Product Review: Shoei Neotec 2 vs Klim TK1200 with References to the Schuberth C3

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've been wearing modular helmets since about 2001. I've had HJC, Nolans, and Schuberths. My previous helmet has been a Schuberth C3 and I've liked it -- except for one annoying thing. The top of the eye-port is too low, just barely above the top of my glasses. The Pinlock insert fits about 1/4 - 3/8" below the top the face shield and I often end up with the top of the Pinlock lining up with the middle of the distance focal of my tri-focals. I decided to try something else mainly because I saw a Klim carbon TK1200 modular on closeout from motorcyclegear.com for only $299.
When the Klim came, I was greatly impressed with the way it looked and with its very light weight. But then I tried to put the danged thing on! *&#%!! It was incredibly tight at the bottom. As hard as I tried to spread it, I couldn't get it on without pushing my glasses all cattywampus on my head. And it tore my ears up, going on and coming off. I will say that once it was on, it was fairly comfortable, but after putting it on and taking it off maybe 5 or 6 times, my earlobes were swollen and terribly sore. I seriously wondered if they'd ever go back to normal. Motorcyclegear.com was great about the return (and by then, I was hooked on the idea of a new helmet, so they came out just fine).

The only other options for a top-end helmet seemed to be AVG and Shoei. The AVG looked interesting, but even though I'm incredibly wealthy, I couldn't quite go the $749 - $800 that they ran. So, Shoei, it was. And only $699!!

When it got hear, I was impressed with the appearance and the quality that it seemed to exude. Then I put it on and it went on very easily (maybe not quite so easily as my Schuberth, but there was no damage to my glasses or to my ears. Today, when I took my 168-mile ride was the 3rd time I've worn it on the bike. The first two had been the short trip to Wild West Honda and back and didn't really tell me much except that the eye-port opening was much better placed than the one on the Schuberth. On today's ride I was really impressed the helmet's performance. It was comfortable and felt as if it might be lighter (by a bit) than the Schuberth. It was definitely considerably quieter than the Schuberth -- and Schuberth's have a reputation for being among the quietest of the modular helmets. The ventilation system worked very well and the Pinlock kept condensation from the faceshield. One slight issue was that when I lowered the internal sunshield there was some condensation on it, but it evaporated quickly.

I give the Shoei Neotec 2 five stars. My old Schuberth 3 1/2 stars. The Klim 1 star... but that might be 1 star too many.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Deb has a modular KLIM modular she bought at a club event for a bargain price. It's too small for me but examining the interior, I noticed very shallow ear pockets and I wondered if that would bother me since I've always worn modulars with generous ear pockets, made specifically for speakers. I currently have a Schuberth C3 but it's now around 4-1/2 years old so needs replacement.

I ending up buying a HJC RPHA modular from Revzilla but haven't worn it as yet. My two helmets prior to the Schuberth were HJCs so I'm accustomed to them although this new one feels tighter across the top. The weight is definitely an improvement over the C4.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Did you look at the Nolans again Phil? The N104 EVO that I've got is noted for its huge eyeport. I'm very pleased.

Mike

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Mike, I did a quick look at the Nolans and thought about the N104 EVO, but then sprung for the Neotec 2. Right now I'm very happy with it.

And, DirtFlier, I haven't ever used speakers in a helmet, but I do remember that the Klim ear pockets weren't very large. The Shoei ear pockets are quite large. I think you could fit nearly any speaker into them.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I had a few modular Nolans many moons ago and my only gripe was the metal buckle digging into my short neck but they may have corrected that by now? My Schuberth C3 also uses a metal buckle but has a substantial soft flaps under the buckle to cushion my neck.

Helmets are similar to shoes - everyone has their own favorite - so it's not one being the best for everyone.

ps. the helmet speakers are for my Sena Communicator.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
DirtFlier says: "Helmets are similar to shoes - everyone has their own favorite - so it's not one being the best for everyone."

That's so true! BTW, what would any of you do with a used helmet that's still in good shape. Like my Schuberth C3?

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
DirtFlier says: "Helmets are similar to shoes - everyone has their own favorite - so it's not one being the best for everyone."

That's so true! BTW, what would any of you do with a used helmet that's still in good shape. Like my Schuberth C3?
some one used the shell for a potted plant :D

1573440103890.png

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I rode today while wearing my new HJC RPHA and compared to my 5 year old Schuberth C3, the level of noise suppression was nice. No doubt the padding inside my Schuberth is worn allowing more air to sneak underneath. I never cared for the oversize shell on the Schuberth so the smaller HJC was nice, especially when I had to turn my head to see if cars were coming at a cross street. It also feels quite a bit lighter. :cool:

ps. rain & snow tomorrow so I'm glad I got in a ride today. I also did some work on my venerable Snapper riding mower that I'm donating to a friend's daughter who has a new house.

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,

Keep it and use it for local short rides. I still have my HJC which I use for my commute to work. I save the Nolan for my fun rides and safaris.

Mike

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I wear my 5 year old Neotec as a winter helmet and my new Nolan N21 as my summer helmet.

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
I wear my 5 year old Neotec as a winter helmet and my new Nolan N21 as my summer helmet.
I read that helmets have a 5 year life and should be replaced every 5 years even if visibly undamaged. supposedly 5 year takes a toll on the helmet and it may not protect when needed.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
5 years is the "recommended" time that is often quoted as when you should replace a helmet. Manufactures typically offer a 5 year warranty on them. As far as I know no ones knows or has tested what a helmets "life" is and I am sure it varies from helmet to helmet, the ambient conditions and how often it is worn. I am not all that concerned about it and will probably wear my Neotec for a couple more years.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Good for those of you who can buy a comfortable helmet "off the shelf". I have never been able to do that due to the shape of my head or possibly that I'm too fussy about helmet fit. In the last 15 or so years I've discovered it is best to go to a big show where manufacturers are represented and get their advice. With the help of an experienced helmet representative I go through several steps that have always worked.

1. Determine the shell size. Smaller shell = less helmet buffeting.
2. Try different interior pad sizes to get best fit. The good manufacturers offer different sizes or tear-offs to fine tune fit. Write down the results from fitting at several manufacturers, compare, and decide.
3. Then order the correct size and pads

In the last 25 years I have gone from HJC to Shoei to Arai and back to Shoei. Each helmet was better than the previous one. I believe Arai has a small edge on overall quality of construction, but Shoei is a bit lighter and has better clarity in shield with a tighter seal-up. I've tried 3 times to get a Suberth, but have never been able to find any with good fit.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I've got an N21 retro helmet that I really like. I wear it when I ride my '78 Yammy.

Mike

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I've got an N21 retro helmet that I really like. I wear it when I ride my '78 Yammy.

Mike
My N21 is my go to commuter and summer helmet. It’s about a pound lighter than my Neotec and it has an unrestricted field of vision which is important for city commuting.

Top Bottom