Quick suggestion for removing saddlebag assemblies

I'd like to share a quick suggestion that makes the job of removing the large plastic inner saddlebag assemblies much easier. This pertains to removing the assemblies so you can get access to the latch mechanisms, either to clean and lube the mechanisms, or to check/repair the plastic "tower" mounts for the latches.

Trick is this. Just remove one side at a time, while leaving the other side still on the bike and bolted to the rear tail light and rear fender assemblies. That way, these assemblies, and the wiring and cables at the rear of the bike, all stay in place.

So, once you have removed the rear rack cover and side grab handles, unhook the latch cable to one side, remove the inner hex head bolts on that side (and don't forget the sneaky self tapping screw that holds the pass-through slot portions together), remove the single hex head bolt at the forward end of the assembly, and you can slide that side's assembly away from the bike easily. Do your maintenance on that side, reinstall it (making sure the pass through sections line up and slide together), then go and remove the other side.

And by the way, one of the issues in removing these assemblies is that the lower hex bolts screw into fittings that are exposed to road dirt, water, salt etc, and are prone to corrode. I always smear grease on these fittings and the threads to reduce chance of rusting in place for future servicing.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Thanks for the tip, Chris. I'm going to be doing some work on the pannier latches next week. I might just use draw latches since I've got them.

Top Bottom