Quick ABS Question

samh

I just wanted to confirm that the 2011 NT700v has front and rear ABS? The spec on the honda site is confusing and leads to the conclusion that it has rear only.

Thx
Sam

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
My guess is that we'll never see another NT without ABS after the current stock of 2010 non-ABS bikes is gone. European Union regs are pushing for ABS on everything. IMNSHO, this is a good thing.

The ABS-equipped NT has Combined Braking and ABS. If you use the rear brake pedal only you'll still get some front braking...the system apportions some of the effort to the middle cylinder on the left front brake. If you only use the brake lever, all the braking force goes through (I assume) the other five front brake cylinders). ABS works all the time on both front and rear.

Do you have a 2011 you're waiting on??

Last edited:

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
It works on both wheels. It works when the bike is upright and leaned over. it will not prevent rear wheel lock up caused by the engine or prevent you from dragging things like your center stand on the ground.
enjoy your ride

OP
OP

samh

I have a 2009 BMW G650GS right now, with ABS. I'm planning on buying another bike at 30k, which is 10k from now, and I really like the NT. Most of the riding I do is touring or inner city riding. I don't really ride off road. I like the GS as I have it configured now, but I've put a ton of cash into windscreen and bags and seat and gps and.... Also the whole dealer-network thing is appealing on the honda. There is a dealership a cab ride from my house.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I have a 2009 BMW G650GS.... Also the whole dealer-network thing is appealing on the honda. There is a dealership a cab ride from my house.
Bob Higdon, legal counsel and historian for the Iron Butt Association, rides his second NT after putting 36,000 on the first one in less than a year, and after riding BMWs (mostly K-75s) for, oh, I don't know, probably 8-10 million miles or so. He got peeved when his last BMW's final drive failed in extreme rural Montana and the nearest BMW dealer was 4-500 miles away.

He says that the NT is the K-75 replacement BMW should have built and that there are Honda dealers everywhere! We were having this conversation at the Denver Tech Center Marriot hotel where last year's Iron Butt Association National Meeting was being held, and Higdon said, "Heck, there's a Honda dealer right down the hall from my room here in the hotel." I never got up to his floor, but have noticed that Honda dealers are more ubiquitous than BMW dealers seem to be. :)

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I don't believe this is correct. Both front and rear are activated by either brake actuator.
CBS does not activate the rear brake when the front brake lever is applied. CBS only comes in to play when the rear foot brake is depressed and then it performs a partial activation of the front brake...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I don't believe this is correct. Both front and rear are activated by either brake actuator. Three pistons front and one piston rear with application of front brake lever. Rear brake pedal applies three pistons rear, one front. It not proportional. This allows performance riding by dragging the rear brake through a corner. Proportional would not allow this. Combined braking includes front and rear no matter what. But more braking force is applied with what you have selected to brake with (front or rear).
Sorry, lcseds, you are wrong on this one. The Combined Braking System on the VFR800 did activate a piston on the rear caliper when you used the brake lever, but the NT only goes rear to front with the combination.

The online magazine www.roadbikemag.com has a good description in their review:

"When you intend to stop, the NT700V employs Honda’s combined braking system in a triple-disc arrangement. The CBS system features two non floating 296mm front rotors gripped by three-piston calipers and a single 276mm rear rotor with a dual-piston brake caliper. When the rear brake is applied, a combination of the rear brake caliper plus one piston of the left front brake caliper are pressed into service, thus maintaining a balanced, strong braking action. The ABS option adds better stopping control, yet adds only $1,000 to the base price of the NT700V."

When I get home I'll double check the shop manual and see if it describes the action.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
:law1::think1:SOOOOOOO....be very cautious if you try police officer rear wheel control braking to do tight maneuvers...it could spill ya...
Actually, as far as I can tell, it works fine when you're doing rear wheel control braking. I don't do that as hard as some of the cops do, but when I've used it that way, it didn't interfere.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Actually, the technique of dragging the rear brake and slipping the clutch seems to work very well. The amount of front brake added does not seem to be enough cause the type of spill you envision.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I have just purchased your latest book...I am digesting it..Yours were the first books I read,before I purchased my first bike in '06.I also last week bought a "new" 2008 VFR with full GIVI bags and a top case.I went practicing...slow sharp turns using my back brake...then someone mentioned that perhaps that technique is not as effective if the brakes are linked....like my VFR'r are....your thoughts please....Sincerely Patt. M. Loo
Patt, whose book? books?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I'd never heard of him, but I just ordered one of his books. Slow-speed stuff makes me more nervous than anything I do. I've even thought about taking the MSF Basic Rider course again just to rebuild my confidence.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Both front and rear are activated by either brake actuator..... Combined braking includes front and rear no matter what. But more braking force is applied with what you have selected to brake with (front or rear).
From page 61 of the Owners Manual: "Your motorcycle is equipped with a Combined Braking System. Operating the front brake lever applies the front brake. Operating the rear brake pedal applies the rear brake and a portion of the front brake. For full braking effectiveness, use both the lever and the pedal simultaneously, as you would with a conventional motorcycle braking system."

Also on Page 17-9 of the Service Manual is a schematic of the brake system hydraulic plumbing. It shows that on both the non-ABS and ABS models, pressure from the front master cylinder goes to the upper and lower piston of the left front brake and to all three pistons of the right front brake. Pressure from the rear master cylinder goes to both pistons of the rear brake through a proportional control valve and to the center piston of the left front brake before it goes through the proportional control valve.

[I would have assumed that the PCV would have been in line before the split of the brake lines to the front and rear brakes.]

I know that the VFR did have the front brake lever sending power to one piston on the rear brake. For some reason, that was changed on the NT. Maybe so you could come closer to being able to drag a rear brake like on a non-combined system.

I'm still not quite sure what the combined system brings to the party, unless it was aimed at those folks like my old neighbor who told me, "Never use your front brake. It'll bring you down. The only safe brake is your rear brake."

lcseds

I stand corrected. It is the "Dual" CBS found on larger bikes with dual front discs that activate a rear piston.

lcseds

They are referred to as Dual CBS on Honda's information about brake development.

To quote the paper on brakes:

"Dual CBS for large sports tourers

Honda has further advanced Combi Brake, which will work simultaneously on the front and rear wheels by operation of the pedal (left lever) only, to develop dual CBS for application to much larger sports models. Based on the front double disk brake and rear disk brake, this not only brakes the front and rear wheels at the same time by applying the pedal, but also applies braking force on the rear wheel when the right lever is operated. The dual CBS enabled to efficiently decelerate and reduce nosedive. "

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
They are referred to as Dual CBS on Honda's information about brake development.

To quote the paper on brakes:

"Dual CBS for large sports tourers

Honda has further advanced Combi Brake, which will work simultaneously on the front and rear wheels by operation of the pedal (left lever) only, to develop dual CBS for application to much larger sports models. Based on the front double disk brake and rear disk brake, this not only brakes the front and rear wheels at the same time by applying the pedal, but also applies braking force on the rear wheel when the right lever is operated. The dual CBS enabled to efficiently decelerate and reduce nosedive. "
My ST1300 has Linked brakes, Front to rear and rear to front. So does the VFR And I can attest to the fact they work very well in conjunction with the ABS

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yes, the ABS works on the rear wheel. I had it 'working' just the other day on the road in front of my house. Stabbed the brake pedal a bit hard and could feel the rear wheel brake 'pulse'.

I like linked brakes. I have them on my Guzzi as well. That one actives one front disk and the rear disk with the pedal. Brake lever actuates the other front disk.

Tom Pappas

Has anyone ever activated the ABS brakes on their NT, and can you describe what it felt like? A friend of mine went to an advanced riders course, and part of it was to experience the feel of the ABS brakes activating. Thanks.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I think I activated my front brake's ABS once for about two pulses. It was raining and a driver ran a red light in front of me. I grabbed (and I know you're supposed to squeeze) the front brake, and felt two pumps. The bike slowed enough that I missed the car. It was very quick. I think sometimes about trying to activate it on purpose but not in an emergency. But I haven't done it yet.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
:bump:HMMM Phil...was that possibly your HEART you felt pump??
Welll, there were two things that pumped. I thought one was my brakes. The other was a muscle near where I was sitting. :)

Top Bottom