Question about GPS hook up

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Maybe someone can give me some insight. I am thinking about using my Garmin Nuvi 255wt (a basic car GPS) on my NT. Is there any reason why the capabilities would be reduced on a motorcycle, aside from the obvious weather issues? I can order a handlebar mount and hard wiring kit for this application off the internet for $25.
This seems like a simple and inexpensive solution, but I am sure that someone may have some suggestions or input otherwise. One concern on the hard wiring option would be the exposed mini USB cable end when I remove the GPS unit. I am sure that I can buy or fashion a weatherproof boot or cover for this, but I would have to address this.
If you have any thoughts, please let me know.

Thanks,

One concern on the hard wiring option would be the exposed mini USB cable end when I remove the GPS unit. I am sure that I can buy or fashion a weatherproof boot or cover for this, but I would have to address this.

I have a Nuvi 550 that is weatherproof. I picked up a hardwire kit and it came with a weatherproof cap.

Joe,
The hardwire kit I was looking at may come with a weatherproof cap, but it didn't specifically state that or show one in the pictures.

The one I purchased did not indicate or show a cap.

Thanks. I just placed the order. I think it will work out ok and I'll be able to use one GPS between my car and my bike.

He may be referring to the power plug cover on the unit.

Yes, I was referring to the male end of the mini usb cable when there is no gps attached. I plan on removing the gps in rainy weather and storing it in the Givi box. I just didn't want the end of the hardwired cable to get wet.

Thanks for the advice.

And having that cable end get wet, does make a difference. I blew the fuse on my cig lighter port, when I let that cable end sit out and get wet. Only fuse I have blown on the NT, with all the farkles I've put on.

Both the Nuvi 550 and the hardwire cable i purchased have prtective caps.

I use my car unit on the bike. Bag the GPS when it rains (not much around here). RAM mounts are nice and allow for that extra bit of plastic.

And yes, I would either boot the end of the cable or tuck it in the side compartment when not being used.

Anybody ever go this route?

attachment.php

Charlie, good idea about tucking the usb cable end inside the side glove box compartment when not in use.

Igo, what is the guage you have installed in front of the tach?

Looks like a thermometer to me. Probably his boost gauge for the turbocharger.

Charlie, good idea about tucking the usb cable end inside the side glove box compartment when not in use.

Igo, what is the guage you have installed in front of the tach?

That is the subject of my next thread. Reliable Thermometer.

So your running 12 pounds of boost, no wonder your silver bike is faster. Kidding aside you may want to take your Joe Rocket tank bag to a shoe repair place and have them modify your bags window larger for the GPS, on rainy days of course. Did that with an old tank bag. Shoe repair places will normally sew anything for a price.

The GPS is waterproof. Very waterproof. The little window is for cell phone. Something that will never be on or in site while I'm riding unless there is an emergency.

Back
Top Bottom