dumb jerk didn't screw the speedo cable in all the way and it vibrated loose. The old fart probably turned the nut on a thread or two and got distracted by something else and forgot about the cable. That prompted be to get some wrenches and recheck everything else for tightness..... <sigh>…. you just can't get good help these days.....

😖

Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I cussed the mechanic (me) who rebuilt the forks... my speedo quit! When I got home I checked into the problem and found that the dumb jerk didn't screw the speedo cable in all the way and it vibrated loose. The old fart probably turned the nut on a thread or two and got distracted by something else and forgot about the cable. That prompted be to get some wrenches and recheck everything else for tightness..... <sigh>…. you just can't get good help these days.....
Hey, I know that mechanic too.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Did my first and last Feb ride on my Big Versys SE Saturday. No pictures for that ride. How ever did my first ride on my New to e V-Strom earlier in the week, running errands around town. Did get a couple of pictures for that.

SAM_5046.JPGSAM_5047.JPGSAM_5051.JPG

Top Bottom