Question on plastic color

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I’m thinking of buying a 2010 nt700v with low mileage. One curious this is the plastic parts are much lighter in color than I’ve seen. Are there variations? Or is this something to be concerned about?

Attachments

• D2FFDD88-56C5-45B0-BA63-56E4FA6C7420.jpeg
    D2FFDD88-56C5-45B0-BA63-56E4FA6C7420.jpeg
    102.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 008D7AE7-719A-49E7-9CD4-9E36EBB40986.jpeg
    008D7AE7-719A-49E7-9CD4-9E36EBB40986.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 32
They are faded from the sun. The only permanent solution is to repaint with a plastic friendly satin trim paint.

Looks to me like it has lived outside. The black plastic does fade. Several folks on here have tried different restoration methods with some results better than others.

The seller maintains it was stored inside, but he is the second owner. He is asking 3600 with 6878 miles. Should this be a deal killer? (If he’s maybe not telling the truth re: storage).

Hi Blueridge,

I haven't had an NT since 2015, but I think my experiences might help you. My NT was garage kept, but I did commute to work on it often. The motorcycle parking spot meant the right side of the bike got full sun all day. My plastics looked exactly like your photos until I "painted" them. It has been awhile, but you might find my old post on here with photos. I put "painted" in quotes because, I was worried about ruining the finish with a bad rattle can job, so I used a product called Plasti-dip. Plasti-dip is essentially a rubber paint in a spray can. This also means that it is not permanent. I think it worked great for the most part . I did have to redo one panel because it started to peel where I didn't get good coverage on an edge. The plasti-dip was still looking good when I traded the bike in, and it was not that faded grey color either. The plastics were just fine even when they looked grey. Painting them with plasti-dip or paint just makes them look new again.

I think if I were to do it again, I would find a good Krylon plastic paint instead, but the plasti-dip route might help prevent further sun damage if you don't want something permanent.

Faded grey plastics would not prevent me from buying another NT. The plastics in the back around the license plate might be the hardest to repaint, but the removable pieces were very easy to paint.

Hi Blueridge,

I haven't had an NT since 2015, but I think my experiences might help you. My NT was garage kept, but I did commute to work on it often. The motorcycle parking spot meant the right side of the bike got full sun all day. My plastics looked exactly like your photos until I "painted" them. It has been awhile, but you might find my old post on here with photos. I put "painted" in quotes because, I was worried about ruining the finish with a bad rattle can job, so I used a product called Plasti-dip. Plasti-dip is essentially a rubber paint in a spray can. This also means that it is not permanent. I think it worked great for the most part . I did have to redo one panel because it started to peel where I didn't get good coverage on an edge. The plasti-dip was still looking good when I traded the bike in, and it was not that faded grey color either. The plastics were just fine even when they looked grey. Painting them with plasti-dip or paint just makes them look new again.

I think if I were to do it again, I would find a good Krylon plastic paint instead, but the plasti-dip route might help prevent further sun damage if you don't want something permanent.

Faded grey plastics would not prevent me from buying another NT. The plastics in the back around the license plate might be the hardest to repaint, but the removable pieces were very easy to paint.
Thanks, that’s good info.

Aside from the cosmetics, I was concerned about possible dry rot it is was stored outside. Any telltale signs I could look for?

Blueridge, it sure wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me. I put 139,000 miles on my first NT between March of '10 and July of '21. I had been hit by a deer (at high noon, no less!) in '16 and when I picked it up in Albuquerque was very impressed with the color of all the previously faded plastic. The lockable cover on the storage pocket had been replaced with new, but the rest of it looked almost as good and stayed that way till I traded it in for #2. #2 only had 22K miles (even though it was 16 serial numbers older) and the plastic was great. I called the dealer in Spokane after I got home and asked what they used. This was their answer: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014C1FP4I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm impressed with this product and recommend it if you don't feel like painting.

In the 139K I rode Dudley (#1) my two biggest problems were two rebuilds of the final drive after Honda techs neglected to lube the splines with Honda Moly60 after replacing rear tires. Neither of those cost me much. The first one was under my extended warranty and the 2nd one I got the parts at dealer cost and was only charged one hour of labor because they had the wheel off to replace a tire. The most annoying problem was a fuel pump that started going bad at about 130K. My 2nd NT, Horse, goes in the shop today to have some electrical issues (that I caused) straightened out and to have the forks serviced. I'm guessing that it just didn't get ridden enough to keep the seals good. Dudley in '20:

P1070170.JPG

Horse in 2021:

IMG_0001 (2).JPG

Last edited:
ChrisFix has a video on YouTube
where he talks about Armour Ceramic Coating, stating his tests show it works great on faded plastics and lasts a long time. But at $70 for a few ounces, https://avalonking.com/ compared to a $3 rattle can, it hardly seems worth it.

I’m thinking of buying a 2010 nt700v with low mileage. One curious this is the plastic parts are much lighter in color than I’ve seen. Are there variations? Or is this something to be concerned about?

That is UV damage. No commercially available plastic restores will be able to revive it.

You have 2 options:

1. Paint the ones that are on the bike. - I used Rustoleum Semi-Gloss Black.
  2. Buy all new plastics. - Some items are cheap while others are significantly more.

Wrong, Kemo Sabe. The Maxima High Gloss Coating works very well.

I beg to differ.

When the plastic's surface has dried out to the point it turns to powder, you are beyond the point of no return.

New OEM Black Plastics run from $2 to 200 depending on the part.

A can of Rustoleum costs less than $5. I am just saying...

I also stored my NT inside but it stayed outside in the Arkansas sun in the work parking lot. The black plastic got pretty sun damaged, some pieces worse than others. I replaced the small cheap parts.
Probably not a deal killer, depends how clean & pretty you like things.

Brad

Back
Top Bottom