Problem with winter battery removal ?

Mr. Mike

I would like to remove the battery form the bike for winter storage as I do not have a heated garage. Will this cause and problems with the bikes electric "brain" when battery is replaced in the spring? (Other than reset the clock.) I am a little worried about it forgetting how to run, idle, etc. (Electrics are voodoo!)

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I do not have heated bike storage, I use a battery tender to keep batteries in good condition. I also use one on mower and Kubota to keep batteries charged.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Not a problem. I always remove my battery and store it in a warm place. I place it on a piece of wood or cardboard and charge it up once a month during the winter. All you'll have to do in the spring is put it back in the bike and re-set the clock. My biggest problem is remembering how go re-set the clock.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
While there is a Vampire load built in to having a trickle charger plugged in, the cost of new batteries today seems far higher to me. Find they last a lot longer if I keep them hooked up off season.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I hook my bike up whenever I am not riding it. Mine was hooked up all last winter, this summer, and again this winter. Hopefully I'll be able to ride this spring.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I have an attached garage but it's not heated. My bikes live on the charger when they're not being ridden and I have only one charger but with a long cord so I switch from bike-to-bike when the indicator on the charger shows that battery is up to snuff. Over the winter with white stuff on the ground, I make it a point to roll the bikes out of the garage, start their engines, and let them run for 15-20 minutes. And I do that about once a month and crazy as it sounds, I also do that with my mowers to ensure they will start come spring. :)

Top Bottom