Question on reading codes

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Hello! Newbie here - first time posting. (Hopefully in the correct forum!) I read the post on reading the engine codes, which was very helpful. After shorting out the green and brown wires indicated, and turning the ignition key on, I was able to count the flashes on the MIL (or "check engine light).

My problem is I do not know if the codes are: 19, 12, and 13... or 9, 2, and 3.

The light comes on with one long flash and then 9 short flashes... then continues with one long and then 2 short flashes... then one long and 3 short flashes. Then the sequence begins again. SO... is this 19, 12, and 13 or 9, 2, and 3?

(I took a video of the codes and sequence and can upload that if it helps).

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Welcome Aboard and Greetings from SoCal. :cool:

I do believe that this thread will have the information that you are looking for.
PGMI-FI Codes

19 is a big hitter as it is the Crankshaft Position Sensor fault. If you are getting this fault the bike will not start.

OP
OP
Fishermark
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
It's hard to tell how old these codes are - and which actually came on the other day. I went ahead and cleared the codes. Hopefully it will not happen again! Thanks for the info.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
It's hard to tell how old these codes are - and which actually came on the other day. I went ahead and cleared the codes. Hopefully it will not happen again! Thanks for the info.
Be advised that there have been defective CPS sensors installed at the factory. I had one on my bike. Then the sensor gets heat soaked after being ridden and you stop for a short errand or appointment. The bike will start after you come out. Wait for the bike to cool for a half-hour or so and it will start right up. This is a telltale that the CPS needs to be replaced.

At first, this issue did not happen enough to make any connection to the cause of the issue. It started to happen more often as time progressed. Do yourself a favor and order one of these sensors and keep it until it is needed. 2010 Honda NT700V - Item 9

Good Luck...

OP
OP
Fishermark
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Thanks for the info. Actually I was stuck in traffic the other day and the fan came on while I was sitting at the traffic light. I went a little further down the road and stopped for a quick bite of lunch. When I came out the bike did not start right up like it normally does. It took some cranking, then finally started, but ran rough. Light was on the whole time I drove home - about five minutes. Went out later to see and it started fine with no light on. That's what caused me to see how to check for stored codes.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
This is a good strategy, now a reoccurring code 19 pretty much confirms you need to replace the crank sensor. Especially if it causes a no-start with engine hot.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Thanks for the info. Actually I was stuck in traffic the other day and the fan came on while I was sitting at the traffic light. I went a little further down the road and stopped for a quick bite of lunch. When I came out the bike did not start right up like it normally does. It took some cranking, then finally started, but ran rough. Light was on the whole time I drove home - about five minutes. Went out later to see and it started fine with no light on. That's what caused me to see how to check for stored codes.
Sounds a lot like what had gone through. You're in the early stages then. The CPS will need to be replaced in the near future.

FYI, after replacing the CPS I never had that issue again. Just something for you to think about.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Hello! Newbie here - first time posting. (Hopefully in the correct forum!) I read the post on reading the engine codes, which was very helpful. After shorting out the green and brown wires indicated, and turning the ignition key on, I was able to count the flashes on the MIL (or "check engine light).

My problem is I do not know if the codes are: 19, 12, and 13... or 9, 2, and 3.
There isn't a 3... so, I'd suspect you're getting the 19, 12, and 13.

If it were me, I'd reset all the codes so the ECM is empty and only new codes will be saved going forward. Learn to do the kickstand down, neutral, clutch released method to read codes for the next time you get an active fault.

It's difficult to come up with fault that would cause all three of your codes simultaneously other than the ECM freaking out. A 12, 13, or 19 would have prevented an engine start. 19 (Crank Position Sensor Failure) is by far the more popular failure on the NT, but it could be a mistake to rule out a 12 or as causing your recent problem.

OP
OP
Fishermark
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Brillot2000 the link you posted (#9) is for a
GENERATOR ASSY., PULSE
30300-MEW-921

Is that the Crankshaft Position Sensor?

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Brillot2000 the link you posted (#9) is for a
GENERATOR ASSY., PULSE
30300-MEW-921

Is that the Crankshaft Position Sensor?
Yes, it is. On other bikes it’s called a Pulse Generator. I don’t know why Honda has 2 different names for the same component when it comes to the NT. :shrug2:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
There isn't a 3... so, I'd suspect you're getting the 19, 12, and 13.

If it were me, I'd reset all the codes so the ECM is empty and only new codes will be saved going forward. Learn to do the kickstand down, neutral, clutch released method to read codes for the next time you get an active fault.

It's difficult to come up with fault that would cause all three of your codes simultaneously other than the ECM freaking out. A 12, 13, or 19 would have prevented an engine start. 19 (Crank Position Sensor Failure) is by far the more popular failure on the NT, but it could be a mistake to rule out a 12 or as causing your recent problem.
Should you truly have multiple DTC's that come up simultaneously, don't assume that all the components indicated are faulty and replace them all. Generally, it has been my experience that multiple simultaneous DTC's can be traced back to a faulty ground or pseudo ground that is common to all.

Mike

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Should you truly have multiple DTC's that come up simultaneously, don't assume that all the components indicated are faulty and replace them all. Generally, it has been my experience that multiple simultaneous DTC's can be traced back to a faulty ground or pseudo ground that is common to all.

Mike
The following statement follows the same issues I was having intermittently.
I went a little further down the road and stopped for a quick bite of lunch. When I came out the bike did not start right up like it normally does. It took some cranking, then finally started, but ran rough.
It only got worse as time progressed. The random case became more frequent and the bike would not start after the sensor has been "Temperature Soaked" after riding the bike anywhere.

It got so bad, it would start when leaving work. After getting home and killing the engine, it would not restart and would throw code 19 consistently. Tough to argue with those results.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
It got so bad, it would start when leaving work. After getting home and killing the engine, it would not restart and would throw code 19 consistently. Tough to argue with those results.
Yeah, with just a single fault code and those symptoms, a CKP was a reasonable guess. My comment above related to the issue of multiple codes.

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
In Hondaworld, the part name is set for life when the original drawing for that part is created. When they started to install the Bank Angle Sensor on some bikes, I suggested they call it the "Tipover Switch" because that name would make more sense. My suggestion fell on deaf ears....oh well. :-(

OP
OP
Fishermark
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Thanks to everyone for their help. Since I have now cleared the codes I will wait and see if it happens again. In the meantime, I will take a look at whatever grounds and connections I can find and try to ensure they are clean and secure. If another code 19 does pop up in the future I will be looking at buying and installing a crank position sensor. I am sure I will ask for help installing it at that time! ;-)

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
By the way, a defective crank position sensor doesn't get better on its own!

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Mel Brooks humor would offend EVERYONE in this day and age. but I loved it! He was a genius!

Mike

Top Bottom