Radiator cap trap door.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Here is how I made a quick and dirty but elegant trap door so that I could get to my radiator cap easily just by taking out the right fairing pocket.
I used a carbarundum wheel on my dremel tool to cut out the fore and aft cut all the way through, then cut only about half way or so through the
Hinge part. Once back on the bike, I sealed the door down into its normal position with a dap of RTV that could easily be broken or taken off.

tawilke46

I did not bother with a trap-door.
I just removed that section of plastic altogether and it has not made any noticeable difference to airflow.

Macka
+1, did the same, just removed a section of plastic. The plastic was thicker than I imagined and took more time to remove.

I hacksawed that tab off after I could see no logical reason that it was there. I mean besides impede your ability to remove radiator cap that is.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
+1, did the same, just removed a section of plastic. The plastic was thicker than I imagined and took more time to remove.
Oh no! The whole bike will now BLOW UP because of the missing piece of plastic!!!! :crackup:

tawilke46

Like SableAble, could not think of why the flared piece of plastic was right over the radiator cap. :confused: Unless it provided a way of deflecting hot coolant away from the rider if the cap failed. Which has never happened to me, motorcycle or vehicle.

Top Bottom