Question for those who removed seat latch in case sidelids wouldn't open:

Bike
Red NT700V 2010, #1004.
When seat latch was removed, did you do anything to keep seat from sliding back, especially when pushing bike backwards like from parking spot?
I'm glad I took the suggestion to remove seat latch last Spring, even though I had re-enforced the latch area with epoxy, and had never had a problem with opening or closing the lids. One day, mid-Summer, I went to open the left lid, and it was stuck closed. When I lifted the seat off, I found a large mud-dauber nest built on the opening mechanism, keeping it from moving. (I have a pond right across the driveway from my house, so here in southern Illinois, mud-daubers are a major nuisance building their mud nests everywhere)
I find that the seat slides back now. Any suggestions to keep it in place?
Thanks

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
I removed the latch mechanism, but the metal loop on the seat is still there. Given that it still 'slots into' the slot on the metal bracket that held the latch, my seat doesn't move. For me, the only downside to not having the latch is that in an accident, the seat may not stay with the bike (hope not to experience!), and that it wouldn't prevent a thief or troublemaker from getting under the seat and messing with the electronics. But I haven't noticed any play in the seat.

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
I chose to fit a small release wire, attached to the lock lever, which hangs down an inch or so into the underside of the rear plastic mudguard and has a loop in it just large enough to slip your finger through and pull. There is a small hole in the plastic (original, not made by me) to the Left of the catch that you can hang the tie-wire through. It requires no modification to the bike and is small enough and high enough that you would never know it is there unless it is pointed out to you. With it you can release the seat without the key or opening the LH pannier and then release the pannier latch with your finger.

Macka

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
My experience is the same as "Sojourner". I ran mine without the latch mechanism for several years with no issues. I actually preferred the easy access to my undersea storage and battery etc. The seat never slid back or came off. I did put a tie-down on it the one time I hauled the bike to assure turbulent wind on an open trailer wouldn't lift the seat up and off.

Top Bottom