Problem with the Schuberth C3 Helmet?

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
I think I've found a problem with the Schuberth C3 Helmet and wonder if any other C3 owners are having a similar problem.

I am getting a lot of dust and grit in my eyes from the air pollution. The airflow inside the C3 takes the air right past your eyes so your eyes will trap more particles. During periods of High Pressure weather, I notice that my eyes are really gritty. During Low Pressure weather my eyes are OK.

I'm not getting as much of a problem when I use my Nolan N103 so they must route the air slightly differently.

Thoughts and observations please.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Wish I could help you John, but I'm too damned cheap to buy a Schuberth.

:wink:

Mike

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I would think for the price of one of those helmets, there would be a filter to clear the dust as it enters the helmet. I am too cheap, I usually till end of season in the north to find a helmet. At over 6 hundred I just can not pull that card out of my wallet to by one. Okay if you have a $50 head by a $50 helmet, I guess I got about a $300 dollar head.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
John,

I think it is mostly related to how you have your windshield se up, with the HD Ultra Classic it is fine when looking through the /shield, with the NT and its Cee Baily +4 and the fjr has the Yamaha touring windshields in the high position everything is fine. As I drop the windshields to a lower position the air movement is more noticeable,

With the CRF 250 with its stationary wind shield it is not a issue as that bike doesn't provide much more than bug deflection but the air blast is hitting me directly.

Eldon

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
John, I haven't noticed any problem with my $300/apiece eyes.

OP
OP
JQL

JQL

Bike
I'm going to try a few things to see if I can come up with a definitive answer.

Watch this space... or not :)

OP
OP
JQL

JQL

Bike
OK, been experimenting...

I think it's my specs. I've been using my old glasses for the last couple of days while on the bike and I'm having much less of a problem.

So my specs, although slightly bigger than my old specs, must be funnelling more air over my eyes. I do notice a difference in the airflow.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Good point. I also find that different glasses can cause issues with helmets and air flow.

Bike
WR250R/KTM 890/KTM690
I ordered one of these from Revzilla. I tried it on and sent it back. It was the correct size but all the padding made it too snug for me. I would sweat too much in the summer during periods of low air flow.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I think some bikes "suck" a lot of grit up from the road through the head tube area and then depending on what goes on behind the windshield it potentially goes into the riders helmet. My Versys was bad for this. You could actually see the grit coming up and find it deposited on the tank.

Are you sure the grit is coming from the ambient air or being sucked up from the road?

I tried a C3 and it just didn't fit.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Okay if you have a $50 head by a $50 helmet, I guess I got about a $300 dollar head
Mairhaead this isnt directed at you; its for those people who say that thing above...

I'm not trying to start anything, but I hate that phrase; If a helmet is DOT or Snell or whatever approved.. It meets the same specs and requirements at $50 as the $500 helmet!

My $135 HJC is Snell approved, so is someone going to try to argue its less safe than the $300 HJC that is only DOT approved?
It is extremely wrong an snobby to go by the belief that only dollars can buy safety and if you don't spend big money on your lid then you don't care about your head

OP
OP
JQL

JQL

Bike
When you buy a helmet price shouldn't be a major factor and probably shouldn't factor at all.

My criteria, in order, are:
  1. Type Modular, Full face or open face
  2. Comfort
  3. Sharp Approval rating
  4. Spectacles
  5. Anti-scratch & Sun visor
  6. BlueTooth
  7. Governmental approval ratings (DOT, CE etc.)
  8. Price
Type Modular, Full face or open face
What suits your riding requirements best

Comfort
You're going to be wearing the helmet for a long time in all types of weathers from 100 degree heat, to frog stranglers, to snow and ice et al. If it isn't comfortable, waterproof etc., it's a waste of money.

Sharp Approval rating
How well does it perform in crash testing? I won't go under a 3 star rating and will think twice before buying a 3 star.

Spectacles
Are they spectacle friendly when taking it on or off? Can you remove and replace your glasses with the helmet on? Does the helmet interfere with the glasses in normal use? etc.

Anti-scratch & Sun visor
Nice to have but not essential. I lived with Scratchable visors for a long time before anti-scratch was invented. I can always wear sun glasses if necessary (though on my current commute I go through a series of tunnels so a retractable sun visor became an essential requirement for me).

BlueTooth
How easily can BlueTooth be added to the helmet? It's nice to have GPS instructions piped through to your helmet when in traffic and you can't take your eyes off the idiots around you! Some may want tunes and the dreaded mobile phone as well:mad:

Government Approval rating
Is it legal for your country. This has very little, if nothing, to do with the crash testing. For example the Fusion Tranz gets only a 1 star rating but is UN ECE REG 22.05 Approved.

Price
If it's way too expensive then I'll go for a 2nd choice but very rarely and only if comfort isn't compromised.

One of the cheaper helmets available in Europe is the Caberg Trip. It has a 5 Star Sharps Approval Rating, a UN ECE REG 22.05 (CE approval rating) and is only ?90 (about $120). So you don't have to buy expensive to get the best protection but is it comfortable for you?

Finally, it's your head, you choose.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
My $135 HJC is Snell approved, so is someone going to try to argue its less safe than the $300 HJC that is only DOT approved?
LOL, David! That's actually what Motorcyclist magazine argued a few years ago. They contended that the Snell standard (at least the one that was in effect then -- I think Snell may have revised their standard) didn't do enough impact absorption. They said that the threshold for brain injury was 300g impact and that the Snell standard exceeded that.

Like I say, I think Snell revised their standard. Seems like that was back in about 2005 or so.

Top Bottom