Quickie Rear wheel removal

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I think I am missing something here. I read the procedure to remove the rear wheel, watched the videos, read the threads......
When it comes time to change the rear tire, this is what I am going to do...
I will probably remove the rear fender just to say I know how....but with my Connie I build a quick little platform out of 2x10s or 2x12s held together
with metal strapping brackets and deck screws...I ride the bike up onto it, put it on the center stand, and take away the wood under the rear wheel.
Instant 4 inch clearance. May not be enough here but it might work.
I break the axel nut loose with a closed end 27mm combo wrench and a piece of pipe for an extension.

That leaves the caliper as the only PITA to deal with, as the muffler is still on.
But can it be that much of a PITA compared with removing the muff?

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
6 weeks ago I just removed my rear wheel without taking off muffler. I think the book says to take it off, but if you use a box wrench and not a socket with rachet, you can get it off. I was also able to take off the rear caliper with muffler on. Since you have that nice hole on the platform, you won't need to take off the plastic rear fender. I did start to loosen all bolts on muffler, tried to wiggle it loose, whew, that was going to be a bear, so went back to look again and I could take everything off. If I can get it done, so will you be able!

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Chris,
With a platform like you describe or a lift you can remove the rear wheel without disturbing the muffler. Here is mine from gallery. http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/album.php?albumid=113.

You can also get the brake caliper on and off but it is tight in there. Still better to me than removing muffler and/or fender.

Brad

Last edited:

bicyclist

The muffler is a PITA to remove the first couple of times. However, I recommend doing it because it becomes easier after it has been done and loosened up. Sooner or later, you'll need to remove it for some reason and it'll be a whole lot easier if it hasn't become locked in place by thousands of miles of use. The same is true of other things on the motorcycle. If you think you're going to need to work on it, you might as well take it apart before it gets all seized up. I learned years ago to take all the hardware off the exhaust system when the bike is new and lube it up with anti-seize. Nothing like breaking the exhaust studs off in the head to make your day.

Another reason to take the muffler off when you remove the rear wheel is that you can't get a torque wrench on the axle nut with it in the way unless you have a special extension for the wrench. I think it's important to have the correct load on the bearings back there.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Chris,
With a platform like you describe or a lift you can remove the rear wheel without disturbing the muffler. Here is mine from gallery. http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/album.php?albumid=113.

You can also get the brake caliper on and off but it is tight in there. Still better to me than removing muffler and/or fender.

Brad
Oh great Brad....now I have platform envy! Yours is much better than mine!

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
The muffler is a PITA to remove the first couple of times. However, I recommend doing it because it becomes easier after it has been done and loosened up. Sooner or later, you'll need to remove it for some reason and it'll be a whole lot easier if it hasn't become locked in place by thousands of miles of use. The same is true of other things on the motorcycle. If you think you're going to need to work on it, you might as well take it apart before it gets all seized up. I learned years ago to take all the hardware off the exhaust system when the bike is new and lube it up with anti-seize. Nothing like breaking the exhaust studs off in the head to make your day.

Another reason to take the muffler off when you remove the rear wheel is that you can't get a torque wrench on the axle nut with it in the way unless you have a special extension for the wrench. I think it's important to have the correct load on the bearings back there.
Hey George,

Here is an on line calculator for special extensions for your torque wrench.
http://www.engineersedge.com/manufacturing_spec/torque_wrench_1.htm

I dont know anything about bicycles, but in motorcycles, I dont think there is a one to one correlation between the torque of the axel nut and the force on the
bearings. The axel bolt and nut bear more the swing arm assy, which "pushes back", as it were. I am not sure about this but I would like to hear from anyone who can prove me wrong.
I have been wrong before.
I do think correct torque is a good thing but if you consider the fact that most manuals say put on the correct torque and then go forward or back till the cotter pin holes align, I dont think
it is super critical. Anyone else?
BTW, I have three torque wrenches....I have no idea what the plus or minus accuracy of them is or if they are calibrated.....
chris

Bike
2010 Silver NT ABS
I agree with bicyclist, take the muffler loose once or twice during the early ownership period before everything gets a chance to corrode/dirt up and lock together even tighter. I used a brake/gear fork (a piece of wood works also) right at the joint where the pipes split and tap the muffler off. Found the area around the caliper was too tight for the meat hooks I use as hands without removing muffler. Dropping muffler only takes me 10-15 minutes now.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Red NT 700
I have removed the rear wheel both ways. First without removing the muffler... I gave up on disconnecting the 02 sensor; very frustrating until I discovered a video that made it relatively easy for the next couple of times. Still the last time, I went back to leaving the muffler on and will probably do so in the future. It's just easier and less time consuming.

I never remove the rear fender. I hang my rear wheel out the raised entrance to my shed where I keep my bike. There's plenty of room to drop the wheel down and out.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I agree with others here on using anti seize on exhaust if it is removed. Anti seize is good stuff.

Brad

bicyclist

I gave up on disconnecting the 02 sensor
Herb, I haven't disconnected the O2 sensor because it's such a PITA. There's enough slack to pull the muffler off the headers, but not enough to lay it on the ground, so I prop it on a piece of wood.

Chris, I don't know whether these bikes pre-load the bearings with torque on the axle. My comment is based on experience with BMWs. I've only had the wheel off a couple of times and can't remember the setup. Gotta get the new tires and metal valve stems on before I ship out next month, so I'll be getting a look soon.

Top Bottom