Provin ways to reduce handle bar vibration?

CommuterNT

I'll throw my 2 cents into the mix also. First off let me preface this with I have only owns 2 bikes and I'm a newer rider. When I first bought the bike I did notice some vibrations, but since the last 2000 miles the vibrations are not even noticeable anymore. It only keeps getting smoother and smoother.

For me I think it is more of a physiological thing than anything else. On my previous bike and the NT I've had hand numbness issues. I use a Go Cruise throttle lock to help shake things out and that helps tremendously. Some things I've noticed to relieve some of the hand numbness are making sure that my jacket is not too tight around the inside of my elbow, as this can cut off blood supply to my hand. Also I tend to have a very tight neck and shoulder blade area. A lot of people don't realize how tight they are in this area of the body. This is 1 of the biggest factors in my hand going numb. I try to stretch out before I ride to loosen my neck and shoulders. How tight they are usually determines how fast my hand goes numb. Like others have said using a relaxed and comfortable grip makes it different also. I'm constantly having to consciously think about my writing position and my body to make sure that I am as loose as possible.

CommuterNT

Here's my two cents also on this overly talked about but serious situation for some people. I am one of the many who suffer from numbness in mainly my right hand after a fairly short time. I have a riser, a Go-Cruse to shake things out often and a cramp buster. Honestly the Go-Cruse is probably the best thing I have right now so I can shake things out when needed.

For me I think its a combination of the bike and my own physiology. I've looked extensively on what causes hand numbness while riding a bike and it turns out it can be several things such as carpal tunnel syndrome to tight muscles in your back and shoulder area pushing on nerves. It can also be the result of how your clothing is fitting and possibly cutting off circulation. And of course the bike vibrates but that subject has been hashed to death on this forum already.

So I have looked into various different products that are supposed to help with minimizing the vibrations and they all seem to be more then I want to pay or are lower on my priority list of farkles. Then it occurred to me just the other day, what if I put on rubber washers between the bar end weights and the bars. So I went to my local ACE hardware and picked up 4 for 2 on each end. Took the bar end weights off and placed them on and reattached them. I've been riding for a couple of days now and I believe they are making a difference. Bottom line it is a supper cheap alternative that may give you some relief. I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this but I haven't seen it suggested on here or I have missed it. Let me know if anybody else has some success with this.

Kyle

CommuterNT

Here's my two cents also on this overly talked about but serious situation for some people. I am one of the many who suffer from numbness in mainly my right hand after a fairly short time. I have a riser, a Go-Cruse to shake things out often and a cramp buster. Honestly the Go-Cruse is probably the best thing I have right now so I can shake things out when needed.

For me I think its a combination of the bike and my own physiology. I've looked extensively on what causes hand numbness while riding a bike and it turns out it can be several things such as carpal tunnel syndrome to tight muscles in your back and shoulder area pushing on nerves. It can also be the result of how your clothing is fitting and possibly cutting off circulation. And of course the bike vibrates but that subject has been hashed to death on this forum already.

So I have looked into various different products that are supposed to help with minimizing the vibrations and they all seem to be more then I want to pay or are lower on my priority list of farkles. Then it occurred to me just the other day, what if I put on rubber washers between the bar end weights and the bars. So I went to my local ACE hardware and picked up 4 for 2 on each end. Took the bar end weights off and placed them on and reattached them. I've been riding for a couple of days now and I believe they are making a difference. Bottom line it is a supper cheap alternative that may give you some relief. I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this but I haven't seen it suggested on here or I have missed it. Let me know if anybody else has some success with this.

Kyle
Probably should read that I was the last poster on this thread..........:doh1:

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I've fiddled with this and that. The vibration was never a bigger deal to me than other bikes and way better than some (find and ride a BSA 441 Victor, e.g.). Now it's a minor deal.

But I noticed on a ride last night that I still get a bit of numbness but only in fingers on my right hand and ONLY those fingers that are resting on the brake handle. (When you ride at night where I live you better be on hair-trigger alert for deer.) If I take my fingers down off the brake handle PRESTO!! numbness goes away.

Top Bottom