Puncture!

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Punctures can be a real pain!

I had a puncture in my rear tire (PR4) about 6 weeks ago. As all the bike shops were closed I had to find a way of getting my bike home (about 30 miles). I could have called roadside assistance, but instead, decided to fill the tyre with gunk. This was because the tire was near the end of it's life and it would be best to replace it. The following day I got a brand new PR5 (more about the PR5 later) mounted and off I went.

Then, last week I got a puncture in the brand new PR5 - a screw just like the previous time. It had only done about 1000 miles! This time I was better prepared. I'd bought, on Amazon, a portable battery powered compressor. So time to try it out.

This thing works! It's a no-brainer!!

I just dialed in the pressure I wanted, connected it to the value and presssed the bigger red button (it has it's own battery so you don't need to connect it to the vehicle's battery.) The tire was reading 7.5 psi at start and a couple of minutes later it was at 42 psi. I didn't even need to stop it, it stopped automagically.

I got about half way to my local friendly dealer and decided to check the pressure. Yep, it was down to 28 psi. So out the pump came. It had remembered the previous setting of 42psi. So connected, inflated and off we went again. I got there before closing time and he repaired the tire immediately.

I guess it'll re-inflate a Deauville tire about 3 times from flat to about 40 psi before the internal battery gives out.

I'll now use it to check my tires every week and, because it automagically stops at the right pressure and has a quick connect system, I know my tires are at the correct pressure even allowing for a little loss of air when connecting! The gauge on mine is spot on with my other digital gauge, which I know is accurate.

It comes with both a car cigarette lighter charger and a mains charger, various attachments and some spare valve caps (brilliant idea). It also has a bag to keep it in.

I keep it in my side pannier as it's too big to go under the seat. I'm going to buy one for the new FJR as well.

I can thoroughly recommend this pump. It saved my bacon. Link to Amazon so you can read up about it: Oasser Tire Inflator

The PR5 is not as good on white lines in the wet as the PR4 was. It's an excellent tire but I think the PR4 was a little better.

tawilke46

That is great a local dealer would fix your new tire. I had replaced my tires on a 2009 Suxuki DL650 with Michelin PR4 Trails. The very first ride on the new tires and got a puncture in the rear tire from a nail. No one, no motorcycle dealer, gas station, or anyone else would touch my new tire. LIability risk I assume. But not about to dismiss a punctured new PR4 so easily. So I plugged the hole and have been riding on it ever since, over two years. Holds pressure just fine, though can’t help thinking I am riding on a plugged tire. Pucker power at times......

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I had a puncture on my 1000 mile old Dunlop roadsmart about 2 weeks ago. It seems I only get punctures in new tires. I have it plugged but will probably replace it sooner than I usually do. I think I ran over a nail or screw still attached to some piece of material. I heard it sling off as I ran over it. Turned out to be an expensive pizza I was picking up.

Brad

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I too seem to have a penchant for puncturing new or relatively new rear tires. Being the frugal (read cheap!) person that I am, I bought a stop 'n go mushroom plugging kit and fixed them with it. The kit works great and I simply can't see how one of the mushroom plugs can fail catastrophically. If it leaks, it will be a slow leak at which time the TPMS will alert me to the leak and I can replace the tire. I have yet to have one leak though and the repairs have lasted the natural life of the tires.

Mike

OP
OP
JQL

JQL

Bike
The local dealer used a mushroom and the pressure has remained stable ever since.

Provided you use a mushroom you should be OK.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've got a Stop'n'Go mushroom plugger and back in '12 at Spearfish, FalconAF and I managed to put about 6 plugs into a brand-new PR3 (IIRC) without plugging the leak. We finally used gummy worms and that got us back from Perkins to the city campground, but then it went flat again. I had to be towed from Spearfish to the Rapid City Honda dealer to buy a Dunflop Roadsmart.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I too seem to have a penchant for puncturing new or relatively new rear tires. Being the frugal (read cheap!) person that I am, I bought a stop 'n go mushroom plugging kit and fixed them with it. The kit works great and I simply can't see how one of the mushroom plugs can fail catastrophically. If it leaks, it will be a slow leak at which time the TPMS will alert me to the leak and I can replace the tire. I have yet to have one leak though and the repairs have lasted the natural life of the tires.

Mike
Wow. I dont think I have ever had a puncture on a new tire. But no matter. Poo poo happens. I have a dyna plug and a stop and go and gummys. I have two air pumps and a graduated set of tapered needle rat tailed files cause my weak old hands cant ream out holes with only one reamer anymore. I have stopped carrying the canned tire fix. I do practice on old tires.

I had a puncture in my rear tire (PR4) about 6 weeks ago. As all the bike shops were closed I had to find a way of getting my bike home (about 30 miles). I could have called roadside assistance, but instead, decided to fill the tyre with gunk. This was because the tire was near the end of it's life and it would be best to replace it. The following day I got a brand new PR5 (more about the PR5 later) mounted and off I went.

Then, last week I got a puncture in the brand new PR5 - a screw just like the previous time. It had only done about 1000 miles! This time I was better prepared. I'd bought, on Amazon, a portable battery powered compressor. So time to try it out.

I just dialed in the pressure I wanted, connected it to the value and presssed the bigger red button (it has it's own battery so you don't need to connect it to the vehicle's battery.) The tire was reading 7.5 psi at start and a couple of minutes later it was at 42 psi. I didn't even need to stop it, it stopped automagically.

I got about half way to my local friendly dealer and decided to check the pressure. Yep, it was down to 28 psi. So out the pump came. It had remembered the previous setting of 42psi. So connected, inflated and off we went again. I got there before closing time and he repaired the tire immediately.

I guess it'll re-inflate a Deauville tire about 3 times from flat to about 40 psi before the internal battery gives out.

I'll now use it to check my tires every week and, because it automagically stops at the right pressure and has a quick connect system, I know my tires are at the correct pressure even allowing for a little loss of air when connecting! The gauge on mine is spot on with my other digital gauge, which I know is accurate.

It comes with both a car cigarette lighter charger and a mains charger, various attachments and some spare valve caps (brilliant idea). It also has a bag to keep it in.

I keep it in my side pannier as it's too big to go under the seat. I'm going to buy one for the new FJR as well.

I can thoroughly recommend this pump. It saved my bacon. Link to Amazon so you can read up about it: Oasser Tire Inflator

The PR5 is not as good on white lines in the wet as the PR4 was. It's an excellent tire but I think the PR4 was a little better.
Pretty amazing farkel, although if one already carries a jump pack and has a pump that can be connected to bike or jump pack, it may be just added space. The only real major negative for me is the yacky tacky fill nozzel. I have more issues with those things. I only buy pumps with screw on valves. It is interesting that the whole shootin match only weighs 1.3 lbs. A number of people make this sort of thing. I may keep an eye on them for one with a better nozzel. There is also some ambiguity about filling air mattresses or using during charging....at least in the text.

Would you please explain what your comment ref: the PR5s means?

OP
OP
JQL

JQL

Bike
Would you please explain what your comment ref: the PR5s means?
If you look at the bottom of the Post I give a small comment on the PR5.

To expand slightly: The PR5, in my opinion, isn't as good on white lines in the wet as the PR4. I think this is because there are slightly larger areas of rubber on the PR5 whereas the PR4 had more sipes.

An interesting comment from Coyote Chris about the clip verses the screw on valve connector. I hate the screw on valve connector. It's way too fiddly when working under the pannier which is why I got the one with the clip.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
To expand slightly: The PR5, in my opinion, isn't as good on white lines in the wet as the PR4. I think this is because there are slightly larger areas of rubber on the PR5 whereas the PR4 had more sipes.
Thanks for the comment on PR4 vs R5. Just for clarification, Michelin has dropped the Pilot, now they are just Road 5 ???? I just had new tires installed on the BMW F800GT. I planned to put on PR4s to match the ones on the NT, the Service Manager said that he had fresh Road 5s that he would discount and install for slightly more. He claimed that they were a better tire. I went with the Road 5s, but just rode them home. The only thing I have read is that the larger sipes can collect and throw rocks. I would be interested in other impressions.

OP
OP
JQL

JQL

Bike
In theory the PR5 can clear more water and, yes they do, but they also have larger patches of rubber so, on the more slippery surfaces, they'll slide a bit more. This is what I noticed recently on wet white lines. The PR5 twitches more than the PR4 when leaned over at about 50 mph.

For the way I ride and the type weather I ride in the PR4 is better for me. For a drier climate, the PR5 will be better and, if you live where it rarely rains, the Michelin PR series are probably not for you.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I've ridden in heavy rain several times since I put the Road5 on my NT. If there was any degradation from the PR4, I didn't notice it. Plus, w/ a little over 5K miles, I don't think the rear tire is squaring off as quickly as the PR4 did. Time will tell.

OP
OP
JQL

JQL

Bike
Phil, You have to remember that I'm a nutter (idiot) so there's nearly no difference to how I ride my bike in the wet or dry. I know I'm not on the limit on the Deauville (NT700) so there's no need to change my riding style for the weather. That said, what I noticed was a bigger twitch (nothing untowards) when canted over and crossing white lines on the road. The other thing to reamamber is that French road paint is like ice in the wet so you're going to feel a twitch with any tyre. It's just how big a twitch...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Thanks for the reply, John. I know that with modern tires (almost any of them) I could ride in the rain at the same speeds I ride in the dry, but I still slow down when I'm in town or riding the twisties. After the first few minutes of a rain, I don't slow down much on multi-lane roads. I also don't notice much slickness to lines on most roads I ride on. Bots dots get a twitch and steel-grating bridges make me nervous.

Top Bottom